More Squatting From 5/3/1 2nd Ed?

Howdy all.

Getting ready to start Fullbody 5/3/1 next week after I finish my current deload. I started reading the 2nd edition of 5/3/1 and then I saw this template right at the end of the Fullbody Section. It’s called “More Squatting”:

MONDAY:
Squat 5/3/1
DB Bench Press 3x10-15
DB Rows 3x10

TUESDAY:
Squat 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
DB Incline Press 3x10-15
Chinups 3x10

WEDNESDAY:
Squat 75%x3, 85%x3, 95%x1
Bench Press 5/3/1
Chin/Pullups 3x10

THURSDAY:
Squat 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3
Incline Press 3x10-15
Chinups 3x10

Friday:
Squat 75%x3, 85%x3, 95%x1
Press 5/3/1
Deadlift 5/3/1

This is f-ing insane!! Has anybody tried this split? Even JW says he’s never done it.

I’m currently doing something similar.

I am currently about to start my 3rd Cycle of Phase 3.

My 5/3/1 full body training is identical as written for M/W/F, with the following exercise layout:

Monday
Squat 531
Dips 5 x 10
Good morning 3 x 10
Chins
Abs

Wednesday
Squat FBT
Bench 531
DB row max reps
Chins
Abs

Friday
Squat FBT
Press 531
Deadlift 351 plus singles (powerlifting template)
Chins
Abs

Additional workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays:

Single Leg Squats
Bodyweight; 5 x 10 for each leg

Parallel Box Squats
60% of actual 1RM; 10 x 2

Arnold Press/Incline Press/Dumbbell Bench
Very light; 3 x 15 - supersetted with a few chin ups

Kettlebell Swings
20kg; 5 x 20

…so it’s similar to the “more squatting” template but geared towards fixing my sticking point and allowing some active recovery and conditioning.

I don’t bother logging these extra workouts though.

It’s something I had to work up to. In all honesty, I found the standard full body template fairly taxing for the first few cycles. Personally, I’d complete 3 cycles of Phase 1 and 2 before considering the “more Squats” version. But I’d also be curious to see how you go diving straight into it.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
I’m currently doing something similar.

I am currently about to start my 3rd Cycle of Phase 3.

My 5/3/1 full body training is identical as written for M/W/F, with the following exercise layout:

Monday
Squat 531
Dips 5 x 10
Good morning 3 x 10
Chins
Abs

Wednesday
Squat FBT
Bench 531
DB row max reps
Chins
Abs

Friday
Squat FBT
Press 531
Deadlift 351 plus singles (powerlifting template)
Chins
Abs

Additional workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays:

Single Leg Squats
Bodyweight; 5 x 10 for each leg

Parallel Box Squats
60% of actual 1RM; 10 x 2

Arnold Press/Incline Press/Dumbbell Bench
Very light; 3 x 15 - supersetted with a few chin ups

Kettlebell Swings
20kg; 5 x 20

…so it’s similar to the “more squatting” template but geared towards fixing my sticking point and allowing some active recovery and conditioning.

I don’t bother logging these extra workouts though.

It’s something I had to work up to. In all honesty, I found the standard full body template fairly taxing for the first few cycles. Personally, I’d complete 3 cycles of Phase 1 and 2 before considering the “more Squats” version. But I’d also be curious to see how you go diving straight into it.[/quote]

I don’t want to die, bro! (Overly dramatic, much? Lol)

Seriously, I’m just about to start 531 FBT, so my plan was to run all 4 phases, two months or three months each depending on how I feel, and only then consider this split, but I’d probably ease into it, not run head first into it… Although that would be kind of fun!

[quote]Freaky_Frankie wrote:

I don’t want to die, bro! (Overly dramatic, much? Lol)

Seriously, I’m just about to start 531 FBT, so my plan was to run all 4 phases, two months or three months each depending on how I feel, and only then consider this split, but I’d probably ease into it, not run head first into it… Although that would be kind of fun![/quote]

I have bad news for you, man. It happens to us all sooner or later!

Sounds like a sensible plan though. I haven’t met anyone who has run the More Squats template yet… would be curious to know how they went with it.

I created a basic excel spreadsheet so I could print and track things out with some ease. I alternate back squats and front squats to have heavy and light days. I also switched out the pressing movement on Monday for stiff legged deadlifts because my hamstrings need more focus but you can always change it. I do believe in some conditioning even with such high frequency squatting so I included lunges or sled work which you can also change to fit your needs.

I have done the “more squatting” template for 3 cycles, now and it has improved my squatting numbers. It looks like a lot on paper, but it really is very manageable if you just stick to the recommended squatting structure. I was sore the first week of it, but then my body evidently became used to the frequency.