more tall guy tips please!

I would like to see this thread continue with additional tips and exercises. I’m 6’5" and have had trouble putting on good size. I can put on weight but not much quality (muscle) weight. Any suggestions for back exercises. Also, do you taller guys usually work your shoulders directly?

I am 6’5" and I fell into the mode of thinking that I couldn’t do certain movements very well because I was tall and had long limbs.

No More.

I used to do front squats (oly-style) but noticed that I wasn’t progressing well with weights. I read Dave Tate’s articles on powerlifting and am now back-squatting powerlifter style. Let me tell you, it works!
I do bench presses, dips, chinups and bentover rows for upper body. Lower body I focus on back squats, hack squats, deadlifts, power cleans and glute-ham raises.
Another thing to think about. Have you ever watched the Strongman competitions on ESPN? Alot of those guys are tall and do really well. I know that everyone isn’t as massive as them, but it is still food for thought.
I, for one, am not going to let my height stand in the way of gaining strength and power. I am committed to using my height to the best of my abilities and working with it - not against it.

How do you other tall guys do on deadlifts? I find that I tear up my shins pretty bad when I use strict form. I’ve even started using shin guards for this reason. Anyone else have a similar problem? I’m almost 6’4" tall.

I am 76" and my shins are bloodied after a heavy deadlift day. But it’s all good… What bothers me more is performing hack squats. Any suggestions?

Depending on the exercise and my primary objectives of the work out that I am using, I have found that really concentrating on the tempo of the movement has helped add decent thickness to my frame.

I also have discovered that one-limbed exercises, such as one-armed barbell shoulder presses or one-legged deadlifts work really well for me, and they leave me absolutely dead.

I would add that I consume six to eight clean meals a day and really work on limiting my energy expenditure in other activities. Still, the thickness comes slowly…