Morgan Freeman and Racism

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Professor X wrote:
What I do find funny, however, is how the “political” opinions of actors are regarded as useless idiotic banter…until they say something you agree with. Then their words get plastered for all to see.

I think folks like Bill Cosby and Morgan Freeman have earned a level of respect. They are black, and have gone through a lot of stuff that most folks born after 1970 only talk about.

I think their views on being black carry a whole lot more weight than Janine Garafalo yammering her pseudo-intellectual trap about the evils of the Bush Administration. [/quote]

That still makes the act of shooting down one opinion because it came from a “stupid actor” while repeatedly shouting the opinion of another as “brilliant” completely hypocritical.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That doesn’t make the act of shooting down one opinion because it came from a “stupid actor” while repeatedly shouting the opinion of another as “brilliant” completely hypocritical.[/quote]

I would disagree with what the whacked out left-wing nut jobs say regardless of their occupation.

I don’t see the hypocrisy. You agre with those that share your views, and you disagree with those that don’t. What makes that hypocritical? The presence of a microphone and a shiny little award of some sort?

Glorification of urban culture? What’s your point? I love Hip-Hop urban culture. I love that it is being “glorified”. I doubt you even truly understand much about that culture seeing as you degrade it so readily. I particularly love New Soul with its retro-70’s return to the way music used to be. But you know about all of this already, huh? Alexander Hamilton? John Legend? Hell, even 50 Cent openly states that he doesn’t smoke weed.[/quote]

You are confusing pop-culture with what I was trying to say. I can’t say it any clearer than I did, so you will have to re-read what I said. But FYI - it has nothing to do with the music.

[quote]Agreed. But - the prevailing wisdom in the black community seems to be that if you break out to become more than a rapper or an athlete, and become a friend of the white culture - you are a sell out. Why? Power, and greed. Jesse Jackson cares only about his power, and maintaining it.

Actually, I would say that if any attitude has greatly changed over the last 15-20 years, it is the generalization you just made. Do you honestly think the Paris Hilton mentality has no black counterpart? What do you think the over-reference to “bling”, Benzo’s, or ice is referring to. With black entreprenuers who maintain an urban lifestyle coming to the forefront more and more (especially in the music/producing industry) well into their 40’s and 50’s, it is now seen that you don’t have to “act white” to be successful…which used to be considered the only way to make it in America.[/quote]

Once again you are confusing pop culture with reality. I could give a shit what Paris Hilton does or doesn’t do. That is not reality. That is not where 98% of real America lives.

The problem is the power structure. You are the one that is using the term culture. I am talking about the power structure that is designed by blacks at the expense of blacks.

It goes right to the heart of what Freeman, Cosby, and Williams are saying which has been totally villified by black leaders.

rainjack wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
They are finally figuring out that naming your child ‘O-ran-jello’, letting him dress ‘gangsta’ and speak like a half-wit, was a guarantee of poverty and misery.

O-ran-jello? That’s stupid, and you are an idiot. Let’s make sweeping racist statements that only marginally deal with the topic! Good job! Idiot.

It is stupid. But it happens. Look around you. To gloss over detrimental societal activity by thinking it only marginally deals with the topic is sad.

If you act like a dumbass idiot - you will be treated as such without regard to skin color.

More money is made, and more power is maintained by keeping black youth angry, dis-illusioned, and uneducated.

I think people like Mr. Freeman, and Walter Williams understand this. If more black youth would understand this and quit listening to idiots like Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan - you’d see an explosion of black wealth. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Maybe you missed this, but making grand generalizations about an entire race equals what? My sister is named after a woman in the Bible. Is this ignorant? The majority of the black women I know don’t have “ghetto-centric” names and I grew up in Southeast Houston. If you didn’t know, that’s in the opposite direction of the Galleria.

While I have agreements with some of what he said, the institution of a period of time that focused on the accomplishments of blacks in this country was very much needed once. I remember growing up and not seeing many blacks at all on tv in commercials. If they were seen in tv shows, it was generally in poor situations or some black kid was being “rescued” by a white family which was the only way they could be rich. While many could argue whether BET, Black History month, or Black Music awards are needed TODAY, let’s not be ignorant of the past.

Will Smith was the FIRST black rap artist to receive a grammy award…and they didn’t even air the scene of him receiving it on national tv because they thought the rap category would bring down the image of the award show. Did you know this? This was in the 90’s, not 500 years ago. In a world like that, black entertainment television was the only place I could even see many of the artists I looked up to. There was a time before MTV finally let there be a music show focusing on rap or even R&B. Before then, as I stated before, the very first artist of color to ever be played on that network was Micheal Jackson and he had to FIGHT to get his shit played…from an album that is still selling records today.

