More Program Variation?

just started doing full body 3 times a week, currently doing bench, squat, standing military press, bentover row, chinups and deadlift each session. Should I continu this way, or use more variation of these lift ?

If you are progressing at an acceptable pace, no need to change it. You also could try an AB approach and get Dips, Shrugs, Deadlifts, Pull ups, Lateral raises, etc. in every other workout for a little more variet.

What do you mean by AB approach ? Could I replace dips with decline bench press ? I know dips are good but they hurt my right shoulder.

[quote]FatMom wrote:
What do you mean by AB approach [/quote]

One day you’ll do program A the next time you’ll do program B. This allows for more variation.

So, more variation is good.

[quote]FatMom wrote:
So, more variation is good.[/quote]

To a point yes but you need repetition as well to advance and not just get used to the exercises and change.

Is switching to dumbell bench press from barbell bench press enough for a variation ?

That is a type of variation…yes.

[quote]FatMom wrote:
Is switching to dumbell bench press from barbell bench press enough for a variation ?[/quote]

yes.

Heck changing grip or foot spacing is variation.

[quote]Phill wrote:
FatMom wrote:
Is switching to dumbell bench press from barbell bench press enough for a variation ?

yes.

Heck changing grip or foot spacing is variation.

[/quote]

Although, for the AVERAGE trainee, foot spacing isn’t going to play a big role in the bench press. (Just giving you a hard time Phill, please no discourse on powerlifting techniques).

I think variety is the key to success and stagnation the key to failure for all exercises. Stick with something for long enough to see results (could be anywhere from 3-6 weeks), and then change the parameters.

Use DB’s instead of a bar, use a fatbar instead of an olympic bar, change the angle of the bench (incline/flat/decline). Change your foot position for squats, deads etc, change the width of your grip, supinate or pronated the dumbells instead of a neutral grip.

Those are all easy ways to get a little variety. Then you can manipulate set/rep schemes, tempo, rest intervals, etc. Always go back to your core group of exercises, but don’t be afraid to venture out a little to keep the body adapting.