T Nation

Morgellons Disease

http://www.morgellons-disease-research.com/

“Morgellons (also called Morgellons disease or Morgellons syndrome), is a name given in 2002 by Mary Leitao[1] to a proposed condition referred to by the Centers for Disease Control as Unexplained Dermopathy and characterized by a range of cutaneous (skin) symptoms including crawling, biting, and stinging sensations; finding fibers on or under the skin; and persistent skin lesions (e.g., rashes or sores).”

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with it?

I’ve heard of it - it usually features in programmes/'net features about weird, sci-fi diseases. Do you have this?

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I’ve heard of it - it usually features in programmes/'net features about weird, sci-fi diseases. Do you have this?[/quote]

I do not, however a member of my family has been exhibiting all of the symptoms associated with the disease for the past three weeks. Many of these symptoms i believe are considered to be exclusive to the disease.

First off, take down that avi of Guevara. That there’s some baaaaad joojoo mon.

Secondly, this is a good board for you to visit

http://www.morgellons-disease-research.com/Morgellons-Message-Board/morgellons-treatment/

Wow I didn’t know that shit was real, I had only heard about it in a sci-fi horror novel I read.

[quote]JLu wrote:
Wow I didn’t know that shit was real, I had only heard about it in a sci-fi horror novel I read.[/quote]

It still isn’t exactly “accepted truth”. I would look for mental etiology first if someone is claiming they feel things crawling beneath their skin. I read one of those sites posted and the discussion forum had one lady who stated she could feel worms crawling in her skull. First, that’s unlikely. If anything was actually crawling around your brain, you wouldn’t feel it. There are no nerve endings there.

That apparently doesn’t stop her from believing it.

With that mind, no, it is unlikely that even most cases of someone feeling “delusional parasitosis” is actually under attack from parasites.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
“delusional parasitosis” [/quote]

This describes perfectly a guy at my gym. And it sounds scientific too, I may use this.
Sorry, carry on.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
First off, take down that avi of Guevara. That there’s some baaaaad joojoo mon.

Secondly, this is a good board for you to visit

http://www.morgellons-disease-research.com/Morgellons-Message-Board/morgellons-treatment/[/quote]

thank you for the link Td, it looks like there is some useful information there. Ill have to give it a closer look when i get some spare time on my hands.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:
Wow I didn’t know that shit was real, I had only heard about it in a sci-fi horror novel I read.[/quote]

It still isn’t exactly “accepted truth”. I would look for mental etiology first if someone is claiming they feel things crawling beneath their skin. I read one of those sites posted and the discussion forum had one lady who stated she could feel worms crawling in her skull. First, that’s unlikely. If anything was actually crawling around your brain, you wouldn’t feel it. There are no nerve endings there.

That apparently doesn’t stop her from believing it.

With that mind, no, it is unlikely that even most cases of someone feeling “delusional parasitosis” is actually under attack from parasites.[/quote]

that seems to be the clinical diagnosis of the problem. However, i am unsure as to why or how she would be giving herself skin lesions and placing long colored fibers inside of them.

i cant imagine the frustration that people must feel if they actually are experiencing some sort of parasitic manifestation and their doctor dismisses them with “it’s all in your head”. Id be tempted to run their head through a wall.

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
“delusional parasitosis” [/quote]

This describes perfectly a guy at my gym. And it sounds scientific too, I may use this.
Sorry, carry on.[/quote]

im sure that implying that he is outright delusional will be quite helpful. You really think he hasn’t heard it before?

A few websites mentioned colloidal silver as a way to treat it:

http://www.nutrasilver.com/

[quote]Katiekate wrote:
A few websites mentioned colloidal silver as a way to treat it:

http://www.nutrasilver.com/

[/quote]

Interesting, thank your for taking the time to find this.

I do in fact believe that she is using large dosages of colloidal silver to treat this disease.

I however, was more interested in hearing stories of fellow T-members who have encountered this. It is not a very common disease (yet?) so i wouldn’t be surprised if i am the only one who has come in close contact with it.

regardless, thank you all for your comments and informational links

Has she thought to get these fibers tested?

