More Trouble Than I Am Worth: Chaos Is The Plan (T3hPwnisher Log)

@atlas13 I got through a good portion of the podcast: thanks for the heads up! All stuff I’ve heard from Dan before, and still amazing. Just “gets it”.

PM WORKOUT (1330)

2 mile 80lb weighted vest walk with dog

Notes: Great to get another one of these in. It’s been a while. We’re getting a winter storm tomorrow, so had to get this in before that happened. Shoveling in my future.

Few things I’ve been meaning to log but keep forgetting to.

• Mrs and I got a stripe on our belts in Tang Soo Do last night. We’ve gone from the most junior students in the adult class to 2 of the most senior. I’m really proud of my wife. She didn’t have the background I did, and has been just crushing this. It also just goes to show the value of AN athletic background when it comes to picking up something.

• My most recent Zeno Squat workout marks a milestone for me. Anytime I can hit 4 plates for a set of 8, it means I’m good for a 500lb squat. My legs are back to the strength they were before I undertook my rapid bodyweight drop.

• In that regard, I’m feeling a lot more like my old self as far as performance and mentality goes, while physically improved. I’m still lean and eating better/making better choices. My sleep QUANTITY hasn’t improved much, but sleep QUALITY is much better. Used to wake up about every hour or so. Now it’s only a few times a night, and my sleep is DEEP.

• Diet break is going well. Still have to watch myself for undereating. I like the training I’ve come up with during this time. If I were to ever “sell” this approach, to make it simple, I’d make this a 7 week block of conjugate work.

8 Likes

The rare 7 week block.

1 Like

Blatantly stolen from Jim Wendler with his 2 three week cycles followed by the 7th week protocol, haha. My deadlift ROM progression was always 7 weeks too purely because I had 14 mats.

3 Likes

Downloading as we speak.

1 Like

Time tested and proven, I like it.

7 is also a pretty cool name.

1 Like

I always see this instagram account/website that sells these cool shirts. I genuinely wonder if you have this shirt.

I don’t. Nice design though.

The roots run deep.

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT (0415 natural wake up)

(4) Texas Deadlift Bar touch and go mat pulls
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
1x315+chains
1x385+chains
11+5+5x455+chains (rest pause)

12 rounds EMOM

Odd minutes: (3) Deficit deadlifts 315lbs
Even minutes: SSB squats 205lbs

8-7-6-5-4-3

Axle shrugs against short strong bands
1x32

Transition immediately to 50 band pull aparts, then to neck harness, then neck curls, then 40 reverse hypers, then 20 standing ab wheels

CONDITIONING

40kg KB swings-burpee chins

21-15-9-5

Time: 8:22

Notes: Kid’s school was canceled and I took the day off work, so I could sleep in. Wanted to get this in before the snow started to hit, as I knew I’d be shoveling later. I had that 12th rep for the topset, but at the top of the 11th I felt a little electric surge go through my upper body musculature and knew discretion was the better part of valor today. Got the total reps, which was awesome. Honestly didn’t think I had anything in me for the EMOMs, so I’m really pleased with how that went. Might Hepburn it and add some reps to the end.

Not sure what the exact resistance rating is on the bands, but they’re the next step up. Solid challenge.

That conditioning workout is solid. Great for low equipment/time.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I checked out that Mountain Dog article, very interesting. I’m starting to care more about health, whereas in the past it might’ve just been “looking good.” I’ve known some people lately who have begun having health issues that were probably preventable, and I think I’d like to prolong that suckiness as long as I can, haha.

Something that came to mind, and I’m just asking you since I knew you’d been spending time reading about nutrition recently, is how different…I’ll just say ethnicities handle different diets. You ever come across any literature on that? I don’t know much about it, I just remember being in a GNC once and looking at a container of beef protein. The woman there asked “what I was” since she had a Pacific Islander friend who could not handle that stuff, because apparently, her ancestors did not eat much/any beef. I feel like I’ve seen you mention being able to handle meat while your wife (Korean descent?) can handle carbs like rice better. Maybe in an old blog post. I know on the Native side of my heritage, things like heart disease and diabetes picked up (and have stayed up) since flour and other starchy foods were introduced to them. Anyway, that’s of interest to me so just checking to see if you’ve ever come across anything like that. Thanks!

1 Like

Totally dig the pivot there. Kids are especially good at making us re-evaluate stuff.

I’ve seen/heard people discuss what you are talking about, but never looked into any research (shock) to confirm. It’s certainly something I believe. As you noted: I have an insatiable appetite for meat, and fill up easy on carbs. My wife can eat rice until she dies and fills up on 6oz of steak. Along with that, as I get older, I find my guts tolerate less and less food, and even things that are benign are too much for me. I LOVE blueberries, but anytime I eat them, my guts explode. I used to eat a lot of raw veggies, but now I need to cook them. So much of this is individual and finding out what works for you BASED on your background and other factors.

2 Likes

Interesting convo, reminded me of this book:

It’s about diet and blood type - O being the oldest best tolerates high protein diet, AB being the newest does best on other than meat, or something like that. I never read it so my summary might not be the best.

1 Like

Appreciate the recommendation there! I might actually pick it up just as a curiosity.

@jshaving One other interesting aside: now that you have a kid, you can reverse engineer some of this stuff. When my kid was eating babyfood, we gave it some mashed peas one time and it made a sound like an air raid siren going off. Screamed in a way I’d never heard before. Caused my kid HORRIBLE gas pain. Looked it up online and learned that peas can do that to some kids: good to know, no more peas for that one.

Well, during one gaining phase of mine, I started including oatmeal into my diet to get in some more carbs. And being a meathead, I of course got the “Kodiak POWER protein oatmeal”, because I can’t just eat real oatmeal. Later on, I started experiencing blood in the stool, which is always totally fine and not at all alarming. Started wondering if I had parasites or cancer or all sorts of stuff, then I did the whole “what’s new in my diet” thing, looked at the package: the protein in the oatmeal was pea protein. I remembered my kid, switched to regular oatmeal and had no issues.

Through my kid, I discovered an intolerance I didn’t know I had. Damndest thing, haha.

3 Likes

I just love the fact that your child was referred to as “it” for the entirety of this story lol

1 Like

Because the internet is an awful place, I use gender neutral pronouns when discussing my kid. But you are preceptive to have noticed, haha.

2 Likes

Well that’s more sad than funny, but also definitely a smart move. Just made me think of a pretty funny interaction with I had after referring to my nephew as “it” in front of momma lol.

I’d recommend “them” for pronouns, but honestly “it” is still just funny enough to keep as the go to lol

1 Like

“Them” is definitely another go to of mine. I also will just forego pronouns and shoot straight to the verb.

2 Likes

A word of caution. That book is considered pseudoscience. None of the articles referred to in it has ever been published. As always, blending scientific keywords with made up facts makes a bestseller. I could go for a detailed critique here, but I just leave it there - to not spread any further negativism in an otherwise great log.

1 Like

Same here. That’s about like referring to him as a “science experiment”.

PM WORKOUT (1645)

Tabata KB front squats w/45lb bells

Notes: Literally got this done while my Ninja grill was making curly fries. Threw them in, ran to the garage, set the timer and went do it. Stuck with the Dan John rule of “minimum of 8 reps per round” and held the bells at my side during the 10 second rests. This is so fantastically brutal.

Had to skip Tang Soo Do tonight due to a winter storm. Glad we got our stripes last class.

5 Likes

Appreciate the feedback. I never read it, seems like you have more credible information than I.

2 Likes