T Nation

More Than 1500kcal a Day I Get Fat

Hello guys, i need some advice.

I recently dropped from 104 kg to 90 kg, eating 1500 kcal a day and training really hard. The thing is that if eat 1 more calorie, i start to gain fat. When i bulk, it doesn't matter if it is super clean, i always gain fat, and when i cut, i get back to 90 kg.

So i have two problems here : i have to eat a very low calorie diet just to maintain my 91 kg and can't eat any more calories without adding fat.

When i say i train hard, i mean 5 times a week,focusing on squats and deadlifts, with a max deadlift of 573 pounds, with some exercises consisting of 3 sets of 5 reps with 530 pounds, or upper back days with 16 sets of pull ups (wide grip, closed grip, reversed grip, etc..) with body weight or 10 kg attached...so it is pretty heavy training with only 1500 kcal a day. i don't feel weak nor use any kind of steroids.

I eat 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight, and only very "clean" carbs like oats. Todays is a non training day so all i'm getting is 1089 kcal (i have everything written down)

what's your advice to pack a little more muscle without adding fat, since it seems i can't eat more and i'm going as heavy as i can? I'm 33 years old.

Thank you very much.

Seems to me your math is off. 2g protein for every 1kg body weight already exceeds your 1,500 daily caloric intake. (198 lbs. body weight x 2g protein / lb. = 396g protein * 4 cal / gram pro = 1,584 total calories from protein alone). This would mean you eat no carbs or fat, which isn’t possible. I’d check your diet and get your numbers in line. And if you’re still having problems after that, it’s a medical issue. A person at your size should be able to eat much more than that.

[quote]mustache1 wrote:
Seems to me your math is off. 2g protein for every 1kg body weight already exceeds your 1,500 daily caloric intake. (198 lbs. body weight x 2g protein / lb. = 396g protein * 4 cal / gram pro = 1,584 total calories from protein alone). This would mean you eat no carbs or fat, which isn’t possible. I’d check your diet and get your numbers in line. And if you’re still having problems after that, it’s a medical issue. A person at your size should be able to eat much more than that.[/quote]

how it is off? you are multiplying by my weight in Lbs…i eat 2 x 91 not 2 x 198…like i said "i eat 2 grams of protein by each kilogram of body weight)

At 2g per kilo, you’re taking in less than a gram per pound. I suspect that might be your problem. If you’re carb tolerant, you should be eating 1.5g per pound (3.3g per kilo). If you’re not carb tolerant, which I suspect, make it 4.4 per kilo.

This needs to be complete protein- containing all of the amino acids necessary for it to be used as muscle tissue. Beans contain protein, but they’re missing an amino and are therefore burned as fuel. Milk, eggs, meats, fish, etc. are preferred protein sources.

Check your carb sources and timing. Eating a bunch of simple carbs outside the “window” is a no-no. A ton of fructose is a big mistake, as well. There are tons of nutrient timing articles. Do some studying on it.

I’m pretty sure that will solve your problem. More protein from better sources and better carbs with proper timing works wonders.

It looks like you only train with low reps. Do you ever train with higher reps?

Post your diet with amounts. Perhaps your calorie counter is off.

Any digestive issues? Could your “fat” be bloating?

I’m also fasting 16 hours a day, here is how i eat :

Lunch (12:00 h) :

250 g of cooked ground chicken
30 g of oat powder
30 g of tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

(i mix everything in the pan, heat and eat)

Pre-workout (18:00 h):

40 g of whey protein
30 g of oat powder

Post-Workout (19:00) :

20 g of honey
20 g of whey

Dinner (21:00 h) :

15 g of oat powder
15 g of Tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

i tried to break all this in 6 meals a day, but fasting made me lose a lot of fat and it is much easier.

I sometimes go for higher reps, saturday for example, i go for leg extensions and leg curls, 4 sets of 12 reps with all the wieght there is in the machine.

i can get bigger but it always comes with fat. when i lean down it seems i always end up looking the same as i did before bulking. i know i don’t look fantastic, but i think 90 kg for 180m is ok at my age, and i also like the strenght gain aspect of how i train.if i could just pack a little more muscle say, looking as lean as i am in the photo but with added 2 or 3 pounds of muscle.

thank you for all your kind replies.

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

I sometimes go for higher reps, saturday for example, i go for leg extensions and leg curls, 4 sets of 12 reps with all the wieght there is in the machine.

[/quote]

Ever try it with the primary lifts? What is your training like?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
At 2g per kilo, you’re taking in less than a gram per pound. I suspect that might be your problem. If you’re carb tolerant, you should be eating 1.5g per pound (3.3g per kilo). If you’re not carb tolerant, which I suspect, make it 4.4 per kilo.

This needs to be complete protein- containing all of the amino acids necessary for it to be used as muscle tissue. Beans contain protein, but they’re missing an amino and are therefore burned as fuel. Milk, eggs, meats, fish, etc. are preferred protein sources.

Check your carb sources and timing. Eating a bunch of simple carbs outside the “window” is a no-no. A ton of fructose is a big mistake, as well. There are tons of nutrient timing articles. Do some studying on it.