Let’s not get stupid. Blacks fought to be seen as equals and while you can argue whether we still need categories that focus on our abilities today, let’s not forget what got us here.[/quote]

Michael Jackson used to be black? And MTV played videos?

Sorry, Prof…I gotta call bullshit.

[quote]Christomopher wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
They are finally figuring out that naming your child ‘O-ran-jello’, letting him dress ‘gangsta’ and speak like a half-wit, was a guarantee of poverty and misery.

O-ran-jello? That’s stupid, and you are an idiot. Let’s make sweeping racist statements that only marginally deal with the topic! Good job! Idiot.[/quote]

A friend of mine works in a hospital. When a woman had her baby, he went to her and said, “Ma’am, you put down Orange Jello for your baby’s name.” She said, “It’s not Orange Jello, it’s O-ran-jello!”

So, before you start name-calling, how about asking a question about where my response came from – bugwit!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
You are confusing pop-culture with what I was trying to say. I can’t say it any clearer than I did, so you will have to re-read what I said. But FYI - it has nothing to do with the music. [/quote]

The culture is very often directly related to the music. It has been since the 80’s. You didn’t know?

[quote]
Once again you are confusing pop culture with reality. I could give a shit what Paris Hilton does or doesn’t do. That is not reality. That is not where 98% of real America lives. [/quote]

But their influence has been ridiculous with regards to youth. Have you seen how much some kids are spending on prom lately? There are couples who got married for less. You seem to truly underestimate the power “pop culture” has. How small was that town you live in again?

What power structure is being designed by blacks? You are truly going to have to explain that because there is no “power structure” involved. If anything, it would be a structureless lack of power.

[quote]CaptainLogic wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

O-ran-jello? That’s stupid, and you are an idiot. Let’s make sweeping racist statements that only marginally deal with the topic! Good job! Idiot.

He does this every thread, makes ridiculous borderline offensive statements to draw attention to himself. Seriously, just ignore him.[/quote]

This from a guy with some kind of fucking monkey for his avatar! And he had to change his user name because his first was ‘bone’ headed.

Priceless!

Christomopher wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

You all are just now figuring this out about this guy? It was evident from his first posts on this site.[/quote]

Careful, Homeschooler! You might get stepped on (or is it ‘in’?) again.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Michael Jackson used to be black? And MTV played videos?

Sorry, Prof…I gotta call bullshit.

[/quote]

Yes, believe it or not…way back in the day, like in the golden 80’s…MTV played almost nothing but videos. It was amazing. You turn on the tv and you see…get this…MUSIC VIDEOS on Music Television. You would just sit there saying, “I wish this station had nothing but retarded reality shows instead of these lame ass music vides”.

And MJ…he had an afro and nose just like other black people!!! I know, I know, it’s crazy. You could actually watch him and not feel creepy! It was unbelievable.

As Freeman and Cosby point out: if you want your children to have a good life, if you want them to have a middle-class existence, don’t let them imitate the antics of 50 cent, P-Diddy, and so forth.

What did I say that was so controversial? Isn’t this true?

Imagine if your surgeon walked in, had a nose ring and said “'Sup?”. Most people would f’in run from the room – and don’t bs me that none of you wouldn’t do the same.

“Yeah doc, you be a true player! Be pimpin’ it right out bro!!” Sure you would – not!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Christomopher wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

A friend of mine works in a hospital. When a woman had her baby, he went to her and said, “Ma’am, you put down Orange Jello for your baby’s name.” She said, “It’s not Orange Jello, it’s O-ran-jello!”

So, before you start name-calling, how about asking a question about where my response came from – bugwit!
[/quote]

wow my brothers fianc? used to teach in Dallas and she had a student with the name “Orangejello”. I always thought it was the cruelest joke the mother could pull on her child.

pox wrote:

"While I have agreements with some of what he said, the institution of a period of time that focused on the accomplishments of blacks in this country was very much needed once. I remember growing up and not seeing many blacks at all on tv in commercials. If they were seen in tv shows, it was generally in poor situations or some black kid was being “rescued” by a white family which was the only way they could be rich. While many could argue whether BET, Black History month, or Black Music awards are needed TODAY, let’s not be ignorant of the past.

Will Smith was the FIRST black rap artist to receive a grammy award…and they didn’t even air the scene of him receiving it on national tv because they thought the rap category would bring down the image of the award show. Did you know this? This was in the 90’s, not 500 years ago. In a world like that, black entertainment television was the only place I could even see many of the artists I looked up to. There was a time before MTV finally let there be a music show focusing on rap or even R&B. Before then, as I stated before, the very first artist of color to ever be played on that network was Micheal Jackson and he had to FIGHT to get his shit played…from an album that is still selling records today.

