T Nation

More Police Brutality?

http://www.thegic.org/video/shocking-california-cops-open-fire-on-men-women-children-babies#ixzz21MWnmQOl

Yea, that’s a pretty fucked up. News story makes it seem like it was a bunch of people just hanging out and getting shot at by cops. I’m willing to bet something violent happened to kick it off.

If the fact is true that they started shooting after “stomper” ran away and nothing more, then this is oddly similar to the Trayvon Martin case. The news story also says the officers were “confronted” after they chased “stomper”. What does that mean? Most of the time confrontation with cops doesn’t end well, and I’m betting that a bunch of tough-guy-wannabes started instigating.

Because the news agencies thrive on drama, there is no justification, just mindless and random shooting. I don’t buy that for a second.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Yea, that’s a pretty fucked up. News story makes it seem like it was a bunch of people just hanging out and getting shot at by cops. I’m willing to bet something violent happened to kick it off.

If the fact is true that they started shooting after “stomper” ran away and nothing more, then this is oddly similar to the Trayvon Martin case. The news story also says the officers were “confronted” after they chased “stomper”. What does that mean? Most of the time confrontation with cops doesn’t end well, and I’m betting that a bunch of tough-guy-wannabes started instigating.

Because the news agencies thrive on drama, there is no justification, just mindless and random shooting. I don’t buy that for a second.[/quote]

What would you be willing to bet?

Not that “something” happened to set them off, but that that “something” was enough by any reasonable standards to go apeshit?

A number would be nice and a way to determine who won, after more information comes out.

Thats horrible. out of control. the dog being released with kids all around… thats reckless and dangerous. gross

@orion,

Make no mistake, I highly doubt that that “something” was sufficiently violent to warrant going apeshit. Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’m not defending their behavior as I would have defended the cops who shot the “pulled out my wallet after running away” guy.

My biggest point is: This news report is completely one-sided. Police brutality? Most likely. Absolute reckless shooting and violence on the part of the police? Probably not.

The article also makes clear that the crowd was protesting an unrelated police shooting. People were not out having a picnic; they were protesting. I find it uncharacteristically aggressive of cops to show up with shotguns and dogs for a demonstration that was entirely peaceful … especially in a cesspool like California where there are protests frequently. Yes, I’ve been to Annaheim multiple times.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
@orion,

Make no mistake, I highly doubt that that “something” was sufficiently violent to warrant going apeshit. Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’m not defending their behavior as I would have defended the cops who shot the “pulled out my wallet after running away” guy.

My biggest point is: This news report is completely one-sided. Police brutality? Most likely. Absolute reckless shooting and violence on the part of the police? Probably not.

The article also makes clear that the crowd was protesting an unrelated police shooting. People were not out having a picnic; they were protesting. I find it uncharacteristically aggressive of cops to show up with shotguns and dogs for a demonstration that was entirely peaceful … especially in a cesspool like California where there are protests frequently. Yes, I’ve been to Annaheim multiple times.[/quote]

You know what the toughest riot police I know of is?

The Bavarian riot police.

They dont fuck around, not even a little bit.

However, shooting at women with strollers?

Releasing dogs?

No?

And they get provoked plenty, there is just that pesky professionalism hurdle they manage to jump before taking action.

So I dont get the “I bet something happened” bit.

Yes, maybe a butterfly startled an officer, maybe some cop had a bad day, maybe someone was, oh dear Lord, throwing some rotten fruit or whatnot…

Um, there was a time where peace officer and occupying army where not interchangeable terms.

[quote]orion wrote:
Um, there was a time where peace officer and occupying army where not interchangeable terms.[/quote]

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
@orion,

Make no mistake, I highly doubt that that “something” was sufficiently violent to warrant going apeshit. Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’m not defending their behavior as I would have defended the cops who shot the “pulled out my wallet after running away” guy.

My biggest point is: This news report is completely one-sided. Police brutality? Most likely. Absolute reckless shooting and violence on the part of the police? Probably not.

