More Regulations on Supplements?

I received this email today from one of my distributors.

[i] Tell Your Senators to OPPOSE the FTC amendment to S. 3217, the Restoring American Financial Stability Act of 2010.

The amendment could needlessly expand the rulemaking and enforcement authority of the Federal Trade Commission to dietary supplements. If the proposed amendment to S. 3217 passes, it will add burdensome new regulations and cede more authority over your business to the FTC – just what the U.S. economy does not need.

Should these additional powers be granted to the FTC, you can expect to see the following:

*The FTC will have authority to create advertising guidelines that are inconsistent with what is allowed under DSHEA and the Food and Drug Administration

*The FTC acting as a legislative body, creating “rules” for industries like ours in areas in which it has no expertise

*The FTC levying fines against businesses for practices it deems illegal without allowing the business to change its policies

*The FTC levying fines against companies for “aiding and abetting” wrongdoing even when the companies did not know a violation was occurring

*The FTC making, approving, and policing rules with virtually no oversight [/i]

A related story with the same bottom line: more regulations.