T Nation

Morning posterior chain/ evening quads/calves question

I made it through my first day of training posterior chain in the am with 5 x 5 Deadlift, Goodmornings, and GHR. This evening I planned on 5 x 5 Front Squat, lunges, and explosive squats and while I did complete my evening session, my squatting weights were not enough to stimulate the quadriceps thoroughly. I was getting stapled at the bottom of my front squats with only 235 lbs; stapled is a slight exageration but you catch the drift. I couldn't move enough weight to thoroughly hit my quads because my hams/glutes were fried. Was thinking about switching out my front squats with quarter squats so I can really emphasize the quads in the evening; what do you guys think? Any other good quadriceps movements? I may implement the violent variations movement that CT introduced in a recent article eventually, but I lack the flexibility to fully utilize it at this point. BTW, I will not be switching my priorities, ie, train quads in the morning and posterior chain in the evening. Have always been quad dominant. Also had a PR of 5 reps at 365 today. Could pull more but my left hand could no longer bare the strain.

My deadlift/squat form is horrendous. I have read the various articles posted thus far; but try as I might, and no matter how I setup the bar doesn't seem to ever touch my shins. Upon thinking about this it is obvious that my form is mechanically inefficient and I should be pulling atleast 405 for 5(or in the ballpark). So not only am I producing a longer lever arm thus less mechanical advantage, but I have a hard time leaning back away from the bar and using my weight to aide in the lift as well. I just feel like I am going topple over; so I am almost certain that my shoulders are forward of the bar. I can envision what should be happening but its not happening. Next tuesday I am going to have somebody let me know the relative distance the bar travels from my shin, and the relative path of the bar on the ascent. If this doesn't help I will probably post a series of stills for some of you gurus to analyze. If anyone has encountered this problem and has some useful info/.advice I would appreciate it.

Man would I enjoy smacking the guy curling 65 pounds for ten sets of ten in the squat rack...there are even preloaded barbells weighing from 25-115 pounds in increments of 5 within five feet of the squat rack. It boggles the mind. T-mag should sell T-shirts that discourage such behavior, but in a humorous fashion...I would buy it.

You shouldn't go heavy in the morning and evening sessions. That is way too much stress on your body in such a short period of time. Your nervous system doesn't know or care what muscles you train, just the method used. If you do a heavy session in the morning, do a light session in the evening. You could do heavy quad morning, light hip evening. A few days later do heavy hip morning, light quad evening. This is a much better balanced program and will spare your nervous system.

Don't do the posterior chain in the morning. Spinal injuries are easier to acheive in the AM due to disc fluid retention.

My am workout technically isn't until 10:30 am, and it is when I am at my best so I will probably stick with am posterior chain sessions. After waking this morning I have come to realize that I may have been asking a bit much of myself as well. I will probably go heavy am and light evening as you suggested; and just alternate which session comes in the am weekly after some time emphasizing on posterior chain. Thanks for the information thus far; if anyone could give any additional advice on my pull I would appreciate it as well. I have been attempting for months to get down the form and after a few sets each session of searching for the groove I become frustrated and then just attempt to move progressively heavier loads.

"Don't do the posterior chain in the morning. Spinal injuries are easier to acheive in the AM due to disc fluid retention."

Every time I read dogmatic all or nothing advice I have to call bullshit on it. Bullshit.

Read the Stuart McGill interview in Issues 270 and 271. He's the world's leading spine expert and explains why injury is more likely to occur to the spine in the early morning.

More likely...fine. I just don't like dogmatic expressions of "don't do something (no matter what)". Be aware of it, warm up properly, etc. But let's not dish out the all or nothing advice.