The article also makes clear that the crowd was protesting an unrelated police shooting. People were not out having a picnic; they were protesting. I find it uncharacteristically aggressive of cops to show up with shotguns and dogs for a demonstration that was entirely peaceful … especially in a cesspool like California where there are protests frequently. Yes, I’ve been to Annaheim multiple times.[/quote]

Devildog, I don’t know how you could watch that video and not be completely angered by it. They were shooting rubber rounds in the direction of women and children, and they let loose a k9 unit near an infant.

I know sometimes situations can get out of control, but I’m having trouble making sense as to why k9 or rubber rounds are necessary when there are so many children around. They were already using non lethal force, but they were using it absolutely carelessly. Take a good look at that footage and tell me I’m wrong.

Not trying to get froggy, just saying what went down in Anaheim was some mo’ bullshit. Completely unprofessional, you would have thought the police had been assaulted and were reacting, but they were just being aggressive towards a bunch of kids and moms. That sort of thing is intolerable.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
@orion,

Make no mistake, I highly doubt that that “something” was sufficiently violent to warrant going apeshit. Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’m not defending their behavior as I would have defended the cops who shot the “pulled out my wallet after running away” guy.

My biggest point is: This news report is completely one-sided. Police brutality? Most likely. Absolute reckless shooting and violence on the part of the police? Probably not.

The article also makes clear that the crowd was protesting an unrelated police shooting. People were not out having a picnic; they were protesting. I find it uncharacteristically aggressive of cops to show up with shotguns and dogs for a demonstration that was entirely peaceful … especially in a cesspool like California where there are protests frequently. Yes, I’ve been to Annaheim multiple times.[/quote]

You know what the toughest riot police I know of is?

The Bavarian riot police.

They dont fuck around, not even a little bit.

However, shooting at women with strollers?

Releasing dogs?

No?

And they get provoked plenty, there is just that pesky professionalism hurdle they manage to jump before taking action.

So I dont get the “I bet something happened” bit.

Yes, maybe a butterfly startled an officer, maybe some cop had a bad day, maybe someone was, oh dear Lord, throwing some rotten fruit or whatnot…

Um, there was a time where peace officer and occupying army where not interchangeable terms.[/quote]

Well, they are Europeans. Everybody knows Europeans doing everything better than Americans.

I mean, you’ve told us that an infinite number of times over the years.

You shouldn’t be surprised at this behavior from a bunch of backward Americans.[/quote]

True that, but come on.

How much are you going to milk that?

@Sev and orion,

Make no mistake; I am not defending their actions. My point is that something spurred the event. Please re-read my posts.

It’s highly unlikely that their actions were warranted. It equally highly unlikely that they just decided to take a walk and shoot up the neighborhood.

Your comment: “They were just being aggressive towards kids and moms” is probably not true. This implies they were being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive. There were men involved too, one of which had a cool prison name like “stomper”. The article, of course, is not going to make much mention about how the officers were confronted. Maybe it was a “Hey, why are you guys armed to the teeth?” or maybe it was something more instigative.

The fact that you are taking this story as gospel baffles me. Everyone has video coverage of bullets flying and dogs running … but where is the part where the men are “confronting” the police? Wisely cropped. Or just not filmed at all.

There was already a violent attack against officers prior regarding the same incident. This happens and unfortunately “one bad apple spoils the bunch” practice comes into effect. People have to remember, everytime there is a major situation involving LEOs they announce that situation, tactics, practice and outcomes across almost all agencies. Protesting in this past year alone has ruined it now. LEOs have a bad taste in their mouth because people cannot protest correctly. I dont care how angry, or wronged or upset you are, when an officer tells you to leave while holding a shotgun and the intent/right to use it, and you DONT leave, the next few moments are all on you.

^Glad to see someone isn’t blinded by the story. Can you cite a source for your opening sentence? That would be great!

I cannot. I work with a lot of LEOs so I discussed the situation with them. I believe that is actually from a news article though, where I heard that. That post the shooting the officers were engaged or at the actual protest the officers were engaged.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.