Morning Heart Rate and Position

Ive been taking my morning heart rate to monitor for overtrating and such. I have noticed that lying down is around 60, seated is closer to 70, and standing is 85-90. Should there be this much of a difference between standing and the others? I know it should be slightly higher but this seemed pretty big.

It depends on your size. If you’re a little guy, it won’t take much heart action to get you moving. If you’re a mack truck, then your heart will need to produce more blood to move you.

I go from sitting with a RHR of as low as 58 (averaging around 62) to standing up at 80 and moving around to 100. And I’m not especially big.

My heart rate varies as well between lying, sitting and standing positions.

You should take your heart rate first thing in the morning, while still lying down.

what’s the whole thing behind this morning heart rate and overtraining? could someone inform me? Is it supposed to be higher or lower than normal?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
what’s the whole thing behind this morning heart rate and overtraining? could someone inform me? Is it supposed to be higher or lower than normal?[/quote]

Some have said that if your morning RHR is 10 beats above normal, you are overtraining.

The best way to measure it is to have a heart rate monitor (or at least a stop watch) by your bed. Once you wake up (do not get up out of bed), measure your RHR. Do this every day for a week to get a feel for your average.

Of course, if you’re already overtraining, the data won’t mean anything since you won’t know you’re 10 beats above normal.

I keep track of RHR (though never in bed, I take my RHR at random times while sitting) in general. Some say it’s not a measure of fitness. I, obviously, disagree.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
what’s the whole thing behind this morning heart rate and overtraining? could someone inform me? Is it supposed to be higher or lower than normal?

Some have said that if your morning RHR is 10 beats above normal, you are overtraining.

The best way to measure it is to have a heart rate monitor (or at least a stop watch) by your bed. Once you wake up (do not get up out of bed), measure your RHR. Do this every day for a week to get a feel for your average.

Of course, if you’re already overtraining, the data won’t mean anything since you won’t know you’re 10 beats above normal.

I keep track of RHR (though never in bed, I take my RHR at random times while sitting) in general. Some say it’s not a measure of fitness. I, obviously, disagree.[/quote]

sounds interesting. but has anyone ever tested this on themselves and proved the overtraining to heartbeat thing?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
sounds interesting. but has anyone ever tested this on themselves and proved the overtraining to heartbeat thing?[/quote]

Yes.