More Meat, More Power

Bench Day:

Bench Press: 4x2, 1x5 @ 265, a bit of a step back here shoulder was acting up which is surprising since I felt so good last session. Could be my desk setup at work that is aggravating it.
Floor Press: 1x15 @ 150, 1x12 @ 155
Lateral Raise: 2x10 @ 20
Rear Lateral: 2x12 @ 25

Squats from last night:

Squat: 4x2, 1x4, was feeling good till the fourth rep got a bit wild. Was lifting in a different gym with rubber bumper plates and a flexy Barbell so that made things different.
Front squat: 1x10 @ 185, 2x10 @ 190
Barbell Row: 1x12 @ 240, 1 x 12 @ 255
Kroc Row: 1x20 right, 1x25
Face pulls: 1x20 @ 105, 1x20 @ 120
Hamstring curls: 2x15 @ 25

First day back training in just over two weeks, the last day I logged in was 3 weeks ago but I trained once after that a couple days later, just forgot to log it. I actually feel great. I think it just reinforces how much I need to focus on treating myself better, so as not to get so run down all the time.

I just got so sick of the gym I was training at I bit the bullet and used my Xmas bonus to invest in a home gym. Bought a rack, some rubber mats and about 550 lbs of weight to go along wit the Texas Power Bar I already have. Slowly going to add to my collection over time. Had a bit of buyers remorse, but after training in it the first time today, I have zero regrets. No shitty flourescent lights, distracting mirrors, trash music, mediocre barbells and constantly dodging other people in a cramped space. I can’t remember the last time a training session went so smooth, and I felt so focused. I don’t exaggerate when I say this has been a LONG time dream of mine. Some people dream of being millionaires, all I have ever wanted was to have my own squat rack to train when I want, how I want with zero bullshit. Maybe I need to aim a bit higher with my life aspirations, but so far I am satisfied. I am very excited with my investment.

I started a brand new training cycle as I needed to adjust my programming to account for the new training environment.

Bench Day:

Bench Press: 4x2, 1x9 @ 265, probably could have gotten more on my AMRAP, but I haven’t totally figured out optimal safety bar placement on the new rack yet. Best at 265 is 10 and I am pretty sure I coulda hit at least that. Fatigue is likely very low from taking 3 weeks off, but my shoulder is still not 100%. Just work with what I got.
1" Pause Bench (3 sec hold): 1x15, 1x12, I think I started these a bit too heavy, will drop them down accordingly next week.
OH Press: 2x12 @ 65
Plate Later Raise: 2x10 @ 10

Finished up with some band work/physio.

Squat day from last Thursday:

Squat: 4x2, 1x6 @ 430, tough first day back in a few weeks. Hope next one goes better.
Band Pull Thru: 5x10 @ red mini-band
Barbell Row: 2x12 @ 245
Barbell Shrug: 2x15 @ 245

Good day, enjoyed squatting in my new basement setup. Band pull throughs were much more fatiguing then I assumed they would be.

Secondary pressing day today:

Speed bench: 5x3 @ 150 + 2 red mini-bands (50lbs tension at top), first time ever doing any kind of speed work. I was excited to give it a try, since my rack has band bars. Watched some Matt Wenning stuff to learn setup. It was a lot of fun. I am very interested to see how this affects my bench. I thought my shoulder would hate these, but it didn’t. We will see how it feels tomorow.
Lying Barbell Tri. Extension: 2x12 @ 65
One Arm Band Pressdowns: 2x25 over and underhand each arm with black tube band
Band Pull Aparts: 3x30 with red mini-band

Good session. Felt refreshed after. New program is a lot more pared down since I am in my basement now, but I think its a good thing. Keep it simple stupid.

Deadlifting from last Thursday:

Deadlift: 5x3 @ 410
Rack Pull: 3x3 @ 410
Band Pull Throughs: 5x10 with red band
Pullups: 10,7,5,4,5 with Blue band assist, gonna play with band tension to try hit 10 reps all sets.
Barbell Curls: 2x12 with just the bar.

One of the great things about having a basement gym is you can train in a singlet with no funny looks! Deadlifting is easier without a bunch of clothes binding up at my hip crease. Setup is easier.

Shoulder ended up not responding well to Speed Bench. I have decided to adjust my pressing movements completely to accommodate my shoulder recovery. No more powering through,its just not working.

Bench from last Tuesday:

Reverse Band Bench: 5x5 @ 245 with appox. 205lbs band tension at my chest. This was kind of a fun day. Never did this before but I am trying out stuff that will allow me to bench while my shoulder heals.
Overhead Press: 2x15 @ 65
Lateral Raise: 2x10 @ 10
Rear Laterals: 2x12 @ 10

I went way to heavy on the bench even though it felt good. I refered to an Article Swede Burns wrote about him rehabbing his torn pec with a Congugate 5thSet Mashup. Was very interesting. Not gonna run the program, but I will borrow the rehab part. Going to try Reverse band bench with very light weight set to, full tension at my chest. Go for 2-4 sets of 25 reps and see how that feels. Replacing all bench work with that. Hope I can get my shoulder healed up into for a meet in April.

Squat today:

Squat: 4x2 @ 44, 435 x 6
Band Pull Throughs: 5x10 with red band
Barbell Row: 1x12 @ 245, 1x12 @ 250
Barbell Shrugs: 1x15 @ 245, 1x12 @ 250, grip gave out
Barbell Calf Raises: 2x25 @ 60

Squatting today was very hard. Probably because I keep skipping days and get out of the grove. I also realized today that my belt is too small. Luckily I have a bigger one sitting around that I ordered by accident. Everything came together on the last set luckily. I just gotta remember to brace before getting under the bar, and to be patient on my setup. Haste makes waste.