T Nation

More Squatting Template - 5/3/1 2nd Ed

Hello, I´m about to run this template for a period of a couple of months at least. It calls for squatting 5 times a week, each day has one squat one press and one pulling movement.

My current stats after running starting strength in complete ketosis in a caloric defecit, training on no carbs for about 4 months after a 6 month layoff to regain strength and mass and lose som fat and experimenting with chaos and pain for a couple of weeks:

Total 1226lbs
Squat: 382
Bench: 337
Deadlift: 506
Press: about 190
Weight: about 250

The program:
Monday:
Squat 5/3/1
DB Bench Press 3x10-15
DB Rows 3x10

Tuesday:
Squat 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
DB Incline Press 3x10-15
Chinups 3x10

Wednesday:
Squat 75%x3, 85%x3, 95%x1
Bench Press 5/3/1
Chin/Pullups 3x10

Thursday:
Squat 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
Incline Press 3x10-15
Chinups 3x10

Friday:
Squat 75%x3, 85%x3, 95%x1
Press 5/3/1
Deadlift 5/3/1

There has been some great research done by Norways powerlifting association that opened my eyes to high frequency training protocols

This coupled with reading the John Broz method, chaos and pain, a bit on eastern block OLY training and SMOLOV and the fact that i have gotten my greatest resluts squatting 3 times a week, has inspired me to go ahead and give More Squatting a go. I have run 5/3/1 full body template before as well as, upper/lower, NOV (north of the vag) etc.

I´m now on a cyclical ketogenic diet and my caloric intake is around 5000 give or take with a smaller carbup period than (3h as in Chaos and Pain) Dan Duchaines body opus or Mauro Di Pasquale anabolic diet.
However I will alow myself to stray and experiment with carb ups. My main source for swithching to keto or LCHF as we say in Sweden is Dr Gregg Ellis work and the fact that a food revolution is taking place right now in Sweden. We are in the forefront of this movement statistically and demographically, 25% of the population is either considering or minimizing their carb intake and our FDA (livsmedelsverket) has rearanged our food pyramid going from 8-11 servings or carbs a day to a model that encourages quality over macro quantity.

Adding that the LCHF is greenlighted by gov´t authorities to treat diabetes and obesity, it sure is exciting times we are living in! Let´s brake some longheld dogmatic thinking on diet and training T-Nation!

Dr Gregg Ellis work,check him out on youtube or his reasearch regarding glycation, glycated proteins (the glycation factor) and this entry: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/carbohydratetofat_conversion

LCHF Food revolution going on in sweden with video:

I will give updates on whatever topics I feel like and post workouts, maybe not all my sessions. But I will write how I feel on this setup and give you some numbers.

Ps, I have been coaching my family, LCHF success, obese younger brother brother and mother went down 25 pounds each in 4 months and still going down without counting calories, 2 younger brothers gained 14 pounds with 1 younger brother 18 punds on starting strength and a heap of strength in only 3 weeks (!!!) on a caloric surplus with a standard teen household diet with added whey milk eggs and meat.

Let the training begin! And my second job, eating…

Results of Frequency Project Norway

The results of frequency project starts to become clear - and so far they show not only clear trends, the results are statistically significant. Bjørnar Brende Smestad participated in the project and has here written a preliminary report.

The study was conducted in the fall, where a large group of powerlifters (27 athletes participated in pre-testing) were collected at the Sports Academy in Oslo for different pretest before they were divided into two training groups: a group that would train three sessions a week and a that would train six sessions a week - both groups performed identically weekly training volume. After a training period of three months, volunteers gathered again for re-testing - and it is thus the data from re-tests that are now starting to become clear.

Testing athletes went through was twofold:

Strength Tester, where strength was tested equipment freely in the squat, bench press and deadlift. In addition, it was carried isometric (static force) tests, by allowing athletes run max in kneekstensjon against a load cell at different knevinkler. Suppleness were also tested using a force platform.

