I read that the number one thing people that workout in the morning neglect is putting some protein/carbs in their bodies 1 hour to 90 minutes before working out, with your body using up protein at night you could be hurting yourself more.
I don't want to have to get up at 5 to eat, sit around for an hour then workout. Any advice would be appreciated.
your situation sounds like mine. i've been waking up at 6am to be at the gym by 7am for almost a year now, and it's still not entirely easy. but i do have some tips to make part of your normal life.
1. try to get 7 - 8 hrs. of sleep prior to your wake up time. for myself i like to be in bed ideally at 10pm, but by 11pm is the absolute latest. this makes a HUGE difference in answering that alarm clock and having energy for a workout.
2. follow a wourkout you'll enjoy. some of the best workouts i've done i've was looking forward to them the prior night. i believe the gym should be fun, not drugery. there are plenty of great ones on this site. my favorites are the waterbury method and defranco's westside for skinny bastards.
3. if your over 18 (and it sounds like you are) you might want to try Spike. i use to take caffiene pills, but they left me buzzed and still unmotivated. spike gives me the clairity and drive for the am gym.
4. whatever music you like to listen to if your gym doesn't play it blarringly loud i would suggest to get a walkman with a tape player (if the still make them) and use that. for me there's nothing like loud, fast, angry music screaming in my ears at 7 am while i'm having a good workout buzzing on Spike. now that's fun!
5. finally, get your workout stuff ready the before you go to bed. it saves time and need of thought in the am. lay out you clothes, get your gym bag ready, get the coffe machine ready to brew, and if you keep a workout journal (which everyone should) get that ready with your workout already written out in it.
those are my tips for getting yourself moving in the am. for nutrition you definately need to eat something otherwise those am workouts do more harm than good. so even though it sucks you really need to wake up to have that eating time. i try to keep it real simple. the idea is quick digesting stuff. i wake up at 6am and pop 2 Spike pills. then i walk my dog and when i get back @6:30 i drink one serving of straight whey protein in water, and chase that with 2 servings of apple juice and a B-50 complex pill. its nothing fancy, but let me tell you it hits the spot. by 8:30 at the latest i'm done in the gym and the sugar has burned out in me just in time for more protein and sugar. and don't worry the sugar won't make you fat, but it will keep you from burning fat though. to burn fat you could hit the weights every other day, and then on your off days from the weights you can do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
that all works pretty well for me and i hope you can use some of this info. but if not, you'll find plenty of other info by lurking on this site.
oh, and it tkes about 21 days for something new to become a habit, so good luk and stay with it.