More Media Bias (yawn)

This is pretty douchy, even for PBS (Even the NYT has more integrity not to alter transcripts):

PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

Barack Obama has gone to Congress asking for more money to spend. The President, in a rambling and tedious exercise mixing blame with demands, made quite a few dubious statements in laying out the case for Congress to vote for the plan which as yet does not exist. Much like Obamacare, Congress must ultimately vote for the bill to know what is in it.

At one point Mr. Obama made a major gaffe; he identified Abraham Lincoln as the founder of the Republican Party.

Lincoln did not join the Republicans until 1856, over two years after the party was founded. The first Republican convention was held in Ripon, Wisconsin in 1854.

Such a gaffe would have brought huge amounts of ridicule and derision on George W. Bush, but in the case of Obama the media yawned.

Actually, they did more than yawn; government-funded PBS has altered the transcript of the President’s speech, removing the offending comment.

The New York Times transcript has the following quote:

“We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future – a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad – (applause) – launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.”

But how does it appear in the PBS transcript?

“We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. But in the middle of a Civil War, he was also a leader who looked to the future - a Republican president who mobilized government to build the transcontinental railroad; launch the National Academy of Sciences; and set up the first land grant colleges. And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.”

No surprise here.

During the most recent debate Brian Williams from liberal NBC asked Rick Perry how he felt about the death penalty and if he sleeps well at night. I thought that if a conservative reporter had asked a democrat if they sleep well after supporting abortion how many people would have jumped on him. Yet, no one said a word about Williams outrageous question.

There is a double standard in the media. And as I’ve been saying this is going to make it very difficult for any republican to defeat Obama. The media will be out in full force to reelect the President.

14 months out, it’s my opinion that this election is the GOP’s to lose, “MSLM” or not.

Conservative voter’s will be out in record numbers; and any “swing” States that the President won in 2008 will most likely swing the GOP’s way.

I’m beginning to wonder if all these predictions by conservatives of Obama winning is just an exercise in “hedging bets”.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
14 months out, it’s my opinion that this election is the GOP’s to lose, “MSLM” or not.

Conservative voter’s will be out in record numbers; and any “swing” States that the President won in 2008 will most likely swing the GOP’s way.

I’m beginning to wonder if all these predictions by conservatives of Obama winning is just an exercise in “hedging bets”.

Mufasa[/quote]

But then again you thought McCain was going to win…Okay sorry but I had to mention it. :slight_smile:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

The GOP is playing this cool, VERY cool…

This is chess my friends. The GOP is basically sitting back and watching Obama fold, while they try to muster their base. I think they are making themselves look weak when they are strong (brilliant). Obama’s approval is snowballing downward, and the GOP can just sit back and watch the train wreck unfold. He is vulnerable, even without a decent GOP candidate, because I would be willing to bet that even if he gets reelected, he loses the Senate.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

But then again you thought McCain was going to win…Okay sorry but I had to mention it. :)[/quote]

Yes I did!

I thought that the GOP put on a helluva’ show at their convention (which was after the DEMS); and that Palin would put McCain “over-the-top”.

With that being said, I agree with Max; the “weakness when they really have strength” card is being played VERY well by the GOP.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa,

On one hand I agree with you. On the other, true ‘conservatives’ are not excited about Romney or Perry. Now “Republicans” are, but not conservatives. I don’t mean conservative as in “Religious Right” (whatever that is), but true conservatives.

Establishment Republicans and Democrats are more alike than most want to believe. They certainly say the things their base wants to hear, but proof is in action (ie. their votes). Look where we are today.

I’m jaded, I know, but if the media are indicating that Perry is a good choice, then that’s bad news for conservatives. McCain was a media darling when he was relevant.

Don’t underestimate the Republican Party’s ability to totally fuck themselves.

Good points, D.

What is coming out of the media now (including FOX, Limbaugh, et.al; not just the “MSLM”); is that Perry can easily win the GOP nomination; but that Romney would fair best against the President.

As I’ve said in another thread; the GOP Primary (IMO) will be the “deciding” factor in the Presidential Race.

