T Nation

Morning Workout... Waste of Time?

Hi, I’m currently trying to up my calorie intake, improve my overall clean eating to compliment the hard work I’m putting in in the gym.

The only time I can workout is in a morning. I’m up at 6.15am and under the bar for 7.15am, with a program tuned to increase overall size and lean muscle mass.

I’m worried now after reading a few articles that this scenario of morning weight training is not going to allow me to put on weight and muscle because in lay mans terms, my body hasn’t ‘woke up’ and not conditioned after 8 hours sleep to achieve my goals.

I’m eating oats and a complex carb drink at 6.30am then going to the gym.

Is all my hard work in the gym, then all the eating thru the day a waste of time because I’m not training later in the day???

Less reading, more training.

Seriously, stop worrying so much about everything you read - you think you’re the only person in the world to train in the morning? I highly doubt people that have had trouble getting bigger and stronger because they trained in the morning.

yea its fine, every army in the world wakes up and the first thing they do is pt.

Man i think that is crap. i wake up at 4:40am get dressed eat and at the gym no later than 6am once you do a warm up (i do cardio 15-30 minutes) I think the body is plenty rested and woken up. It really starts my day off great knowing i just squated a fat man 230 for now and i just dead lifted his brother 260 lol

Ok, cheers, I’ll stop worryin’!

…do you think using Surge would help my body more in the morning?

At the mo I’m downing 50g of complex carbs with water 30 mins before I train… then 50g of protein with 50g of CCarbs immediately after training.

[quote]dom74 wrote:
Ok, cheers, I’ll stop worryin’!

…do you think using Surge would help my body more in the morning?

At the mo I’m downing 50g of complex carbs with water 30 mins before I train… then 50g of protein with 50g of CCarbs immediately after training.[/quote]

That is fine, if anything you might want something for energy such as Spike or Power Drive, but if you feel ok then leave it at that.

go one morning without anything and just kinda syke your self up.I would prefer not to rely on something like that…now music or a couple of walks around the gym murmuring to myself does wonders for me

I train at 6am. I do Squats, Deadlifts and Rack Pulls all first thing in the morning. Just do specific warmups, and get a feel for the weight and no huge weight jumps.

According to Nutrient Timing (the book).
You will want a 3:1 ratio of Carbs to Protein ie. for a 230lb person it’s about 30 grams of carbs, 10 grams of protein, ideally a shake, and ideally start drinking it 10 minutes before training.
Use simple carbs. Use isolate proteins (this is my recommendation not the books).

That seems fine…

[quote]rsg wrote:
Less reading, more training.

Seriously, stop worrying so much about everything you read - you think you’re the only person in the world to train in the morning? I highly doubt people that have had trouble getting bigger and stronger because they trained in the morning.[/quote]

I carpool 70 miles with my mom to work
we live way outside of town. on a small farm
I drop her off at 0630 I am at the nearest gym that I am a member of by 7 am no later

I stay there untill after 8 or 830 with light lifting and mainly light cardio like recumbant bike or walking on tread mill and lifts with maybe about half my max or less then shower get dressed out of the locker and out the door to make the money that I need to keep my membership.

I am then back at the gym buy about 1 pm and do all my insane stuff that gets looks and my HIIT I just started and literaly limp or near crawl out the door to pick her up at 3 pm and then she drives home and I sleep all the way back.

Granted I do not have a full time job and I my focus is on my health and my weight exclusivly.
but this goes along with the comment of read less train more.

I train to the point that I get all tingly and I feel like I am high on drugs now and I can hardly move untill hours later and I know that how I do things with the 2 times a day 6 days a week and what I do is really frowned upon here.

I figure that I will respect the advice of others and I will implement there advice however in the end it is you that is putting in the work and if it is right for you to work in the am do it.
as far as psycing yourself up to do it that has got to come from within yourself

I do however have a little help from HOT-ROX and coffee but not often I just go in and do it,hard to explain