T Nation

More Effective Than a SWAT Team

NYC Mayor Bloomberg recently suggested that cops go on strike until gun laws become stricter:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/bloomberg-gun-control-police-strike_n_1697708.html

My question is this: Wouldn’t this be a great thing if cops went on strike? After all, we see the video above as proof that a singly armed grandpa can take on two armed thugs without aid of the SWAT team.

What do cops even do to keep us safe?

NO, no, no having armed citizens can NEVER EVER prevent the bad guys from harming innocent people. I know this to be true because the flat headed liberals on this board said so!

What would you guys think about having a training program for citizens, should they ever find themselves in a situation like that?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What would you guys think about having a training program for citizens, should they ever find themselves in a situation like that? [/quote]

As long as it’s voluntary I like it.

Definitely voluntary.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
NO, no, no having armed citizens can NEVER EVER prevent the bad guys from harming innocent people. I know this to be true because the flat headed liberals on this board said so![/quote]

I don’t think anyone has said that on this board. Have a link to a thread/quote to prove me wrong?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What would you guys think about having a training program for citizens, should they ever find themselves in a situation like that? [/quote]

They already exist.

Google “firearms training”.

The thing is our government is in complete control of our safety and could in one fell swoop restore it to us by simply dissolving all gun control laws.

Committing a crime becomes too cost prohibitive to the average criminal in this case because he knows he will need not only his own arms but possibly a bigger gang of thugs to help out and thus dilute his take.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The thing is our government is in complete control of our safety and could in one fell swoop restore it to us by simply dissolving all gun control laws.

Committing a crime becomes too cost prohibitive to the average criminal in this case because he knows he will need not only his own arms but possibly a bigger gang of thugs to help out and thus dilute his take.[/quote]

This is 100% true. As most of you know, I was convicted of armed robbery 20+ years ago and served my time for it, but had there been the probability that someone in or around the businesses I chose to rob would be carrying then there’s NO FUCKING WAY I would have considered it!

Had there been a few people carrying in that movie theater in Colorado I’ll bet only a FRACTION of the people would have been shot by that asshole.

The Swiss have the right idea: EVERY man between the age of 18 and 42 is required by law to own and maintain proficiency in a rifle. Guess what THEIR crime rate is?

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/articles/guns-crime-swiss.html

Of course, about 50% of our country now consists of whining, left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals so only about HALF of us would be armed. Guess who the bad guys would go after? LMAO

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Of course, about 50% of our country now consists of whining, left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals so only about HALF of us would be armed. Guess who the bad guys would go after? LMAO[/quote]

So, you’re saying it would help in multiple ways.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Of course, about 50% of our country now consists of whining, left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals so only about HALF of us would be armed. Guess who the bad guys would go after? LMAO[/quote]

So, you’re saying it would help in multiple ways.[/quote]

I like the way you think!

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The thing is our government is in complete control of our safety and could in one fell swoop restore it to us by simply dissolving all gun control laws.

Committing a crime becomes too cost prohibitive to the average criminal in this case because he knows he will need not only his own arms but possibly a bigger gang of thugs to help out and thus dilute his take.[/quote]

This is 100% true. As most of you know, I was convicted of armed robbery 20+ years ago and served my time for it, but had there been the probability that someone in or around the businesses I chose to rob would be carrying then there’s NO FUCKING WAY I would have considered it!

Had there been a few people carrying in that movie theater in Colorado I’ll bet only a FRACTION of the people would have been shot by that asshole.

The Swiss have the right idea: EVERY man between the age of 18 and 42 is required by law to own and maintain proficiency in a rifle. Guess what THEIR crime rate is?

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/articles/guns-crime-swiss.html[/quote]

you and your facts.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
What would you guys think about having a training program for citizens, should they ever find themselves in a situation like that? [/quote]

It’s called a CCW course.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The thing is our government is in complete control of our safety and could in one fell swoop restore it to us by simply dissolving all gun control laws.

Committing a crime becomes too cost prohibitive to the average criminal in this case because he knows he will need not only his own arms but possibly a bigger gang of thugs to help out and thus dilute his take.[/quote]

This is 100% true. As most of you know, I was convicted of armed robbery 20+ years ago and served my time for it, but had there been the probability that someone in or around the businesses I chose to rob would be carrying then there’s NO FUCKING WAY I would have considered it!

Had there been a few people carrying in that movie theater in Colorado I’ll bet only a FRACTION of the people would have been shot by that asshole.

The Swiss have the right idea: EVERY man between the age of 18 and 42 is required by law to own and maintain proficiency in a rifle. Guess what THEIR crime rate is?

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/articles/guns-crime-swiss.html[/quote]

you and your facts. [/quote]

Who are you again?

I write a lot but I don’t think I EVER offer anything I write as “fact”. This is a FORUM on the internet. I write my OPINION based on my EXPERIENCE. Other people have their own experience. Feel free to offer YOUR opinion and any links you care to provide to support YOUR argument.

There are some posters on here who I agree with wholeheartedly on some topics, but vehemently disagree with on others. I attempt to approach each thread with an open mind. I don’t trash people when I disagree with them. I stick to my guns OR, if their argument is persuasive, I may re-examine my opinion and concede to their logic. That’s how mature people have discourse in PWI. I would invite you to try it out sometime.

