T Nation

More Size Equals More Strength?

It’s the ideal weight class for powerlifting. Weight classes are effectively height classes in the sport, as the folks with the highest totals are those that can get as much muscle on their frame at that weight. Trying to be heavier than 242lbs at 5’9 tends to be impossible without just being really fat, while being lighter than that tends to mean giving up pounds on the platform.

Kroc was 5’9 and competed at 220 with some crazy weight cuts.

1 Like

If you’re six foot and you’re 200 pounds, I can’t use you. Sorry.

Is this in reference to women?

If it’s about men and power lifting then how does 6’5" and 220 work for you? :laughing:

I don’t know either of these women but the one on the left looks like a dude in the face. That points to PEDs or a genetics.

My wife competed in D1 track so I’ve learned a bit about it. Some of the elite high jumpers are basically men who’s junk never dropped. Their DNA is like a man’s but their body still has female reproductive organs. I’m not saying they’re freaks or anything. They just tend to be bigger and better than other women.

I could be making this up, but I think some of them even have the Y chromosome.

It’s not PEDs but these individuals will definitely stand out in women’s competition.

Anyone that wants to learn more on this topic will want to put “sciencevet2 gender” into their favourite search engine!

I know, it’s a bit on the light side.

PEDs, she’s not even trying to hide it. Her coach openly talks about drugs.

Big clits are better?

5’4"/165lbs not sure how I feel about this.

1 Like

Yeah, I know you were putting it up because of that, my question was about the reasoning behind the weights. Pwn covered it.

I feel attacked :sob:

1 Like

The original post says it’s the untested and tested top lifters in their weight classes. The one you’re talking about is untested, aka juiced to the gills.

There is a separate chart for women

2 Likes

I was thrown off because someone said the untested one looked smaller. Here it is.

I didn’t think there was any doubt that the girl on the left is bigger. Her arms and delts are like legs on a normal girl.

Can’t comment about that part of their anatomy. The high jumpers are typically over 6’2" and have long limbs. This includes their hands so that might make certain objects appear smaller than they are…

What?!? Sorry, but you don’t fit that description. I’m referring to girls like this. She’s 6’ 3". Not all of them fall into the genetic category, though. Some are just tall.

1 Like

Oh! So it’s just a height requirement. Whew…That was a close one!

1 Like

Fuck me, guess I need to put on 40lbs…

For me it’s 70 lbs :sob::see_no_evil:

This is now my favourite weight chart. Screw you BMI chart.

9 Likes

I’m not so sure about this now, I tried looking around and I see no other chart plus this one doesn’t specify that it’s for men. It will certainly be harder for women to get to that size without being fat as hell, but strength doesn’t discriminate.

@allberg - Do you know anything about this?

1 Like

All I could find was this,

It’s pretty much the same for women. You won’t be able to stack on as much muscle mass per unit of height but you’ve also got a higher amount of essential fat. Again though, these aren’t exact numbers. They’re just to get you thinking about getting your body composition to the point where you can perform at your absolute best. If you do that and you are technically competent in the lifts those two things alone will take you a long way.

There’s some fat free mass calculators embedded in an article series on this topic over at Stronger by Science where you can input your own body measurements to calculate how much muscular weight you specifically can hold. The chart is based on elite level competitors that thus have favourable bone measurements at the given heights.

I. e., I may be 6"1’ but with my petite wrists and ankles I, according to the calculator, can expect to hold a “Maximum Lean Body Mass at 12% body fat” at 96kg.

Meanwhile, of you are taller than the tallest entry you can add 10% of weight for each inch assuming you have favourable bone structure:

The ‘formula’ for this is roughly 10% weight for every inch of height (roughly)…so for heights above 6’0:

6’1 @265 lb.
6’2 @290 lb.
6’3 @320 lb.
6’4 @350 lb.
6’5 @385 lb.
6’6 @425 lb. (Eddie Hall & Brian Shaw’s weight)
6’7 @470 lb. (The Mountain is listed at 440lbs)
6’8 @515 lb.
6’9 @565 lb.

Brian Shaw 6’8, Eddie 6’3, & The Mountain 6’9

1 Like

Apparently the formula is for enhanced people because those strongman beasts are juiced to the gills. I’d like to think they would exceed their predicted numbers.

The only thing I know for sure is that I was a helluva a lot stronger when I weighed 165 than I am now. Of course I was a few years younger too. And yes there was fat involved, it took an enormous amount of filthy food to get there and beyond.

It would be great to be strong again, just not sure I am willing to buy that size clothes again just to find out. On the other hand it’s a license for an all you can eat/ eat what you want kinda thing…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It is about optimal height/weight ratios for powerlifting performance, that’s all. There are some guys who are way off the chart too, like Ed Coan is around 5’4 or 5’6 and was competing at 242 at the end of his career. Even Mike Tuchscherer, who never failed a drug test, was a lean 275 at 5’10 before the IPF changed up weight classes.

It’s just easier to get bigger with drugs, that’s all.

1 Like