[quote]anonym wrote:
Has she thought to get these fibers tested?[/quote]

No…sadly, despite encouragement from a number of people do to so, she has refused to seek aid from the medical world. In all honesty, i cannot say that i blame her, after having read through a number of testimonials of individuals who had gone to their doctors in order to have the fibers tested.

The doctors call it “matchbox…something something” when are brought the fibers. Because they already believe their suffering patients to be crazy, having the mysterious fibers brought to them somehow proves their suspicions about their patients “mental instability” rather than their infestation.

If im not mistaken, the doctors also write down in the patient’s history that they are mentally unstable etc. which could possibly have negative ramifications in the future.

Does she exhibit any other symptoms?

[quote]anonym wrote:
Does she exhibit any other symptoms?[/quote]

She has thus far exhibited: lesions, fibers protruding forth from the lesions, depression, lack of energy, and “sensations of crawling skin”.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Does she exhibit any other symptoms?[/quote]

She has thus far exhibited: lesions, fibers protruding forth from the lesions, depression, lack of energy, and “sensations of crawling skin”.[/quote]

Has she ever been tested for Lyme disease, or the bacteria that causes it (Borellia burgdorferi)?

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Has she thought to get these fibers tested?[/quote]

No…sadly, despite encouragement from a number of people do to so, she has refused to seek aid from the medical world. In all honesty, i cannot say that i blame her, after having read through a number of testimonials of individuals who had gone to their doctors in order to have the fibers tested.

The doctors call it “matchbox…something something” when are brought the fibers. Because they already believe their suffering patients to be crazy, having the mysterious fibers brought to them somehow proves their suspicions about their patients “mental instability” rather than their infestation.

If im not mistaken, the doctors also write down in the patient’s history that they are mentally unstable etc. which could possibly have negative ramifications in the future.[/quote]

Look, I understand this may be difficult to deal with, but they wouldn’t be “mysterious fibers” if they were actually tested as something biological. It is NOT uncommon for someone to do this to themselves. The entire myth of ectoplasmic discharge from being possessed by a spirit of someone dead is a hoax and involved people swallowing cheese cloth (or other substances) in order to pull it out later yet seemingly really believing it was real in spite of having done this.

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Does she exhibit any other symptoms?[/quote]

She has thus far exhibited: lesions, fibers protruding forth from the lesions, depression, lack of energy, and “sensations of crawling skin”.[/quote]

Has she ever been tested for Lyme disease, or the bacteria that causes it (Borellia burgdorferi)?[/quote]

No, however she is going to schedule an appointment to be tested.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Has she thought to get these fibers tested?[/quote]

No…sadly, despite encouragement from a number of people do to so, she has refused to seek aid from the medical world. In all honesty, i cannot say that i blame her, after having read through a number of testimonials of individuals who had gone to their doctors in order to have the fibers tested.

The doctors call it “matchbox…something something” when are brought the fibers. Because they already believe their suffering patients to be crazy, having the mysterious fibers brought to them somehow proves their suspicions about their patients “mental instability” rather than their infestation.

If im not mistaken, the doctors also write down in the patient’s history that they are mentally unstable etc. which could possibly have negative ramifications in the future.[/quote]

Look, I understand this may be difficult to deal with, but they wouldn’t be “mysterious fibers” if they were actually tested as something biological. It is NOT uncommon for someone to do this to themselves. The entire myth of ectoplasmic discharge from being possessed by a spirit of someone dead is a hoax and involved people swallowing cheese cloth (or other substances) in order to pull it out later yet seemingly really believing it was real in spite of having done this.

[/quote]

Why would someone do this to themselves? (I am not questioning your stating that people do this to themselves, rather, i am inquiring as to why you believe they do this).

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Does she exhibit any other symptoms?[/quote]

She has thus far exhibited: lesions, fibers protruding forth from the lesions, depression, lack of energy, and “sensations of crawling skin”.[/quote]

Has she ever been tested for Lyme disease, or the bacteria that causes it (Borellia burgdorferi)?[/quote]

No, however she is going to schedule an appointment to be tested.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Has she thought to get these fibers tested?[/quote]

No…sadly, despite encouragement from a number of people do to so, she has refused to seek aid from the medical world. In all honesty, i cannot say that i blame her, after having read through a number of testimonials of individuals who had gone to their doctors in order to have the fibers tested.

