T Nation

Morning Protein Shake

I know about the 8hr fast (or whatever time period you sleep) your body goes through when while your sleeping. Would drinking a protein shake after waking up be beneficial for someone trying to gain muscle mass? Thanks for the responses in advance guys!

From this week's reader mail:

"Bodybuilding Breakfast

Hey guys, I?m a novice bodybuilder and am having trouble processing the abundance of info that you guys put out.

I know that I need the proper ratio of carbs, protein and amino acids post-workout, but what about pre-workout? I train in the mornings before work and have been eating a bowl of oatmeal before hitting the gym. This gives me plenty of energy for lifting but should I add protein to this?

Please help!

pkimrey

Most of us around here think you should consume some protein as soon as you wake up. What happens is that about halfway through the night your muscle glycogen and muscle protein stores begin to drop (because you're going a long time without replenishing them with food.)

In other words, your body runs out of muscle-building fuel and leaves you in a catabolic or muscle?wasting state. Therefore when you wake up, you need gobble some protein ASAP. And as you can imagine, training in this protein-starved state just ain't a great idea.

Now, since you're training as soon as you hop out of the sack, you don't want to eat a big meal before the gym, especially if it's squat day. Not a good combo. So we suggest you add some egg whites to that oatmeal. If you prefer something more convenient, drink a small serving of Grow!

For more info on all this, checkout John Berardi's Bedtime Story article."

from this weeks news and reader mail:

Bodybuilding Breakfast

Hey guys, I?m a novice bodybuilder and am having trouble processing the abundance of info that you guys put out.

I know that I need the proper ratio of carbs, protein and amino acids post-workout, but what about pre-workout? I train in the mornings before work and have been eating a bowl of oatmeal before hitting the gym. This gives me plenty of energy for lifting but should I add protein to this?

Please help!

pkimrey

Most of us around here think you should consume some protein as soon as you wake up. What happens is that about halfway through the night your muscle glycogen and muscle protein stores begin to drop (because you're going a long time without replenishing them with food.)

In other words, your body runs out of muscle-building fuel and leaves you in a catabolic or muscle?wasting state. Therefore when you wake up, you need gobble some protein ASAP. And as you can imagine, training in this protein-starved state just ain't a great idea.

Now, since you're training as soon as you hop out of the sack, you don't want to eat a big meal before the gym, especially if it's squat day. Not a good combo. So we suggest you add some egg whites to that oatmeal. If you prefer something more convenient, drink a small serving of Grow!

For more info on all this, checkout John Berardi's Bedtime Story article.

Hope that helps!

With out a doubt!!! I think maost everyone would agree this is the most imposrtant time to have a protein shake.

My morning shake:

• 2 Scoops of GROW Low carb protein (no excuses now that it's $20)
  • 1 tblsp of Udo's Choice of Flax oil
  • 1 tblsp of all natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup of dry quaker oats
  • 2 cups of water

and let it whirl for about a minute. My post sleep shake is the exact same minus the oats.