More Than One Main Exercise on 5-3-1

Hi guys!

I’ve just started doing Jim Wendler’s strength program with the BBB template. Loved the first cycle and right now I’m on my first deload week.

This is just out of curiosity since I don’t plan on messing with the BBB template until at least a couple of cycles (I’m a big believer of not reinventing the wheel) and it’s given results as it is.

However, I started thinking: would doing more than one exercise with the 531 programming be productive? For example, let’s say I want to do Barbel Rows with 531, but don’t want to sacrifice the four main lifts. Would it be wise to squeeze it in Bench Day like this:?

Bench 5-3-1
BB Row 5-3-1
Accessory work

And how about other lifts? Thoughts?

Do what you like.

Just remember the philosophy behind the program and that it was written by someone way smarter then you.

I’m cooked after my session. Why is it that everybody else has to “add more”…

oh, and “Think long term”.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Do what you like.

Just remember the philosophy behind the program and that it was written by someone way smarter then you.

oh, and “Think long term”.[/quote]

Hi JFG, thanks for your thoughts. I know you’re a serious guy and knows his shit. I wouldn’t say JW is smarter than me, just a fuck of a lot more experienced than me, thus my choice of 531.

I am thinking long term, and IF I do try adding another exercise I’ll probably do it after six or twelve months after I’m on the program AND not fully satisfied with the results (Which I don’t think it’ll happen since I loved this first cycle and am anxious to begin the second next week).

I just want some opinions on the matter from people who are more experienced with 531 than me, since I don’t think Wendler covers this questions in his ebook (At least I think he doesn’t in the 2009 edition, IDK about the new one he released), and if someone else has tried it.

Is there a need to do the barbell row with the same scheme? If you think so then you’re basically saying there’s absolutely no way to get strong unless you do a lift with a 5/3/1 scheme. And I think you know that that’s not true at all.

It’s assistance in the program for higher reps. Keep it that way. Train it consistently over time and it will improve, even if not under the 5/3/1 umbrella.

[quote]Anthony Mychal wrote:
Is there a need to do the barbell row with the same scheme? If you think so then you’re basically saying there’s absolutely no way to get strong unless you do a lift with a 5/3/1 scheme. And I think you know that that’s not true at all.

It’s assistance in the program for higher reps. Keep it that way. Train it consistently over time and it will improve, even if not under the 5/3/1 umbrella.[/quote]

Howdy,

I put the barbell row as an example. You are correct, I know that it’s not true. As long as I keep adding weight to the bar or increase the reps I make or both, I know I’ll get stronger. I just find the 5/3/1 scheme quite practical and was asking on other user’s experience applying it to other exercises along with the 4 that Wendler uses on his program.

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
Do what you like.

Hi JFG, thanks for your thoughts. I know you’re a serious guy and knows his shit. I wouldn’t say JW is smarter than me, just a fuck of a lot more experienced than me, thus my choice of 531.

I am thinking long term, and IF I do try adding another exercise I’ll probably do it after six or twelve months after I’m on the program AND not fully satisfied with the results (Which I don’t think it’ll happen since I loved this first cycle and am anxious to begin the second next week).

I just want some opinions on the matter from people who are more experienced with 531 than me, since I don’t think Wendler covers this questions in his ebook (At least I think he doesn’t in the 2009 edition, IDK about the new one he released), and if someone else has tried it. [/quote]

he covered it so many times, it’s not even funny.

“The 5/3/1 philosophy is more important than the sets and reps. Whenever I feel like Iâ??m getting sidetracked or want to try something different, I revisit these rules to make sure Iâ??m doing things the right way. Even if you decide this program isnâ??t for you, these basic tenets have stood the test of time. Take these things to heart, and youâ??ll be greatly rewarded.”

also

“One day will be devoted to the standing military press, one day to the parallel squat, one day to the deadlift and one day to the bench press.”

If you want to change it, go nuts. But it is not 5/3/1 anymore and you are on your own.

Most questions are about 10% of the program. Just follow it and the philosophy. You will not go wrong.

Your question goes against the philosophy and the actual program.

And yes, I am on the program and I love the simplicity.

If you are qorking out 2 days a week, its a different story

Yes, you can squeeze in barbell rows on bench day or military press day. I wouldn’t go too heavy however, as BBB gets me pretty tired by the end of the 5 sets. I like to superset pullups, rather than barbell rows, but if you’d like you can go for it.
As for the 5/3/1 for barbell rowing, I don’t know what you’d do there. I’d rather do high rep work to stimulate more growth and increase grip strength so that it carries over to my bench/deadlift.
Give it a try, see if it works.

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
Do what you like.

I just want some opinions on the matter from people who are more experienced with 531 than me, since I don’t think Wendler covers this questions in his ebook (At least I think he doesn’t in the 2009 edition, IDK about the new one he released), and if someone else has tried it. [/quote]

he covered it so many times, it’s not even funny.

“The 5/3/1 philosophy is more important than the sets and reps. Whenever I feel like IÃ?¢??m getting sidetracked or want to try something different, I revisit these rules to make sure IÃ?¢??m doing things the right way. Even if you decide this program isnÃ?¢??t for you, these basic tenets have stood the test of time. Take these things to heart, and youÃ?¢??ll be greatly rewarded.”

also

“One day will be devoted to the standing military press, one day to the parallel squat, one day to the deadlift and one day to the bench press.”