But your weak little passive-aggressive snippets contribute nothing to the discussion at hand and only serve make you look like a weak little girl with sand in your vagina. I don’t remember you in particular, but we’ve obviously disagreed in the past on one topic or another and you took it personally or you’ve assigned some kind of judgement about me. Get over it.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Of course, about 50% of our country now consists of whining, left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals so only about HALF of us would be armed. Guess who the bad guys would go after? LMAO[/quote]

I do not think the average Dem. buys it either

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Of course, about 50% of our country now consists of whining, left-wing, tree-hugging, liberals so only about HALF of us would be armed. Guess who the bad guys would go after? LMAO[/quote]

I do not think the average Dem. buys it either[/quote]

Well the average liberal Dem is a fucking idiot.

You don’t think that a person would think twice about committing a crime if he thought someone might be ARMED and ON HAND to stop it?

People that commit violent crime are NOT trained soldiers, they are opportunists. They find a weakness and exploit it. How many Armored Cars to you see getting robbed (besides in the movies)? Why? Because they’re ARMED.

I spent roughly three years associating with drug dealers, armed robbers, thieves and even a few murderers. Methodologies WERE discussed, I assure you - I got away with that lifestyle for over two years. After I got busted, I spent four years in prison (as in the MD Penitentiary, not the county jail) with even more hardened career criminals. I got stabbed five fucking times. There I was also was exposed to EXPONENTIALLY more methodologies for scams, robberies, burglaries, getting away with murder, etc… It was essentially crime school.

The common denominator in discussions with criminals on the outside and the inside was to GET AWAY WITH IT CLEANLY. Not to have to shoot someone (necessitating a murder investigation), not to risk getting shot, not to risk getting busted, caught or snitched out. Ipso facto, you DON’T target people or places that are know to be (or have a high probability of being) ARMED. Now that’s NOT a very hard concept to wrap your head around. And of course, it doesn’t touch on the the idiots out there who are cracked out or otherwise desperate and are stupid enough to rob the store next to the police station at shift change.

Now out of all of the posters here at PWI, I am the ONLY ONE (that I know of) who has been convicted of a felony and served some serious time. It was 20 years ago and I’ve since turned my life completely around and made a decent contribution to MY community. And I’m sure there are a few judgmental folks out there who just see me as a piece of shit felon and feel that I should still be in prison. But I feel that the majority of you respect my opinion and at the very least don’t think I’m some troll.

Regardless of you personal opinion of me, I don’t think you can LOGICALLY argue that I’m not uniquely qualified to offer a FIRST HAND opinion on matters involving crime and punishment. I don’t have an ax to grind, nor do I have ANY personal motivation or agenda to promote the 2nd Amendment - I’m a FELON, I can’t legally OWN a firearm! I’m also 20 years older than I was when I was running the streets, been married, started businesses, had kids so my perspective has changed drastically over that time. I’m a non-religious conservative libertarian: I want less government interfering in my life, I don’t care what two consenting adults decide do in their own home, and if you want to worship the purple spaghetti god it’s fine by me as long as it stays out of politics and doesn’t infringe on my, or anyone else’s rights to believe as we wish.

I’m not some right or left wing nut job and I’m not the dumbest person out there either. Granted, I’m not the most “formally educated”, but I’ve read the Great Books and then some and have taken pains to educate myself on the topics that interest me - namely, the human mind, history, economics, business, industrial electronics, nautical, “survival” and social dynamics/sex. When I offer an opinion is with my Country, my Family and keeping future generations in mind.

So when I talk about an issue or make an argument about a topic that I have DIRECT EXPERIENCE in, it MAY behoove one not to simply dismiss it outright.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The thing is our government is in complete control of our safety and could in one fell swoop restore it to us by simply dissolving all gun control laws.

Committing a crime becomes too cost prohibitive to the average criminal in this case because he knows he will need not only his own arms but possibly a bigger gang of thugs to help out and thus dilute his take.[/quote]

This is 100% true. As most of you know, I was convicted of armed robbery 20+ years ago and served my time for it, but had there been the probability that someone in or around the businesses I chose to rob would be carrying then there’s NO FUCKING WAY I would have considered it!

Had there been a few people carrying in that movie theater in Colorado I’ll bet only a FRACTION of the people would have been shot by that asshole.

The Swiss have the right idea: EVERY man between the age of 18 and 42 is required by law to own and maintain proficiency in a rifle. Guess what THEIR crime rate is?

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/articles/guns-crime-swiss.html[/quote]

you and your facts. [/quote]

Who are you again?

I write a lot but I don’t think I EVER offer anything I write as “fact”. This is a FORUM on the internet. I write my OPINION based on my EXPERIENCE. Other people have their own experience. Feel free to offer YOUR opinion and any links you care to provide to support YOUR argument.

There are some posters on here who I agree with wholeheartedly on some topics, but vehemently disagree with on others. I attempt to approach each thread with an open mind. I don’t trash people when I disagree with them. I stick to my guns OR, if their argument is persuasive, I may re-examine my opinion and concede to their logic. That’s how mature people have discourse in PWI. I would invite you to try it out sometime.

But your weak little passive-aggressive snippets contribute nothing to the discussion at hand and only serve make you look like a weak little girl with sand in your vagina. I don’t remember you in particular, but we’ve obviously disagreed in the past on one topic or another and you took it personally or you’ve assigned some kind of judgement about me. Get over it.

[/quote]

Yo, AC, I think your antenna is a bit rusty from all that time on the sea, my friend. :wink:

I think he’s agreeing with you in a “It’s so obvious, isn’t it? How do they deny this?” sort of way.

Apologies if I’m off…[/quote]

If my antenna is rusty, than apologies to SF for being a fucking asshole. At any rate, I won’t be back on for a while - I go offshore again tomorrow morning. It’s time for bed, so have a wonderful week, my T-Nation peeps!