Morrowind with Better Graphics

The last I heard the basic message is that they’re going to do another one, but they’re not saying when or much else.

it takes place about 40 years after Oblivion, in a new era with a new emperor. If you follow the literature.

no word on where it takes place. people are saying Summerset Isles, others are saying Black Marsh. I personally don’t care where as long as they bring back Morrowind Era khajiit and argonians.

and it’ll probably be PC and Xbox exclusive.

hopefully they bring back the gravel-throated Dunmer as well, i hate that faggy elvish accent.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
hopefully they bring back the gravel-throated Dunmer as well, i hate that faggy elvish accent. [/quote]

lol I know, I hope they return to the leveling from morrowind, oblivion was retarded, the random thugs outside the cities would be the same level as you. You could be level one, enter a cave, and they’d be level 1 with shit gear. And fast forward a few hours, your level 40, go into the same cave, and now they are your level with the best weapons/armor in the game, shit was stupid, i stopped playing oblivion after that.

[quote]Artemisia wrote:
The last I heard the basic message is that they’re going to do another one, but they’re not saying when or much else.[/quote]

Rumor has it that the next game will be in Skyrim because ZeniMax trademarked the name.

So many fellow Tamriel roamers.
I love me a good stroll through Oblivion, especially given the fabulous - FABULOUS, I SAYZ! - RADIANT AI.

Random conversation among NPCs:

NPC 1: “Good day.”

NPC 2: “I’ve seen a mudcrab the other day.”

NPC 3: “Awful creatures.”

NPC 2: “How about that?”

NPC 1: “Be seeing you.”

Brilliant example of NPC Life:

A NPC is crawling in stealth mode (you know, so as not to be discovered) at the center of a crowded tavern and steals a silver goblet, while another NPC is seemingly commending the wannabe thief with multiple "How about that?"s. Then, all of a sudden, a guard, happening to be there all along, notices the wannabe thief doing his thang.

Guard: “Thief, thief!”

wannabe Thief sits down at table

Guard: “How are you?”

Wannabe thief: “I’ve been better.”

Guard: “Be seeing you.”

Wannabe thief: “Goodbye.”

Damn, I love this game to death.
But give me a Morrowind with updated combat and improved graphics and I’ll let Oblivion be Oblivion. But please, make Cliff Racers less aggressive. LOL. Cliff Racer.

hopefully they bring back the gravel-throated Dunmer as well, i hate that faggy elvish accent. [/quote]

Yeah, I hope so.
I’m still wondering what happened to that Jiub guy. Poor fella.

That faggy elvish accent works well for Altmer and Bosmer, though. Hahahahaha. Poor Fargoth.

Morrowind is just a damn cool and gritty place. I’ve also liked that you could really fuck-up the main quest in vanilla Morrowind by killing off important characters. Heck, you could actually kill anybody, if I’m not mistaken.

Vanilla Oblivion is tailored toward casual gamers. Morrowind transformed casual gamers to gamers. I still remember how my SO started playing Morrowind in 2004. She never had played a video game, before (apart from Tetris, where she owned my sorry meathead ass). I couldn’t get her off the computer for hours while she was experiencing Vvardenfell as a Spellsword. Ah, those were the days…Training, Morrowind, boinking, eating.

By the by, folks: this is a pretty cool story written from the player character’s POV of a guy who played Morrowind: http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/trey_01.html

I’ve read it back in 2006 and really enjoyed it.

Oh that gravel-voiced guard who appeared everywhere. It was satisfying once I was a high enough level to kill the fuckers.

The game was too good.

I didn’t get to play Oblivion (or did for a couple of hours) and it just didn’t have the same atmosphere.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
By the by, folks: this is a pretty cool story written from the player character’s POV of a guy who played Morrowind: http://www.waiting4oblivion.com/trey_01.html

I’ve read it back in 2006 and really enjoyed it.

[/quote]

Shit - I’m at work and I can’t access that link (it is blocked). Is it short enough to be copy-pastable in a PM or one of the posts? I’m bored as shit here and would much appreciate being able to read that.

Dude, where the fuck do you work that so much is blocked? At least you can access TN, eh?