If you want to change it, go nuts. But it is not 5/3/1 anymore and you are on your own.

Most questions are about 10% of the program. Just follow it and the philosophy. You will not go wrong.

Your question goes against the philosophy and the actual program.

And yes, I am on the program and I love the simplicity.

If you are qorking out 2 days a week, its a different story[/quote]

Thanks man. I do intend to follow the program as it is laid down. It’s given results to so many people both on the strength and muscle packing side, and after only one month I enjoyed every second of it, specially going nuts on that last set and challenging myself every day (Except this deload week, it’s kind of hard not to push myself but I understand my body needs to take it easy for it to be ready for my next cycle… I suppose that pulling back on myself is a challenge in and of itself).

I train four times a week, so I’m following the program as it is written with the BBB template, with BB rows as assistance work supersetted with the 5x10 sets of benches.

I’m gonna go ahead and anticipate you and state that I’ll report back in six months with results. You always seem to suggest that :wink:

You said it yourself, do a couple of cycles exactly as written before adjusting

If i am remembereing correctly he said that you can use any multijoint excercise for 5/3/1 like front sqaut, box sqaut row ect…However whether or not he suggest on the same day Im not sure but whether or not on the same day im not sure. Although he does suggest pairing a push with a pull.

That being said i would say just go for it and see how it goes. However i also want to mention that i myself have only been training for a little over a year so im not sure if you want to listen to me but thats just my 2 cents

Definitely agree with everything mentioned so far.

Two things though.

1. Dude, are you really 6’ and 290? That’s quite a large mammal. Care to share a pic?

2)[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:
I just find the 5/3/1 scheme quite practical and was asking on other user’s experience applying it to other exercises along with the 4 that Wendler uses on his program. [/quote]
Modification #6: Are there any other lifts that I can apply the 5/3/1 loading scheme to?

“You’ll be surprised by my answer, and how I came up with it,” says Wendler.

"I tore my labrum and my rotator cuff, and I need to get the bone shaved down. In other words, I can’t press for shit. But I still love to train.

So with pressing out of the question, I started applying 5/3/1 to some other big lifts. The first one I tried was barbell rows."

The result?

"I started at 225 pounds for 10 good reps. Six weeks later or so, I was up to 285 x 16.

So yeah, you can apply 5/3/1 to other lifts, and yes, it even works with barbell curls."

Wendler cautions not to overdo this scheme - don’t try to perform 5/3/1 with four different lifts per workout - but as long as they’re major barbell lifts, don’t be afraid to experiment with things like barbell rows, barbell curls, and power cleans.

“Just please don’t email me looking for help applying 5/3/1 to lateral raises and triceps pressdowns.”

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Definitely agree with everything mentioned so far.

Two things though.

1. Dude, are you really 6’ and 290? That’s quite a large mammal. Care to share a pic?

2)[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:
I just find the 5/3/1 scheme quite practical and was asking on other user’s experience applying it to other exercises along with the 4 that Wendler uses on his program. [/quote]
Modification #6: Are there any other lifts that I can apply the 5/3/1 loading scheme to?

“You’ll be surprised by my answer, and how I came up with it,” says Wendler.

"I tore my labrum and my rotator cuff, and I need to get the bone shaved down. In other words, I can’t press for shit. But I still love to train.

So with pressing out of the question, I started applying 5/3/1 to some other big lifts. The first one I tried was barbell rows."

The result?

"I started at 225 pounds for 10 good reps. Six weeks later or so, I was up to 285 x 16.

So yeah, you can apply 5/3/1 to other lifts, and yes, it even works with barbell curls."

Wendler cautions not to overdo this scheme - don’t try to perform 5/3/1 with four different lifts per workout - but as long as they’re major barbell lifts, don’t be afraid to experiment with things like barbell rows, barbell curls, and power cleans.

“Just please don’t email me looking for help applying 5/3/1 to lateral raises and triceps pressdowns.”

LOL @ large mammal. I am honored that you would call me that. Yeah, I’m a big dude, but not the kind of large mammal I’d like to be. I’m fat, but I’m also kind of weak. Since I don’t think I can kill those two birds with a single stone, I decided to fix the weak part first while also cleaning out my diet and doing some hard conditioning.

You should have seen me in august when I started hitting the gym again. I was a pretty good 140-something kilos of hugeness. Now I am fucking determined to become the biggest thing that has ever walked onto a bodybuilding stage in Mexico, one step at a time.

Im a young dude, I probably shouldnt even be giveing my 2 cents. Fuck it im going to anyways. Its seems like to me anytime you talk about 5/3/1, people automaticly get there panties in a bunch and say “do it the way wendler says” and if you ask them why, “cus he said so” well thats cool. However im the type of person that questions shit. I love the 5/3/1 sceme.

However my only question is why OHP, Why not rows instead? The comon answer is cus wendler said so. Im not saying I want to get rid of OHP all togeather, Im just saying if your going heay on bench, shouldnt the same be done for rows? Wendler had shoulder issues dont forget.

Why would you bump a year old thread?