More Global Warming Crap!

[quote]derek wrote:
…One of the most perverse things about U.S. consumers buying hybrids is that while this might reduce air pollution in their own cities, they increase pollution ? and energy consumption – in Japan and other Asian countries where these cars are predominantly manufactured. “In effect, they are exporting pollution and energy consumption,” Spinella says.

[/quote]

I don’t know that I believe all the numbers but there is a bit of truth in there. Hybrids do have a higher energy cost to manufacture and dispose of compared to a comparable sized car.

Their MPG has proven lower than advertised. I recently saw a report on TV that they had to revamp all their numbers but I don’t know how far off they were.

I like the concept of recovering the wasted energy in driving but the implementation has been poor.

It is looking more and more like it is a feel good scam that will need to be propped up by government regs as it likely will not stand on its own.

[quote]derek wrote:
http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml

An exerpt from the link…

But the biggest reason why a Hummer’s energy use is so low is that it shares many components with other vehicles and therefore its design and development energy costs are spread across many cars.

It is not possible to do this with a specialty product like hybrid. All in all, Spinella insists, the energy costs of disposing a Hummer are 60 percent less than an average hybrid’s and its design and development costs are 80 percent less.

One of the most perverse things about U.S. consumers buying hybrids is that while this might reduce air pollution in their own cities, they increase pollution ? and energy consumption – in Japan and other Asian countries where these cars are predominantly manufactured. “In effect, they are exporting pollution and energy consumption,” Spinella says.[/quote]

Good argument.

However, if more people bought Priuses, it wouldn’t hold anymore. I don’t think hybrids have been on the market for nearly enough time to make them opportunity-cost effective yet, but that shouldn’t take long if the current trend continues.

remember this: Global warming is a scare tactic used by those who preach it’s filth to frighten people who don’t know any better, to empower themselves and gain even more wealth. We have to remember what is a scientific fact, as long as can be recorded the earth has gone through cycles of freezing and warming, twenty years ago they were teaching the public school system that the earth was headed for another ice age and now it’s getting to hot! (Global Warming) C’mon people lets make up our minds are we going to freeze or roast! Personally I like the warm weather!!!