More Reasons to Hate RD's

not all, but most.

A guy’s wife is an RD… he makes a FB post about creamer and I suggest something a bit more natural at least in half and half. Discussion turns into him saying “partially hydrogenated oils being bad is blown out of proportion…”

amazing, a husband of an RD saying such a thing, carry on.

just venting frustration about educated people being blind.

“I don’t know much about this sutff, just going by what my college educated wife, a RD has to say”

Every nutrition expert I’ve read who has published their list of dietary disasters has included partially hydrogenated oils on their lists.

Besides high fructose corn syrup, no foodstuffs will destroy your health worse than PHO’s and trans fats.

I took an intro nutrition class a while back, first day of class our professor shows us a video about how important RD’s are how much schooling they have to go through, what kind of “rigorous” tests they have to pass, what kinds of strenuous internships were required.

Some classes within their major are how food suppliers try to market their products, media influences, theraputic excercise techniques, how to measure blood pressure, etc. A few upper level social science classes.

Beyond the basic freshman year sciences(varies from school to school but for the most part) they take a watered down version of an organic chem class(1st semester only no lab)…and a watered down version of biochem (1 semester only)…don’t have to take calc…need one semester of stats and they take a very basic anatomy and physiology class.

They are not competing with other applicants to any type of programs once they are in their major “C’s get degrees”, all they have to worry about is passing classes and passing licensure test.

Technically yes they are “educated” but I don’t think you can consider them to be scientists. If you want to know what they will tell you if you see them just go to usda guidelines because that is what they are taught.

I wouldn’t say I hate rds. I would not seek consultation with one, respect what they do for society, or consider them to have gone through a strenuous educational program.

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:
I took an intro nutrition class a while back, first day of class our professor shows us a video about how important RD’s are how much schooling they have to go through, what kind of “rigorous” tests they have to pass, what kinds of strenuous internships were required.

Some classes within their major are how food suppliers try to market their products, media influences, theraputic excercise techniques, how to measure blood pressure, etc. A few upper level social science classes.

Beyond the basic freshman year sciences(varies from school to school but for the most part) they take a watered down version of an organic chem class(1st semester only no lab)…and a watered down version of biochem (1 semester only)…don’t have to take calc…need one semester of stats and they take a very basic anatomy and physiology class.

They are not competing with other applicants to any type of programs once they are in their major “C’s get degrees”, all they have to worry about is passing classes and passing licensure test.

Technically yes they are “educated” but I don’t think you can consider them to be scientists. If you want to know what they will tell you if you see them just go to usda guidelines because that is what they are taught.

I wouldn’t say I hate rds. I would not seek consultation with one, respect what they do for society, or consider them to have gone through a strenuous educational program.

[/quote]

Not defending RD’s to any degree, because most of the students in my program were indeed idiots that regurgitated their text books word for word and had no real world experience… but, organic chem does indeed require a lab, bio chem is required for two semesters, as well as a mirco biology course and it’s accompanying lab. Its true that “C’s get degrees”, but a degree in nutrition doesn’t make you a RD. You still have to get accepted into an internship, do well and pass a CDR exam. With C grades, you’re not making it into an internship. When I was still in school, a 3.6 couldn’t get ypu in. Just because you took an intro nutrition class a while back, doesn’t mean you know the deal. Like you stayed at a motel 6 or sumthing…

Selectivity of internship programs had not crossed my mind.

What options do nutrition majors have if they don’t get any internships?

You can become a “nutritionist” and make half as much money, but really anyone can get certified or label themselves a nutritionist. You can maybe go the food service and management route, but I’m not actually sure because I was never personally interested in going down that road.

apparently, the ADA recently changed their title as well. and are still trying to get it passed that only RDs can dispense nutritional info. Meaning, doctors, trainers, etc would no longer be able to dispense sound nutritional principles, if they are not an RD as well

Creamer? Like Coffee-Mate and shit?

Now usually I like my coffee like I like my women (brown and shipped in crates from 3rd world countries, obviously) but Coffee-Mate is just plain delicious.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
apparently, the ADA recently changed their title as well. and are still trying to get it passed that only RDs can dispense nutritional info. Meaning, doctors, trainers, etc would no longer be able to dispense sound nutritional principles, if they are not an RD as well[/quote]

…and why would that be a bad thing?