I’m pretty sure that will solve your problem. More protein from better sources and better carbs with proper timing works wonders. [/quote]

this is what i was thinking of doing, increasing my protein intake, but it eventualy adds up to my calorie count and i might end up getting fat…but this might be what i’ll try to do first.

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

[…]

i tried to break all this in 6 meals a day, but fasting made me lose a lot of fat and it is much easier.[/quote]

It’s possible that fasting may be the right choice for you while on a caloric deficit, but not the right choice when on a surplus.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

[/quote]

Ever try it with the primary lifts? What is your training like?

Also, are you really eating zero vegetables daily?[/quote]

Yes, i don’t eat vegetables. i live alone and i am trying to figure out a way opf bulk cooking vegetables for the month. i take a multivitamin.

my training is regimen is :

Day1 Chest :

Incline Bench press - 4 sets of 8 reps - 110 kg
Incline closed bench press - 4x8x100 kg
Bench Press - 4x8x110 kg
Bench press - 4x12x80 kg

Day 2 Upper Back :

Wide Grip pull up - 4x8x10 kg attached to body
Shoulder wide grip pull up - 4x8xbodyweight
Closed grip Pullup - 4x8xB.W
Reversed grip pull Up - 4x8xB.W
Barbell Shrugs - 4x8x140 kg

Day3 Deadlift (current training)

1x20x20 kg (wieght of the bar)
1x10x100 kg
1x8x140 kg
1x6x170 kg
1x4x200

3x5x240 (rest 3 min. between sets)

Day5 Shoulder :

Standing Military press - 4x8x80 kg
Standing military press Behind Neck - 4x8x70 kg
Dumbell Lateral Raises - 4x10x15 kg each hand

Day5

Squats (current training) :

1x20xbar weight (20 kg)
1x10x100 kg
1x8x130
1x6x150
1x4x170
1x1x190
1x6x160
1x1x190
1x6x170
1x1x190

Day6 (Leg Extensions and leg curls)

LEg Extensions :

4x12x all the weight

Leg Curls :

4x12x half the weight

You can cook veggies in a microwave. It’s pretty simple. Or just buy them frozen and let them thaw out and eat them like that if you really don’t want to cook them. I noticed a pretty dramatic change in my physique when I started eating them regularly.

You always use the same weight and rep ranges for every movement when you train? This could potentially be contributing to the issue as well.

ok, i’ll try to ad vegetables to my diet.

regarding the weights i use, i always try to go as heavy as possiblem, increasing them

[quote]RickWolf wrote:
ok, i’ll try to ad vegetables to my diet.

regarding the weights i use, i always try to go as heavy as possiblem, increasing them[/quote]

I would strongly consider some sort of plan of progression if possible. I feel like that would have an overall better impact on your training, which would in turn possibly aid your physique concerns.

It seems you have a bodybuilding focus. You might consider KingBeef’s thread

5/3/1 is also popular.

First off, We all want to put on muscle without gaining fat. Secondly, If your only eating 1500 calories at 90kg and putting on fat eating slightly more than this… Your metabolism is in the shitter from eating such a low calorie diet for so long. You can only get so far eating on such low calories. First thing I would do is slowly up my calories again or start doing some refeeds once or twice a week.

Don’t worry, Your not going to gain a bunch of fat upping your calories by 100-200 or eating 300-400 carbs once a week. If anything, you will probably start to lose some fat again. I have been in your situation and just from adding one 4hour carb up once a week did wonders. IMO, I think your workout and protein are just fine. Here is a great interview with Layne Norton about what I think is happening in your situation. Best of luck man! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Sorry i think i gav you the wrong impression. i cylce my training plan as i have a personal trainer who comes to my workout place two times a week for the squat and deadlift days, the training i described is what i am currently doing but it changes from time to time.

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

30 g of oat powder
30 g of tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

40 g of whey protein
30 g of oat powder

20 g of honey
20 g of whey

15 g of oat powder
15 g of Tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

[/quote]

How much fat do you eat? What is oat powder? You eat almost no real food.

I’m no expert, but at 1,000-1,500 calories a day it seems like your body is basically in survival mode. If you’re really storing fat at 1501 calories then my guess is your body thinks food is scare and wants to live…

I’ve no idea how you have any energy or even feel good at such a low caloric intake.

AzCats beat me to it.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

30 g of oat powder
30 g of tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

40 g of whey protein
30 g of oat powder

20 g of honey
20 g of whey

15 g of oat powder
15 g of Tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

[/quote]

I’m no expert, but at 1,000-1,500 calories a day it seems like your body is basically in survival mode. If you’re really storing fat at 1501 calories then my guess is your body thinks food is scare and wants to live…

I’ve no idea how you have any energy or even feel good at such a low caloric intake. [/quote]

it puzzles me too because i can lift whatever weight my coach put in front of me, i don’t use a belt or straps and lifting those weights are hard but no impossible even with such small caloric intake (i know it is far from what others eat)

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]RickWolf wrote:

30 g of oat powder
30 g of tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

40 g of whey protein
30 g of oat powder

20 g of honey
20 g of whey

15 g of oat powder
15 g of Tapioca powder
30 g of egg whites

[/quote]

I’ve no idea how you have any energy or even feel good at such a low caloric intake. [/quote]

Protein : 183 g
Protein from Vegetables : 12 g
Carbs: 121 g
Fat: 23 g