More Squatting Template 531 2nd Edition

For any of those that have the second edition and have seen the proposed “More Squatting Template”, I was hoping to get some feedback. Wendler said that he never tried this template, and was just throwing it out there to see if anyone would try it. Unlike all other templates, this has you in the gym 5 days a week, which is appealing to me (I already bastardized his program and will admit that I shouldn’t have). But basically, I like being in the gym as much as possible and this program help with that.

But since he didn’t elaborate on it that much, I had a few questions. Do you guys think that cardio 2-4 weeks applies? Would substituting Db Incline Press for Db Press, weight-vest push-ups, or dips be ok? I don’t want to bastardize Jim’s template before even trying it but Db Incline Press has always bugged my shoulders. Should I just start light and play with the form before making changes to the template?

[quote]wildcat09 wrote:
For any of those that have the second edition and have seen the proposed “More Squatting Template”, I was hoping to get some feedback. Wendler said that he never tried this template, and was just throwing it out there to see if anyone would try it. Unlike all other templates, this has you in the gym 5 days a week, which is appealing to me (I already bastardized his program and will admit that I shouldn’t have). But basically, I like being in the gym as much as possible and this program help with that.

But since he didn’t elaborate on it that much, I had a few questions. Do you guys think that cardio 2-4 weeks applies? Would substituting Db Incline Press for Db Press, weight-vest push-ups, or dips be ok? I don’t want to bastardize Jim’s template before even trying it but Db Incline Press has always bugged my shoulders. Should I just start light and play with the form before making changes to the template?[/quote]

You should definitely still include conditioning in your program. Just ease into it so it wont kill you.

Substituting flat db press for incline press is no big deal.

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind about conditioning. I tend to overdo it. But I wasn’t planning on substituting flat db press. The template has flat db press on Mon; Db incline on Tues. So, I was thinking Just regular seated or standing Db Press instead of the incline

[quote]wildcat09 wrote:
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind about conditioning. I tend to overdo it. But I wasn’t planning on substituting flat db press. The template has flat db press on Mon; Db incline on Tues. So, I was thinking Just regular seated or standing Db Press instead of the incline[/quote]

That should be fine too

Thanks. I’m gonna start next week. How does cardio on Mondays and Fridays to start out with and Abs on Tuesdays and Thursdays sound?

I used to run long distance; so, I’m preferable to steady state running and typically run 15-20 minutes 4x a week. I know Wendler (among others) hates steady-state running like this, so I was planning on trying Sprints. But that’s still up in the air depending on how I feel squatting 5 days week.

For abs, I was planning on doing Wendler’s “How to Have Stronger Abs” Circuit: Weighted Sit-Ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Rollers, and Side Bends on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I feel like these additions would still be acceptable on the 531 template, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

[quote]wildcat09 wrote:
Thanks. I’m gonna start next week. How does cardio on Mondays and Fridays to start out with and Abs on Tuesdays and Thursdays sound? I used to run long distance; so, I’m preferable to steady state running and typically run 15-20 minutes 4x a week. I know Wendler (among others) hates steady-state running like this, so I was planning on trying Sprints. But that’s still up in the air depending on how I feel squatting 5 days week. For abs, I was planning on doing Wendler’s “How to Have Stronger Abs” Circuit: Weighted Sit-Ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Rollers, and Side Bends on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I feel like these additions would still be acceptable on the 531 template, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.[/quote]

If I was you, I wouldn’t do the ab circuit for this. Just because you are training so frequently. I would suggest doing one exercise for each day. Probly just for 3 sets. With all the squatting and conditioning, your abs are going to be getting plenty of work.

so,
Monday-lift and db side bends
Tuesday- lift and condition
Wendesday- lift and ab wheel
Thursday- lift and condition
Friday- just lift
Saturday & Sunday- eat and sleep like it’s thanksgiving

If you wanted to, you could change the exercises the next week to weighted situps and leg raises, and then go back the week after that. Or you could just keep side bends and ab wheel. It won’t make a difference really

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I’ll definitely give that a go for a while. I definitely agree about getting plenty of work. So we’ll see how it goes for several cycles before I attempt to make any real changes.

[quote]wildcat09 wrote:
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I’ll definitely give that a go for a while. I definitely agree about getting plenty of work. So we’ll see how it goes for several cycles before I attempt to make any real changes.[/quote]

You should definitely put up a training log on here. I’d be very interested in how it works out, because I haven’t seen anyone try this template.

What’s up, Wildcat? Did you end up trying this template, and if so, how is it working out for you?

I gave it a thorough read and it’s effectively the same as the Full Body Training template, plus two extra squat/press/pull days, except on these extra two days the squats are relatively light and very low volume, the press is incline only (obviously to minimise direct fatigue to the shoulders or chest, instead mildly hitting both) and the pull is chin ups only. Also worth noting, there is no 5/3/1 movement on the extra days.

I’ve been running the Full Body Training template since January 2nd, and I’m about to convert it to a slightly bastardised version of More Squatting, for the purpose of adding dynamic squat work to kill my sticking point, and generally exercise a bit more. So I thought I’d chime in on your post here for curiosity.

Anyway, my routine will be:

Monday (already doing)
Chins 3 x 10
Squat 531
Dips 50 total
Good Morning 3 x 10
Abs 1 set to fail

TUESDAY
Single leg squats BW 5 x 10
Box squat 60% of Back Squat max 10 x 2
DB Press (light)
Chins

Wednesday (already doing)
Chins 3 x 10
Squat FBT Phase 3 (I’ve already completed 3 cycles each of Phase 1 and 2, plus 1 of Phase 3)
Close Grip Bench 531
DB Row
Abs 1 set to fail

THURSDAY
Single leg squats BW 5 x 10
Box squat 60% of Back Squat max 10 x 2
DB Bench Press (light)
Chins

Friday (already doing)
Chins 3 x 10
Squat FBT Phase 3 (already doing)
OHP 531
Deadlift 531 for Powerlifting
Abs 1 set to fail

I don’t do any structured conditioning.

And I will keep logging on here of course.

Good luck!