Actually, it’s rather long. Longer than a Bill Roberts post, to be honest. Make it 1000 Bill Roberts posts. And add a little Poliquin’esque preaching.

Be seeing you.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

lol I know, I hope they return to the leveling from morrowind, oblivion was retarded, the random thugs outside the cities would be the same level as you. You could be level one, enter a cave, and they’d be level 1 with shit gear. And fast forward a few hours, your level 40, go into the same cave, and now they are your level with the best weapons/armor in the game, shit was stupid, i stopped playing oblivion after that.[/quote]

Agreed. Once I would pass level 10 in Oblivion my character went from being on par with other creatures to getting my ass handed to me by advanced level creatures. Then once my character passed level 15 I was basically invincible. I like some of the improvements from Oblivion, but Morrowind is what got me hooked and I think had a better overall story arc. The culutre in Morrowind seemed more substantial to me than Oblivon. In the future I would like to see better combat as well. It’s stupid that hitting someone in the arm or in the head delivers equal damage.

[quote]fireflyz wrote:

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

lol I know, I hope they return to the leveling from morrowind, oblivion was retarded, the random thugs outside the cities would be the same level as you. You could be level one, enter a cave, and they’d be level 1 with shit gear. And fast forward a few hours, your level 40, go into the same cave, and now they are your level with the best weapons/armor in the game, shit was stupid, i stopped playing oblivion after that.[/quote]

Agreed. Once I would pass level 10 in Oblivion my character went from being on par with other creatures to getting my ass handed to me by advanced level creatures. Then once my character passed level 15 I was basically invincible. I like some of the improvements from Oblivion, but Morrowind is what got me hooked and I think had a better overall story arc. The culutre in Morrowind seemed more substantial to me than Oblivon. In the future I would like to see better combat as well. It’s stupid that hitting someone in the arm or in the head delivers equal damage. [/quote]

yeah, the lore and story arc were what kept me playing. plus a little imaginative elbow grease.

the history behind the alien landscape and the transformation of the Dunmer always fascinated me. They gave a religious reason and a scientific reason as to why the Dunmer became ash skinned and red eyed:

the first because they betrayed their patron Daedra Prince Azura, and the scientific reaosn being that they adapted to the harsh ashlandic desert conditions with UV resistant dark skin and a red film over their eyes to protect from the ash storms.

plus the dunmer were xenophobic assholes, not happy prancing High Fantasy elves that cobble shoes and bake cookies. they enslaved people and shit.

Haha yeah. I have to say though that the whole “outlander” thing got old after awhile. Then again, once you beat the main quest the whole “nerevar” got old too. Definitely a harsher world than Oblivion.

1 for the retarded leveling. If every creature is the same level as you what’s the point of leveling? I hope they get rid of that

i don’t think the auto-leveling needs to disappear completely. it just needs to be adjusted. You have to remember that everything in Morrowind was placed by hand. BY HAND. level designers were designated cells and they had to populate that cell with trees, rocks, fence posts, and creatures.

anybody who’s spent a few minutes in the editor knows how much that blows.

In Oblivion they found a way to cut down on manual labor, but they went a little overboard. if a creature wasn’t quest related, it was scaled to your level. it was great at first when you’re tired of flogging wolves and the mountain lions show up.

but after a while i found i couldn’t take a shit in the woods without minotaur trying to rip my spine out and rape my ragged neck hole.

I think they need to have a random level generator if they don’t already have one. basically, the AI looks at your characters level, and generates a creature between levels x and y.

so you’re level fifteen and in generates between 1-7, or 5-15 depending on what area of the game you’re in. deep wilderness or a place like Red Mountain would obviously have higher numbers in the generator.

/nerdgasm.

i don’t think the auto-leveling needs to disappear completely. it just needs to be adjusted. You have to remember that everything in Morrowind was placed by hand. BY HAND. level designers were designated cells and they had to populate that cell with trees, rocks, fence posts, and creatures.

anybody who’s spent a few minutes in the editor knows how much that blows.

In Oblivion they found a way to cut down on manual labor, but they went a little overboard. if a creature wasn’t quest related, it was scaled to your level. it was great at first when you’re tired of flogging wolves and the mountain lions show up.

but after a while i found i couldn’t take a shit in the woods without minotaur trying to rip my spine out and rape my ragged neck hole.

