Mortgage or Tithe?

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BTW, everything you are and everything you have is God’s too. Your refusal to recognize that is entirely irrelevant to that fact. It is not however irrelevant to your state before Him.
[/quote]

So what religion and what God is the correct one? What makes the word of Christian God more credible than that of the Hindus. Hinduism is older than Christianity, does that then make it more credible? How about the fact that the creation story from Genesis is nearly 100% copied from the Mesopotamian creation story with Marduk.[/quote]No offense friend. Sincerely. But you are waaaay late to this game. Follow my very ample posting history back somewhere I addressed this too any times to number. If you’re really interested that is. Giving of the first fruits of one’s godly increase is a holy act of worship. I count it my joy and privilege.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BTW, everything you are and everything you have is God’s too. Your refusal to recognize that is entirely irrelevant to that fact. It is not however irrelevant to your state before Him.
[/quote]

So what religion and what God is the correct one? What makes the word of Christian God more credible than that of the Hindus. Hinduism is older than Christianity, does that then make it more credible? How about the fact that the creation story from Genesis is nearly 100% copied from the Mesopotamian creation story with Marduk.[/quote]No offense friend. Sincerely. But you are waaaay late to this game. Follow my very ample posting history back somewhere I addressed this too any times to number. If you’re really interested that is. Giving of the first fruits of one’s godly increase is a holy act of worship. I count it my joy and privilege.
[/quote]

You’ve never actually answered the question, you fall back on a pile of 12,000 posts and tell people to find the proverbial needle in the… well in your case piece of straw in the needle stack.

You have no answer why most of the Bible is ripped off from surrounding religions that predate Christianity (and Judaism).

[quote]pushharder wrote:
What would you have advised her to do and why?[/quote]

Get back to being financially secure (i.e. paying the damn mortgage) and then go back to paying her salary to appease her overlord.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

What if she doesn’t hold YOUR view that she was paying an overlord’s salary? What should she then do?

Should she change her views so that they align with a 20 something year old atheist from new Zealand? Are you convinced that if she just did that her problems would be solved?[/quote]

If I were a pastor I would have told her to look long and hard at her finances and if she truly believes she has made all the cuts that they can. If they have, I would have then told her that she must pay her mortgage and not the tithe and that God would understand. But of course he can’t do that. Why?

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

What if she doesn’t hold YOUR view that she was paying an overlord’s salary? What should she then do?

Should she change her views so that they align with a 20 something year old atheist from new Zealand? Are you convinced that if she just did that her problems would be solved?[/quote]

If I were a pastor I would have told her to look long and hard at her finances and if she truly believes she has made all the cuts that they can. If they have, I would have then told her that she must pay her mortgage and not the tithe and that God would understand. But of course he can’t do that. Why?[/quote]

Basically this. Then get back to paying her tithe once it becomes financially viable.

I don’t have a problem with her paying a tithe in general.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I don’t have a problem with her paying a tithe in general.[/quote]

Why should this woman be concerned with whether you have a problem or not with her tithe?[/quote]

Huh? Didn’t you just ask me what I would recommend to her and why? I thought we were playing the hypothetical game.

Anyways, I’m pointing out that my problem with the video is not tithing in general, but someone choosing to tithe over paying their mortgage.

Edit: I meant the advice to pay the tithe over her mortgage

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

If I were a pastor I would have told her to look long and hard at her finances and if she truly believes she has made all the cuts that they can. If they have, I would have then told her that she must pay her mortgage and not the tithe and that God would understand. But of course he can’t do that. Why?[/quote]

You show scorn for Christianity and then suggest what you would do as her pastor? That’s rather odd.

I can’t understand how someone who doesn’t understand Christianity nor espouses it can turn around and decide what he’d do or not do if he did understand and espouse it. Doesn’t work that way.[/quote]

You really think someone needs a deep philosophical understanding of Christian scriptures to see the problem with the advice given in the video?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

You show scorn for Christianity and then suggest what you would do as her pastor? That’s rather odd.

I can’t understand how someone who doesn’t understand Christianity nor espouses it can turn around and decide what he’d do or not do if he did understand and espouse it. Doesn’t work that way.[/quote]

You asked what would you tell her if I shared her beliefs. I did just that. Now why doesn’t he give her a responsible answer? Because he has made a fortune from tithes?

I can see this discussion will potentially go quite a few posts. Ill be back after the World Series game 5.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Well, even a rudimentary understanding would be nice. You have neither. Therefore you are navigating your ship in uncharted waters here. Savvy?
[/quote]

Don’t make the mistake of thinking I have not spent any time in church. I have also asked myself the hard question. One was admitting that the Bible was written by people. The same people who stand to gain by telling someone that giving your first is your spiritual duty.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Maybe.

But maybe not seeing how the principle is a “time honored” one that predates Robertson by thousands of years. Remember discussing that?
[/quote]

Time honored is a very loose argument. It was also a time honored tradition that people be persecuted and killed for witchcraft.