T Nation

Moroccan Parliament Lost to Islam

Will Lixy be able to go home? Will he wind up in a death camp for living in the ‘West’?

"Moroccans vote for new parliament

Saadeddine Othmani heads the Justice and Development Party
Voters in Morocco are going to the polls to elect a new parliament, with 33 parties competing for seats.
The main opposition, the Islamist Party of Justice and Development (PJD), is expected to do well in the polls.

While many parties have struggled to mobilise support, the PJD seems to have had an impact in local constituencies.

PJD leaders have sought to reassure outsiders that they are not extremists and would not turn Morocco into an Islamic state if they came to power."

Kind of like the Germans voting in 1932 for the Nazis…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6982843.stm

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Kind of like the Germans voting in 1932 for the Nazis…
[/quote]

The ballots close in seven hours, so please keep your speculations off the title.

In any case, Germany in the 1930’s was a democracy, something that isn’t the case in Morocco. The king has absolute power. He personally appoints the ministers, and can dissolve, kick out, or simply make disappear) any party or person at whim.

Nobody I know is voting. Not 'cause they’re happy with the prevailing political statism, but because they know the government has near zero power.

By the way, the PJD is not the most popular Islamist party. The powerful Islamic party in Morocco is Al-Adl wal-Ihsan and has been boycotting the elections for a long time because of government persecution. The day they get into the game, they’ll get a landslide victory.

If I was to adventure a guess, I’ll say that the chances of the PJD are quite good in these elections but fail to see how they could do anything to shake up the status-quo.

P.S: Nice to see HH read the BBC.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Do you remember picking on my typo? [/quote]

No, I don’t. Refresh my memory.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
No thanks. [/quote]

Suit yourself.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Chushin wrote:
Do you remember picking on my typo?

No, I don’t. Refresh my memory.

[/quote]

I remember.

You spoke too fast, HH. The elections ended up with a majority to Hizb al-Istiqlal, a secular nationalist party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6982843.stm

Two scenarios here. Either there was a mobilization of the people who traditionally boycott the elections to counter the PJD, or the elections were rigged as usual. There’s been a great deal of international observers this year, but none of them seem to have posted their findings yet.

Anyway, the turnout was at its lowest level in the history of the country, despite the king’s reducing the voting age from 20 to 18 this year.

It’s also worth noting the presence of Maguy Kakon, a Jewish woman in the electoral list.