I think they need to have a random level generator if they don’t already have one. basically, the AI looks at your characters level, and generates a creature between levels x and y.

so you’re level fifteen and in generates between 1-7, or 5-15 depending on what area of the game you’re in. deep wilderness or a place like Red Mountain would obviously have higher numbers in the generator.

/nerdgasm.[/quote]

I agree with all of that. Extra points for the lucid description of what a minatour might want to do with your ragged neckhole. Never heard it put that way. Bravo.

Noo I wouldnt do that.

Creature level should be capped. At lvl 1 you could beat let’s say a giant rat, lvl 8 a basic skeleton, lvl 25 a imperial guard and lvl 80 you could match uber monsters

This way the game mechanics would change with time, because you could fight armies of 100 skeletons at lvl 80. The spells and the skills should get more and more spectacular when your lvl go up, with the end-game spells a la god of war with the distant molten lava giant that would wreck havoc from a distance, you know what I mean?

this way if you are level 2 you don’t venture into place such as the temple of doom. Every kind of place has its monsters, the more remote in term of how to get there the more challenging. When you are lower level you have to stay on the road or you can try to use different strategies, like making a boulder falls down a cliff on a monster that is too strong. Of course when you are high level you dont spend hours travelling into noob area, you just take your armored pegasius to fly arround.

Oblivion was always the same kinds of battle, the fun part was to explore IMO. With that I think the game would be better.

and of course the game needs everything else, such as unlimited sight, good atmosphere, great physics, hyuuge world, better A.I. and A MULTIPLAYER. not like battle.net, just connect with 2-3 other people via LAN.

and of course the next elder scrolls needs everything else you can think about

lol I cant believe I wrote that

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Noo I wouldnt do that.

Creature level should be capped. At lvl 1 you could beat let’s say a giant rat, lvl 8 a basic skeleton, lvl 25 a imperial guard and lvl 80 you could match uber monsters

This way the game mechanics would change with time, because you could fight armies of 100 skeletons at lvl 80. The spells and the skills should get more and more spectacular when your lvl go up, with the end-game spells a la god of war with the distant molten lava giant that would wreck havoc from a distance, you know what I mean?

this way if you are level 2 you don’t venture into place such as the temple of doom. Every kind of place has its monsters, the more remote in term of how to get there the more challenging. When you are lower level you have to stay on the road or you can try to use different strategies, like making a boulder falls down a cliff on a monster that is too strong. Of course when you are high level you dont spend hours travelling into noob area, you just take your armored pegasius to fly arround.

Oblivion was always the same kinds of battle, the fun part was to explore IMO. With that I think the game would be better.

and of course the game needs everything else, such as unlimited sight, good atmosphere, great physics, hyuuge world, better A.I. and A MULTIPLAYER. not like battle.net, just connect with 2-3 other people via LAN.

and of course the next elder scrolls needs everything else you can think about

lol I cant believe I wrote that[/quote]

okay, they COULD do that, but they’d be paying about 100 new employees to place all these capped creatures. and for replay value’s sake, why wouldn’t you want a little variety?

Leveled monster could a troll. could be and ogre. you don’t know, and won’t know until you face it.

But if its a capped monster, every playthrough will be the same. it’ll always be that same capped monster, a la the static, dead world feeling you got after playing vanilla Morrowind for years on end. Boss and Quest creatures can and should be capped. They’re milestones of achievement. Oh boy, I beat Penificus the Possessed Vibrator, I’ve come a long way!

With the scaled creatures, you can still be overpowered. A certain area has higher caps ranging between 25-30. if you’re a newjack lvl 3 and you wander your sorry ass into the Realm of Fucking Your Shit Up, guess what? you’re going to have lvl 25 creatures fucking your shit up!

Show up at level 40 and you’ll have level 30’s comin atcha, which you should be able to handle. voila, sense of overwhelming defeat for newbs, sense of overwhelming accomplishment for seasoned vets. controlled scaling. Not the radical stuff they have going on in oblivion.

thats guys’ blog about his character Trey has got me playing morrowind again, cool stuff