More Meals = Faster Metabolism?

Interestingly, a book I’ve been reading on eating disorders suggest a short ten minute walk after meals to aid in experiencing satiation. That stood out to me as the idea is a staple of the vertical diet.

Truth! What we do becomes habits. And the human body is excellent at getting better at whatever we do with it. Sit all day? The body will adapt to that too. Poor posture isn’t necessarily poor, it’s just situationally adapted to a seated life.

1 Like

PCOS usually goes hand in hand with higher insulin leveles (hyperinsulinemia) (and even testosterone levels). I bet that your girlfriend is rather “bulky” and strong and its not difficult for her to put on muscle. Thats due to the higher insunin levels.

Given that, I believe that a nutrition plan that keeps insuline levels low is appropriate for her case. I would go on a low carb/keto style of diet and I would even experiment with intermittent fasting since it might help improving insulin sesitivity. (There are controversial studies about fasting and insulin though, that’s why I would “experiment”)

As far as I know there is no solid evidence that higher meal frequency keeps metabolism high and I believe that the most important factor of a diet plan is to be viable in order to be able to stay consistent. So according the frequency of the meals I would go whichever way fits her lifestyle better and is easier for her to follow.

Winstrol?

Little update. We’ve been doing meal prep services. Meals for 4/5 days a week. They are made local and actually delicious. She’s been doing a little spin bike and down around 8 pounds. She’s be down more if not for the weekends. Granted, it’s been a hectic month for eating clean on the weekends, we’ve had birthday parties and families In town wanting to go out and check out the breweries and food spots, so 8 is still a win. I think as we get the weekends under control she will see more.

6 Likes

Celebrate the 8, man!

I think we all have this tendency, to want to be perfect, but if this is just a hobby and it’s a big behavior change, that’s probably not realistic.

As an example, if I really like cheeseburgers and beer (obviously hypothetical and any resemblance to an actual person typing this post is purely coincidental), I have two choices:

• I can be hugely disappointed in myself for having two nights of the aforementioned nectar of the gods
  • I can congratulate myself for having 5 nights when I did what I was supposed to

I believe choice two makes long-term compliance more likely for most (it’s actually not how I typically think for myself, but I still think it’s better)

Anyway, sounds like that’s pretty much what you’re already doing, I just felt the need to ramble so I could say it was my idea and take credit for her continued success

4 Likes

This, huh? I weighed in this morning .4 pounds down from yesterday. I may see my first non-gain weekend since the T-ransformation started, and I’m actually SERIOUS about this diet. But weekends are drinks and celebrations and food out and all the things that make life so pleasurable and diets so difficult.

I agree, though, that 8 pounds is fantastic. I’m pleased with my 5.4.

4 Likes

8 Pounds is awesome! I hope she keeps building good habits.
I wanted to chime in. I realize everything I am about to say is anecdotal. PCOS runs in my family, and what a couple of people have said above is on the right track. I have had an easier time putting on muscle than some women.
You don’t want to change too much, too soon with your girlfriend. However, if she were to lift weights it would likely help her tremendously. I lift heavy now 3 days per week and have the best body composition/look I have had… Ever. The muscle she will gain will speed up her metabolism. Allowing her to maintain on a resonable amount of food. She may even see faster results in the mirror than the spin bike will account for, that is always motivating!

Yea it is!

I’ve tried to get her to lift weights. I’ve explained that not only will it help with PCOS but the more muscle she has the higher her maintenance calories are meaning should can eat more. She’s not interested. She hates the gym and any other physical activity which sucks. I really enjoy being outside and working out and hiking and mountain biking and stuff, her, not so much lol. But that could change!

@wanna_be I’m not a doctor, but I do find it important to understand the female reproductive system as much as possible.

You’re more than welcome to hop into my log and we can trouble shoot, or you can hop over into the Periods, Menstruation, and Hormones thread over in the powerful women forum.

2 Likes

I do not understand why societies worldwide make basic biologic functions taboo

This is a topic that literally (slightly more than) 1/2 the population deals with. WTF.

@wanna_be this is not directed at you in any way. I’m just ranting

1 Like

Thank you for the offer!! It’s super complex :joy: the best thing I’ve learned so far is to step back and just be a cheerleader no matter what. Also realizing we are two totally different people when it comes to how to approach something like this, and to be ok with that.

What y’all (women) have to deal with is wild.

3 Likes

My wife has told me under no circumstance will she go mountain biking with me. I guess the times I have come home with huge patches of missing skin have turned her off of the idea.

She likes lifting though. I think it is important to start small (you know this I am sure). I just had my wife (GF at the time) start with a few squats and then do whatever she wants. I still don’t push her to do stuff. I want her to like the process (she is now pretty into it, and squats about 225, benches about 140, and deadlifts about 275). Building the habit is the biggest thing IMO for a beginner. If she just wants to do spin bike, that is fine. If you push for more, she may give stop doing even the spin bike.

Start small, and try to be consistent. Once you get there, you could try to build on it, but tread carefully. Perhaps a hike as an activity. Perhaps a bike ride. Perhaps rent a canoe (be careful with this one, I think I may have ruined canoeing due to pushing for too far of distances and getting lost). Keep it fun. Doesn’t sound like she is ready to do 5x5 at 85% on squats yet.

1 Like

Apparently the endometrium is considered an organ so most women between 15-45 are literally growing and losing an organ every month or so

1 Like

Ha. We call it the blue devil. She doesn’t ride it much. Also says she hates any type of squats. I’ve got some medicine balls and battle ropes in my gym Arsenal I’ve tried to get her to try but she’s not interested. She doesn’t believe exercise is needed to lose weight, and it’s not. But right now these extremely low calorie tasty meals is our only saving grace lol. She knows that having more muscle mass will help her goals, but we haven’t reached that point yet.

Deadlifting might intrigue her though, picking up lots of weight might make her feel cool :man_shrugging:

If you show her this she will most certainly want to deadlift.

This guy actually died from a deadlifting session later on (don’t mention that part).

Damn! Off to google that

It should be how all of us want to go. Except I am currently older than him, so hopefully I’ll be an old dude deadlifting and die. That or during sex.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here…

1 Like

My wife has the same issue. Her OB prescribed Metformin. Metformin is a diabetes medication but can also help with some of the other symptoms that come along with PCOS. She started on 500mg a day and it didnt really do anything, once she went to 1000mg a day, thats when she started dropping weight without trying. She should really speak with her OBGYN about it if she has tried dieting and excersise with no success.

We tried the over the counter version of metformin, name is escaping me and it tore her stomach up 24/7. Wonder if metformin would do the same