Morning Lifters

What do you eat for breakfast right before you go to the gym, I have found that if i go with an empty stomach i start to dry heave and all the water i drank comes right back up.

So my question is: do i eat the norm as far as breakfast goes, or do something little on the way there. Then eat big when i get home, I haven’t been lifting the the mornings for long. maybe my body just need to get acclimated to the morning weights.

Thanks guys!

You do need to give yourself some time to adjust. I had trouble with energy in the gym in the morning and solid food didn’t sit well for me.

I started experimenting and found that 12 oz water with 1 scoop of Grow and 1 scoop of Surge works for me. I don’t conk out during my workout and I don’t throw up. Sometimes I take some extra BCAA with it too.

For me, it really took some getting used to. But having said that, I never really got the same level of workouts that I did when doing it in the evening.

On the other hand, the workouts were better than in the evening of a hard days work…

I liked a good solid whey shake before hand, and eat big when done lifting. Although I was always under pretty demanding time constraints to do all that in the morning.

I wake up around 6 or so, workout at 7:30. I eat 1 big bowl raisin bran, 40 g whey shake, 2 cups coffee, an orange and banana beforehand. During, I’ll drink 20 oz gatorade and immediately after the gym I’ll drink a 70 g carb with 30 g protein shake (9:00). About 1 hr after that, I’ll have a shake with 60 g carbs, 40 g protein (10:00).

By 11:45, I’m usually ravenous. On leg days I get a little queasy, but I haven’t lost breakfast yet.

I get up at 5:30, and have a cup of coffee and 1.5 cups of oatmeal made with whole milk, a little honey and lots of cinnamon. At 6:30 I have a combo whey protein/yogurt/fruit shake and hit the gym at 7:30. Peri-workout I mix BCAA powder with Crystal Light. Any fewer calories and I hurl.

Anybody just do Surge periworkout. 1/3 the amount before. 1/3 during. And 1/3 after? Followed by breakfast? This is what I did when I was working last. I feel like I’m going to need to return to this once I go back to work next week. But workouts weren’t as good as midday with a few good meals in me…

Due to my crappy class scheduling, I go to the gym right after my first morning class.

Before going to class I have 3/4-1 cup of oatmeal, 3 eggs, and shake consisting of 1 scoop of Grow!, 1 tablespoon of natural unsweetened cocoa, 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a banana, and as much spinach as I can fit into my blender.

Then I go to class and drink a ton of green tea. It’s about two hours from eating breakfast until I get to the gym, which I find is the perfect amount of time for me. Gives me time to digest and to wake up a little. If I go too soon after eating breakfast, I feel sluggish and tired. If I go too late, I get hungry and feel weak.

i get up at 7:30 to train at 10 right when i wake up i have about 40grams of oatmeal at 8 i have a protein isolate shake about 20 grams in water then a then about 8:30 i take my pre-workout and leave my house.

Sometimes if im in a rush or cutting i just do about 30 grams of protein in water hlf hour before and go but on those heavy days i just need more.

I get up at 6am and train at 7am. Double espresso when I get up, oats at 6.30 (not made with water - that’s just wrong), sometimes have a carby drink whilst training but usually drink cold green tea or plain water. The coffee wakes me up and also stops me wanting to puke.

I guess I’m different than most…I CANNOT eat anything before working out in the morning.

I work a weird schedule…get up at 12:10am…out the door at 12:30am…stop by 7-11 and refill my super big gulp cup with iced coffee…drive an hour to the gym (I work quite a ways from home)…am at the gym by 1:45am…do my workout for the day…get to work by 4am…and have either a protein shake or a tuna sandwich or something similar.

If I even try to eat anything within that time period from waking up to starting my workout I get an upset stomach or I seem to have less energy.

Call me weird, but that works best for me.

At my last job I had to be at work at 6:30 so I would wake up at 4:30 to train.

I consumed one scoop Surge pre-workout, one scoop PWO with 5g of creatine and had a ~45g casein/whey shake with flax meal about 1-2 hours later. Of course, real food would have been better…but a shake is better than nothing.

Give your body time to adjust. The Surge worked well for me because I had something in my stomach before lifting but not something heavy or filling.

It would also depend on how you’re training. If you are doing some kind of metabolic training, some BCAA tabs and a cup of coffee might be the way to go with a serving of Surge afterwards.

I consume a scoop of Surge or another carb/protein drink pre-workout, during workout, and a 2 scoops post workout. I have never been hungry, and its great for recovery. I train at 6:00 AM.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
I get up at 6am and train at 7am. Double espresso when I get up, oats at 6.30 (not made with water - that’s just wrong), sometimes have a carby drink whilst training but usually drink cold green tea or plain water. The coffee wakes me up and also stops me wanting to puke.[/quote]

You feel like the food’s there and doing what it needs to do eating that close to lifting?

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I consume a scoop of Surge or another carb/protein drink pre-workout, during workout, and a 2 scoops post workout. I have never been hungry, and its great for recovery. I train at 6:00 AM.[/quote]

I feel like this what I’ll try when I have to go back to early training. I never felt so hot doing it the summer I was interning, but my lifestyle wasn’t very healthy either. Too much bad food. Much too much drinking. And not enough sleep. Maybe when I’m in my normal healthy lifestyle, morning training and nutrition will be just fine.

I used to drink protein shakes and have a little bit of oatmeal. If I ate a full meal of real food I’d get sick.

I found warm ups and just being awake for an hour or so before training was crucial.

If I went straight to the gym, even after a full 8 and breakfast, my work outs sucked. No energy at all.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:
I consume a scoop of Surge or another carb/protein drink pre-workout, during workout, and a 2 scoops post workout. I have never been hungry, and its great for recovery. I train at 6:00 AM.

I feel like this what I’ll try when I have to go back to early training. I never felt so hot doing it the summer I was interning, but my lifestyle wasn’t very healthy either. Too much bad food. Much too much drinking. And not enough sleep. Maybe when I’m in my normal healthy lifestyle, morning training and nutrition will be just fine.[/quote]

Booze, shitty food and no sleep definately will take it’s toll on energy levels.

I get up at 7:30 hit the gym around 9. I eat 8oz ground turkey with fruit and oatmeal or a cup of peas

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
ninearms wrote:
I get up at 6am and train at 7am. Double espresso when I get up, oats at 6.30 (not made with water - that’s just wrong), sometimes have a carby drink whilst training but usually drink cold green tea or plain water. The coffee wakes me up and also stops me wanting to puke.

You feel like the food’s there and doing what it needs to do eating that close to lifting?[/quote]

Sure - stops me feeling hungry, and I don’t really start lifting properly until 7.30ish as I do a ton of warmups and bar work beforehand. If I ate any earlier I’d be hungry again by 8am.

[quote]FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:

I feel like this what I’ll try when I have to go back to early training. I never felt so hot doing it the summer I was interning, but my lifestyle wasn’t very healthy either. Too much bad food. Much too much drinking. And not enough sleep. Maybe when I’m in my normal healthy lifestyle, morning training and nutrition will be just fine.

Booze, shitty food and no sleep definately will take it’s toll on energy levels. [/quote]

Yeah. For sure.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
ninearms wrote:

You feel like the food’s there and doing what it needs to do eating that close to lifting?

Sure - stops me feeling hungry, and I don’t really start lifting properly until 7.30ish as I do a ton of warmups and bar work beforehand. If I ate any earlier I’d be hungry again by 8am.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess an hour is enough time for digestion to take place.