Let’s not get stupid. Blacks fought to be seen as equals and while you can argue whether we still need categories that focus on our abilities today, let’s not forget what got us here."

pox, you know I think you are a hypocrite of the first order and are frequently too quick to pull the race card, but this was one of your better posts.

JeffR

What I do find funny, however, is how the “political” opinions of actors are regarded as useless idiotic banter…until they say something you agree with. Then their words get plastered for all to see. [/quote]

Damn straight. The true mark of a mans intelligence is how closely his opinions mirror mine!

I understand the need for reparations, affirmative action etc but I think there needs to be a date set or measurable realistic goals set to be met for a point where we abolish any institution or policies based on race. Reparations cannot continue indefinitly. We should be working to lessening the need for it over time not encouraging it further.

Its time to really attempt to move past racism instead of just talking about it or using it for personal or political gain.

Just for the record…the “Oranjello” thingis an urban legend. That’s why no one has ever met this person directly, just heard of him/his mother through “friends of friends”.

As to the original topic I think black history month is stupid too.

Where is the Spanish history month?

Asian history month?

How about Italian or Irish history month?

We are all americans and the idiots who try to separate us are the real racists.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Just for the record…the “Oranjello” thingis an urban legend. That’s why no one has ever met this person directly, just heard of him/his mother through “friends of friends”.[/quote]

I did know a kid named Cosmic X. Ray -

I like what Morgan Freeman had to say. It is difficult to get over differences when we keep emphasizing the differences.

Secondly, and this is just food for thought - I am not interested in generalizations based on names - a friend of mine was a public school teacher in California and taught a child named Gonorrhea.

Pronounced guh-NOR-ee-uh.

Seriously.

[quote]hspder wrote:

First, why do you seem to be associating culture and race? Do you realize those are, in fact, completely independent things, and one’s race truly doesn’t tell you anything about one’s culture? [/quote]

And here we go. I knew there would be a misunderstanding of what I was saying as long as I don’t follow the politically correct line of thought.

First just because I mention these two items together does not mean I am associating them. But both race and culture are a big source of bigotry, whether it is because somebody is not the “correct” race, or the “correct” religion.

[quote]But maybe I misunderstood you there, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Second, “There is no Culture”?!?!?!?!

That I can’t give you the benefit of the doubt on. That is clearly one of the most insane things I ever read. [/quote]

And here is where everyone seems to react instead of thinking about what I said. I was expecting this. People always try to twist my meaning into something I never really meant.

But really if it is real, I’ll take a pound of culture.

My meaning that it is not real means it is a concept that exists in our minds, not in reality. That means regardless of where a person is born or from, they will not suddenly grow up with the culture of their birth if they are raised by people of a different culture.

By saying it is not based in reality does not mean it does not exist.

[quote]Culture is an integral part of one’s identity. Like it or not, most people, especially kids, are EXTREMELY prone to influence and mob mentality. Kids will look up to their parents, and/or to external role models, and try to be like them. That is part of the process of growing up. Even “worse”, kids who will go against that, and try to swim against the current, will be quickly attacked and, in many cases, shot down and humiliated.

Things don’t change that much when you’re an adult – it’s just that you can completely isolate yourself if you’re different – but is that much of a life?

That is the core of the development of a culture, that evolves over time inside communities – and yes, this is true especially in communities that are purposively isolated or segregated, either by themselves (self-segregation) or by others.

But even if we completely stopped segregation (both types), including racism and class-based segregation, different cultures would still emerge, from all kinds of influences. People would look for cultural guidance anywhere and eventually local cultures would again develop, across racial lines, but they still would. It is just so much a part of humanity that you simply cannot get away from.

It is basically collective thinking, fueled by role models and mob mentality, some of the most fundamental things in humans.

Some excepcional people will break away from it, but very few have the intelligence, the guts and the energy to be “different”. And, even the ones that do, in a sense, they will adopt a culture too, albeit a different one from their surrounding community.

Culture is not one of those things that “if you ignore it, it will go away”. It is something that was, is and will always be there, and we need to understand and deal with… not to hope it goes away, because it never will – even if racism does, eventually.
[/quote]

And you made my point for me. It is something that is completely mental. Most political discussion is really about culture and the direction that culture is to evolve in. We must strive to be “exceptional” and break away from our culture if it does not serve us.

An example is how many cultures see gay marriage. Is it viewed through logic or culture? Many cultures see gay marriage as an abomination. To say culture is real is to say it must be an abomination.

I do not accept this personally, and could care less if gay people married, regardless of my culture. (Though I disagree with forcing others to accept the same.)

Try to understand what I am saying, and you will get a deeper understanding.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Just for the record…the “Oranjello” thingis an urban legend. That’s why no one has ever met this person directly, just heard of him/his mother through “friends of friends”.[/quote]

It’s in the book Freakonomics.