Mosley vs. Vargas

This excellent fight is coming up soon and since the old boxing thread kinda fizzled out, I though I’d post this on a new thread.

Both of these fighters are on the downside of their careers but are still relatively young and still might have a lot left. This is your classic crossroads fight and it’s hard to pick a winner.

Any boxing fans out there with an opinion on this? I’m taking Mosley by decision or late KO.

i think mosley is better at everything, but vargas is a strong guy with skill and heart

im looking forward to it

ill take sugar to win

both these guys are past it and have looked horrible in their last few fights.

mosley has the tools to beat vargas…who is only 28 years old…but a very very old 28.

either way i’m somewhat disinterested…call me crazy, but IMO both were overrated even in their primes…and they are both basically washed up. a true crossroads fight with the loser’s career more or less ending…and the winner MAYBE getting 1 more shot at a title.

mosley by UD or late TKO.

I like Vargas, but only because he sounds like he could be the super-villian in a James Bond movie.

I think this is a good matchup and am looking foward to it. Both are great offensively and can be hit, Vargas most of all. I think Mosley’s hand speed and durability should get him the victory. To me, Vargas never looked solid since being knocked out by Trinidad. As for Mosley, he is past his prime, and like most super gifted offensive fighter he may have been overrated after the Dela Hoya win (the first), but I think he has a lot left and will ko Vargas late like De la Hoya did.

Great to see some replies to this thread. I just noticed that I spelled Mosley’s name wrong in the title, oh well.

About both fighters being overated. Hard to say. I think Mosley is more of a natural lightweight or Jr. Welter and should have stayed there. I agree that Vargas hasn’t looked the same since Trinidad and he was probably brought along too fast.

Vargas has lost a lot of weight very quickly for this fight. He may come out quick and maybe rock Mosley early, but he’ll fade out late.

Vargas was probably brought up to fast, but he had a lot of talent and was beating world class opposition after 10-12 fights if I remember. He did beat Quartey and Winky Wright (though I gave it to Wright at the time, he had a better showing than Mosley against him), both of whom are very good championship type guys.

The thing with him is he can either be on offense or on defense but can’t seem to do both at the same time so is susceptible to counters. Mosley, like Dela Hoya and Trinidad, will not be overwhelmed by Vargas’s offense and has the speed to counter effectively, therefore i am giving him the edge. I agree that Vargas will start strong and bully mosley early though…

It seems obvious that Vargas is a big strong guy but unfortunately, not so true, he has a weak chin…he cannot take a hard punch to the kisser…Mosely wins in 6.

MB

mosely should take this one easily. his chin is solid and he has heart…plus he still has enough speed and technical skills to give vargas fits. bad matchup for vargas…everything he does well, mosely has and always will do better.

Vargas definitely was brought along too quick…he beat quartey, campas and kind of received a gift against wright, all at a pretty young age…trinidad and de la hoya ruined him. permanently. he’s shot. i mean he was floored by rivera, and castellejo rocked him. both with right hands…and mosely’s right is much better than both of those fighters…spells trouble for vargas.

I’m not sure how to view mosley’s career. great fighter no doubt. but i don’t consider beating oscar a tremendous accomplishment (the second “win” could have gone either way)…as the man is 0-4 against his best opposition…beat aging or well past their prime former champs, and no matter what the scorecards say he lost to sturm and whitaker…a very well managed career…but not staggering when you look deeper. so beating the “fraudulent boy” is not the most impressive feat IMO. mosely is also 0-4 against wright and forrest…although they were naturally bigger men.

anyways, mosely by UD. possibly a late TKO. he’ll out box vargas all night.

like i said in my earlier post, im taking mosely

but i think some of you dont give vargas enough of a chance

Vargas, in a stunning upset.

[quote]magyar wrote:
Vargas, in a stunning upset.[/quote]

hehe… you never know!

on a side note…

fitz the whip vanderpool works out in the same gym as i do. maybe i’ll ask him what he thinks of the upcoming fight and post it here for shits and gigs. he fought vargas pre tito and odlh drubbings.

[quote]juice20jd wrote:
on a side note…

fitz the whip vanderpool works out in the same gym as i do. maybe i’ll ask him what he thinks of the upcoming fight and post it here for shits and gigs. he fought vargas pre tito and odlh drubbings.[/quote]

While it would be cool to get a fighter’s prediction, my bet is that he picks Vargas. Usually when a fighter is asked to pick a winner in a fight and he’s lost to one of them, his own ego causes him to pick the one that he lost to.

…After all if he beat me, he’s gotta be really great…

Good fight last night! Went pretty much as expected with Mosley stopping Vargas late. Vargas’s eye was pretty much closed when the ref stopped it, but I thought he was still in the fight and could have continued.

good fight…pretty much even when the stoppage occured.

good stoppage too! vargas’ eye was completely closed and the swelling was outrageous, he would have gotten hurt if the fight continued, since he couldn’t even stop the straight right with an open/functioning eye.

although a decent fight, i still don’t think either one of these guys are championship material in their present form…both still able to win fights, but I highly doubt against elite fighters. kinda similar to where gatti is.

I think it will be interesting if Mosley gets a fight with Floyd Mayweather. I would give the edge to Floyd, but it would be interesting to see Shane fight someone who’s naturally the smaller guy.

Juice: I get your point, but I think both Mosley and Vargas are both still on a much higher level than someone like Gatti.