Objective anthropometric tests:

• MRI of the thigh (change in muscle cross-sectional area of ​​the quadriceps)
  • Inbody 720 - analysis of body composition
    Ultrasound of M. vastus lateralis - here, changes in the thickness of the muscle and the fiber angle (which can indicate change in muscle length) tested. Some participants tested in a so called DEXA machine, which is the most reliable analysis of body composition.

In addition to these tests, practitioners have also gone through a diet record of 4 days which is analyzed by nutrition researchers at Olympiatoppen.

It was Alexander Church Teig and NSF who initiated the study, and were joined by Truls Raastad at the Sports Academy, as project manager. Furthermore, Ina Garth from NIH and Olympic top with to implement a cost-registration of participants.

By the results made public at this stage there is little doubt which of the two groups that received the best progress. Based on all parameters had six days the group better progress in all tests except the resilience test. In most tests was the difference statistically significant.

As an example from the tests can be seen in the overall strength of the athletes in the squat: At boot 3 day group 1 kg stronger in the squat than the 6 day group. After the training intervention, this ratio is reversed and 6 day group were on average was 10 kg in the squat stronger than the 3 day group. This despite the fact that the 3-day group had an average of a gain of more than 5% during the training period.

Together both groups increased 275 kg in squat, 217.5 kg in bench press and 235 kg in the deadlift - so strength wise, this is like a top powerlifter on the team.

With these results as a basis, there is little doubt that this group was most effective to train with high frequency. This can be said on the basis of both groups trained exactly as much in a week, but 6-day group had the largest improvement.

In practice, this indicates that if you reduce the amount of each exercise in terms of what is normal (for Norwegian powerlifters), it appears that the muscle recovers faster, and you again can stimulate muscle (with training) after a short rest period . It appears that the main effect is that it increases the number of sequences of stimuli (training / breakdown) and adaptation (recovery) within a given period, thus greater progress. 6 day group had twice as many training sessions and have had about twice as much progress in the squat. The groups, in other words had about as much success as. workout, but the 6-day group had twice as many training sessions and hence twice as much progress within the same time period.

Furthermore, an investigation on how long the effects last, out of the three moons that were used in this study, and perhaps the most interesting - how do different exercise frequency affect athletes who are closer to their genetic potential than these athletes were? A different approach should be researched, how much stimuli that actually required to initiate adaptation (growth) per workout and how often it can be done. Will be able to benefit from distributing the workout even more weekly sessions?

It should be noted that all athletes ever sent weekly reports of completed training. These reports were carefully monitored to keep track of such overtraining. Performers received follow both via email and phone during the entire training period. Such training should be conducted in consultation with experienced and competent trainers.

Church Teig hoping to get published the full results of the study in an international journal during this year.
All participants will soon receive a written summary of their results.
NSF and NIH also plans to have him one of results that will be open to participants of the project and all NSF-lifters. This will probably be held in conjunction with the Junior European Championships in Hamar in June, more information will be published on styrkeloft.no when approaching.

Allright I have soon trained for 10 days straight, don´t feel beat down. I ran Chaos and pain for days then head straight into more squatting template. The week begun with finding out maxes for bench and squat and a heavy session this monday, the next day I hit lighter squats with my 90% training weights, I feel refreshed no DOMS and no nervous system fatigue or overtraining symptoms to talk about. Today thursday is a lighter squat day with inc db press and chins.

Yesterday I hit 12 reps with 115 kg on bench and calculated my bench max to 166 kg, when I maxed out this monday I got 150 kg, My wrists/grip and my upper back needs triceps/chest shoulders to be more solid to handle this weight. My all time max in bench is 165 kg, it seens that my muscle memory quiet exactly know my old limit from 2011.

I will end the week with 531 reps week one wave one on deadlifts 5 reps for each set with as many as I can on the last set. The set will be preformed with 170 kgs, I have a recent rep max of 8 reps mon that weght let´s see how I preform.