Obama is Obama. Who RUNS against him is another matter entirely.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Obama is Obama. Who RUNS against him is another matter entirely.
[/quote]

True. Now, I’m seeing more an more indications in various new outlets that Dems are distancing themselves from Obama in their local matchups. I’m sure some of that is rat/sinking-ship while O’s numbers are down, but does that mean that O is vulnerable for a challenge within the party?

What are your thoughts on that?

Now matter how hard I try, I can’t put myself in the mindset of that party, but I know from personal conversations with dyed-in-the-wool-lifetime Dems/Libs/Labor that they have serious buyers remorse. The one constant they all say independently is “All talk no action. He blew it when he had House/Senate. Can’t blame R’s for that” (paraphrasing of course, but that’s the combined sentiment).

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/obamaspeech_09-08.html

Did anyone look at the PBS link?

Looks like it is there to me.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa,

On one hand I agree with you. On the other, true ‘conservatives’ are not excited about Romney or Perry. Now “Republicans” are, but not conservatives. I don’t mean conservative as in “Religious Right” (whatever that is), but true conservatives.

Establishment Republicans and Democrats are more alike than most want to believe. They certainly say the things their base wants to hear, but proof is in action (ie. their votes). Look where we are today.

I’m jaded, I know, but if the media are indicating that Perry is a good choice, then that’s bad news for conservatives. McCain was a media darling when he was relevant.

Don’t underestimate the Republican Party’s ability to totally fuck themselves.[/quote]

I do recall how the media built up McCain prior to him getting the nomination. Sort of like fattening the calf up for the slaughter. They new he would have no chance of beating either Hillary or Obama. It was some seriously brilliant work on the media’s part.

In the case of Perry I think the media is jumping on him hard and early. I find that interesting because I too believe that Romney would probably be a stronger candidate, especially with someone like Santorum as his VP. Maybe the the media knows something we don’t. Like Perry would be able to fire up the base. Then again, maybe they just can’t wait to tarnish Perry because of the obvious philosophical differences.

Funny, because as far as I remember Lincoln was a railroad lawyer who just happened to make a killing when the central hub of the transcontinental railroad just happened to be build right where he had bought a lot of land when he was president.

Is that the shining example Obama wants to emulate.

[quote]Christine wrote:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/obamaspeech_09-08.html

Did anyone look at the PBS link?

Looks like it is there to me.[/quote]

Christine,

It’s been updated and noted:

EDITOR’S NOTE: The original transcript provided on this page, as was noted, reflected the president’s remarks as prepared for delivery and released by the White House. This transcript has been updated to reflect the remarks as delivered and released by the White House.

It wasn’t there originally (this AM when I checked). My source link has a screenshot of the text with the omission, and the comments after the transcript on PBS reflect it as well.

Easy to change on a webpage.

It was poor form at best. They got caught.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa,

Don’t underestimate the Republican Party’s ability to totally fuck themselves.[/quote]

I do recall how the media built up McCain prior to him getting the nomination. Sort of like fattening the calf up for the slaughter. They new he would have no chance of beating either Hillary or Obama. It was some seriously brilliant work on the media’s part.

In the case of Perry I think the media is jumping on him hard and early. I find that interesting because I too believe that Romney would probably be a stronger candidate, especially with someone like Santorum as his VP. Maybe the the media knows something we don’t. Like Perry would be able to fire up the base. Then again, maybe they just can’t wait to tarnish Perry because of the obvious philosophical differences.[/quote]

Zeb- For years before McCain was a candidate, the year leading up to his lost candidacy against GWB for example, he was a regular pundit on several political news shows. He had the ‘maverick’ label way before his run against Obama. The media built him up as ‘one of those tolerable Republicans’. He comes from the same cloth as Snowe, Collins, etc.

It is common for the text of speeches to be delivered to the media and then the media has to edit afterwards for actual delivery content.

Which is what they did.

Didn’t read the comments, but this is hardly the worst gaffe Obama (or PBS or any other news outlet) has made.

http://www.gop.com/index.php/issues/heroes/abraham_lincoln-1/

According to the GOP website Lincoln “…helped establish the Republican Party…”

founder - one who founds or establishes

I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It’s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. - Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. - Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. - James Pierson on National Review

George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican - he’s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn’t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn’t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. - Jerry Bowyer, National Review

It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. - President Herbert Hoover (R)

It was - it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. - Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech