T Nation

More Random Questions on Training

Hey guys got a few more questions for the experienced lifters out there.

1) After a heavy lifting session, is it normal to feel slight aches and pains in the knees, shoulders, and hips? The pain is not serious but it is consistent.

2) At what weight should you start using a belt for squatting and deadlifting?

3) I've seen alot of numbers being thrown around regarding newby gains; I am wondering how long your newby gains lasted for.

[quote]funkhauser wrote:

1. After a heavy lifting session, is it normal to feel slight aches and pains in the knees, shoulders, and hips? The pain is not serious but it is consistent.
    [/quote]

It happens to me sometimes

doesn’t matter, I use it for anything above 90% of my 1 rep max. Unless you’re using a huge weight it is more of a way to add more weight to the bar then a safety device IMO.

depends on the person. If you’re eating and lifting right they will last longer then a person who eats shitty and doing an ok routine.

[quote]funkhauser wrote:

1. After a heavy lifting session, is it normal to feel slight aches and pains in the knees, shoulders, and hips? The pain is not serious but it is consistent.[/quote]

That does happen sometimes. As long as it doesn’t persist continuously throughout the day, I think you are fine.

I sometimes use belts if I don’t feel at least 90% when I workout, but the general rule I follow is, “Don’t use belts.”[quote]

1. I’ve seen alot of numbers being thrown around regarding newby gains; I am wondering how long your newby gains lasted for.[/quote]

It depends on what you are eating and how you are training. It is all different. Size is difficult to determine newbie gains with as is strength, IMO. Why? Because to many variations in variables that are not under the trainees control. Genetics, body structure…

[quote]funkhauser wrote:

1. After a heavy lifting session, is it normal to feel slight aches and pains in the knees, shoulders, and hips? The pain is not serious but it is consistent.

no pain in joints here, only soreness in muscles

1. At what weight should you start using a belt for squatting and deadlifting?

when you attempt 3 times your bodyweight

1. I’ve seen alot of numbers being thrown around regarding newby gains; I am wondering how long your newby gains lasted for.[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys.

I train at a crappy commercial gym where it is almost rare to see anything serious so I am left with these forums to learn from.

I like this, more motivation to keep a strict diet which I have to say is really lacking these days. It’s funny how you can start to justify crappy food so easily when you are hungry and lazy.