Trust me, if you heard the type of nutrition advice some doctors give their patients, you would be be blown away.

For instance, my dad is an overweight man who has a family history of colon cancer/disease. After finding a few benign polyps in his intestines, his doctor tells him to increase his consumption of snickers bars. The reason? Because they have peanuts, which have fiber that can decrease his risk of getting colon cancer.

As a registered dietitian, I was seriously stunned by the advice that was given to him and directed him to a more nutritionally sound diet.

But regarding your first post, can you go into more detail about what you said. It’s hard to form an opinion on a conversation when it is only one-sided.

Furthermore, don’t bash all RD’s just because you had a bad experience with one. There are many well known and nationally recognized individuals, both male and female who are licensed as RD’s, and to stereotype all the individuals in one profession in a manner in which you did was very unprofessional.

Serd

apparently, the ADA recently changed their title as well. and are still trying to get it passed that only RDs can dispense nutritional info. Meaning, doctors, trainers, etc would no longer be able to dispense sound nutritional principles, if they are not an RD as well[/quote]

If true, that’s among the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

[quote]Serd wrote:

Trust me, if you heard the type of nutrition advice some doctors give their patients, you would be be blown away.

Furthermore, don’t bash all RD’s just because you had a bad experience with one. There are many well known and nationally recognized individuals, both male and female who are licensed as RD’s, and to stereotype all the individuals in one profession in a manner in which you did was very unprofessional.

Serd [/quote]

Based on what I’m reading here, you’re suggesting that it would not be a bad thing if physicians were prohibited from dispensing nutritional advice, citing a single example of one doctor advising your father to eat snickers bars. You then ask that we don’t lump all RD’s together due to a single bad experience with one. Does not compute??

There are great RDs, and horrible RDs. The same goes for MDs, PTs, OTs, Chiros, NDs, DDS’, etc. One type of healthcare provider should not have sole rights to recommend a certain type of treatment or intervention when other healthcare providers have similar (or greater) expertise in the area.

I would trust the nutritional advice of my MD over any RD I’ve met. He’s exceptional in that he has an interest in human nutrition and has completed countless CME credits on the subject, but he’s not alone in the field.

A misconception exists that MDs are still learning shit about the food pyramid and “eat your 6-8 servings of grain per day”-type information. Look at the ciriculum for any MD program - in Canada anyway - and you’ll see this is not the case.

Understanding that the required internships to become an RD are very selective I have more respect for them.

Even more so than an engineer that graduated with a 2.0 GPA.

You have to be smart to get over a 3.5 GPA.

Serd- I think there are positives to the idea, but the negatives far outweigh it

[quote]Serd wrote:

Serd [/quote]

Note, I didn’t bash all. I had another run in not long ago when I gave a talk on Superfoods and invited an RD to talk as well about high BP. After I mentioned grass fed read meat as being good for us, in her talk she slid in her opinion that red meat can cause cancer.

As far as the convo it was on FB.

Here’s the gist.

Him: I use creamer…
Me: may want to ditch it and go with 1/2 and 1/2 since it doesn’t have trans-fats
Him: nothing wrong with creamer, and you can’t villify a food b/c of one ingredient. Creamer has less fat and calories
Me: sounds like you’re villifying 1/2 and 1/2 b/c of fat and calories which arent’ bad
Him: trans-fats are not as bad as they’ve been made out to be
Me: Ummm, no. They are inflammatory, increasing risk of disease and calorie for calorie cause weight gain compared to other fats
Him: Oils are bad and not good
Me: umm, coconut and olive oil are awesome
Him: I dunno, I’m no expert, just going by what my wife an RD and her education have said
Me: I question your wife’s education then
Me: not to diss your wife, but rather the educational system when it’s been shown that the studies on sat fat and chol were flawed, yet still spewed today
Him: let me ask you, do you believe in conspiracy theories like we didn’t land on the moon too
Me: I don’t think this is all conspiracy…

that’s the best I can recall for you

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:

[/quote]

You’re wrong on most of that - orgo and bio chem BOTH with a lab. And you can forget getting into an internship with a C average. A&P for a full year and it wasn’t a basic version. Lecture and a full anatomy lab as well. Also did have to take Alg/trig and Calc, plus stats.

But it is true that the average RD is NOT positioned with an eye towards sports performance - clinical dietetics is a completely different thing…