The doctors call it “matchbox…something something” when are brought the fibers. Because they already believe their suffering patients to be crazy, having the mysterious fibers brought to them somehow proves their suspicions about their patients “mental instability” rather than their infestation.

If im not mistaken, the doctors also write down in the patient’s history that they are mentally unstable etc. which could possibly have negative ramifications in the future.[/quote]

Look, I understand this may be difficult to deal with, but they wouldn’t be “mysterious fibers” if they were actually tested as something biological. It is NOT uncommon for someone to do this to themselves. The entire myth of ectoplasmic discharge from being possessed by a spirit of someone dead is a hoax and involved people swallowing cheese cloth (or other substances) in order to pull it out later yet seemingly really believing it was real in spite of having done this.

[/quote]

Why would someone do this to themselves? (I am not questioning your stating that people do this to themselves, rather, i am inquiring as to why you believe they do this).[/quote]

This would be part of a diagnosis for some sort of psychosis so looking for a logical reason may be a mistake. As far as children, it could be as simple as them itching in an area and using a cloth to rub it. Bottom line, unless these “mysterious fibers” are too small to show up on an x-ray, I have yet to see any sort of synthetic fiber suddenly come out of someone’s skin without having been put into the skin in the first place.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

This would be part of a diagnosis for some sort of psychosis so looking for a logical reason may be a mistake. As far as children, it could be as simple as them itching in an area and using a cloth to rub it. Bottom line, unless these “mysterious fibers” are too small to show up on an x-ray, I have yet to see any sort of synthetic fiber suddenly come out of someone’s skin without having been put into the skin in the first place.
[/quote]

a reasonable assessment indeed, however, she is not a child, and i can attest to her mental stability.

And i am not confident regarding the size of the fibers (as i have not seen them myself) but i do believe they were very very difficult to see with the un-aided eye.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Does she exhibit any other symptoms?[/quote]

She has thus far exhibited: lesions, fibers protruding forth from the lesions, depression, lack of energy, and “sensations of crawling skin”.[/quote]

Has she ever been tested for Lyme disease, or the bacteria that causes it (Borellia burgdorferi)?[/quote]

No, however she is going to schedule an appointment to be tested.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
Has she thought to get these fibers tested?[/quote]

No…sadly, despite encouragement from a number of people do to so, she has refused to seek aid from the medical world. In all honesty, i cannot say that i blame her, after having read through a number of testimonials of individuals who had gone to their doctors in order to have the fibers tested.

The doctors call it “matchbox…something something” when are brought the fibers. Because they already believe their suffering patients to be crazy, having the mysterious fibers brought to them somehow proves their suspicions about their patients “mental instability” rather than their infestation.

If im not mistaken, the doctors also write down in the patient’s history that they are mentally unstable etc. which could possibly have negative ramifications in the future.[/quote]

Look, I understand this may be difficult to deal with, but they wouldn’t be “mysterious fibers” if they were actually tested as something biological. It is NOT uncommon for someone to do this to themselves. The entire myth of ectoplasmic discharge from being possessed by a spirit of someone dead is a hoax and involved people swallowing cheese cloth (or other substances) in order to pull it out later yet seemingly really believing it was real in spite of having done this.

[/quote]

Why would someone do this to themselves? (I am not questioning your stating that people do this to themselves, rather, i am inquiring as to why you believe they do this).[/quote]

This would be part of a diagnosis for some sort of psychosis so looking for a logical reason may be a mistake. As far as children, it could be as simple as them itching in an area and using a cloth to rub it. Bottom line, unless these “mysterious fibers” are too small to show up on an x-ray, I have yet to see any sort of synthetic fiber suddenly come out of someone’s skin without having been put into the skin in the first place.
[/quote]

I have had patients with this and come to find out they were Meth addicts. Methamphetamines even prescribed (Adderrall, Ritalin etc) at higher doses cause the user to pick at there skin and have hallucinations. I have also had patients with recurrent skin infections from taking there own feces and putting it in their wounds. The human mind is a very powerful thing. Look at Tiger Woods the man had everything, Model wife, kid, a billion dollars and throws it all away for strange pussy. Prof X is correct, family practice doctors are not built to handle this situation, the mental health professional is the only person to handle this.