T Nation

More Southpaws?

When I was watching the Chad Dawson-Antonio Tarver fight, I was struck by the fact that it was actually two southpaws squaring off in a title fight. Odd.

Then, Max Kellerman started talking about Dawson, and how he's a southpaw because he's emulating someone he admired growing up (I think his father or his trainer, don't remember). Kellerman said that Dawson is a natural right hander who prefers to fight in the southpaw stance, which he thought made sense because you use your forward hand for 75 percent of your punches. He also said there seems to be a lot of people like this coming up or in boxing (Paul Williams, Winky Wright, Carlos Quintana, Pacquaio, Dawson, Tarver, Collazo, etc.) and that in 20 years, we might see the sport being predominantly southpaws.

As someone who's a righty but fights southpaw, I thought this was pretty damn cool! Any thoughts?

I thought this was interesting. Fuck you guys.

lol I'm actually a southpaw who fights in reverse. 'Cross-Dominant' is what I've heard it called.

Had a decent left jab when I was actively training in marital arts, but more often than not wound up fighting with my right side forward.

Don't keep up with boxing so I don't have any opinion on that.

I am originally orthodox and switched to south paw when I started to train Jeet Kune Do, which was inspired by western fencing. Nowadays I'm a switch hitter, I dont care much which side is forward. Though my right jab is harder than my left jab. It is great for ruining tactics based on left lead :slightly_smiling:

think about it irish, f your a righty fighting southpaw, then your strong dominant hand is out forward, nailing your opponent with lots of jabs that are nearly as strong as your cross would be.

I know some righties that like to fight southpaw. I'm sure it feels natural to some people. Personally I can't get anything right the other way round.

I've thought about this before, and if you can pull it off, it obviously gives you an advantage because of the fact that most people are used to orthodox stances.

But in order to be able to pull it off, I'm guessing that you have got to be pretty much ambidextrous. I know a Muay Thai Coach and he's pretty much able to switch between southpaw and orthodox whenever he wants. I've watched him train for a year and a half and I still not sure if he's naturally a lefty, righty or what :slight_smile:

I'm also guessing that if you're not ambidextrous and you still want to do this you should probably be fast enough not to need a hard cross or hard rear leg kicks.

I'm ambidextrous and as a dancer I learnt to do everything on both sides. But my coach didnt want me switching because he preffered perfect technique on one hand as opposed to average technique with both sides.

I am a swarming switch hitter! but I don't box

I have noticed the same thing over the last few years and I am also a righty that fights lefty but alot of that was training in Wing Chun first and then boxing second.

I am a lefty, but the martial art that I studied for 18 years is more geared towards righties. I pretty much feel comfortable on either side now.

Oscar de la Hoya is a lefty who actually fights orthodox. Prolly the reason that his left hook was so feared when he was at the top of his game.

You know, I was wondering that myself about DLH. Doesn't surprise me at all- that's probably where that hook came from.

Oh definitely. I've rung people's bells with my stiff jab before. it actually surprised me that it lands almost has hard as my cross.

However, it took me a long time to get my cross anywhere near effective. Actually, karate helped that alot because if forced me to hit with that hand all the time, and punch straight while doing it. However, my left hook and uppercut are still not that strong.

And as for being ambidextrous I guess I'm just an oddball. I write and throw righty but bat, box, play hockey and golf lefty. I just can't stand with my left leg forward. Watching me try to box righty is like watching someone with cerebral palsy do gymnastics.