More Dangerous: Not Bracing or Not Keeping a Neutral Spine?

It seems that my conv can only get a straight back from time to time and not consistently,so i think ill just use semi sumo as a replacment on days when i cant maintain a straight back on conventionals. Any other technique flaw that u might notice here please feel free to tell me.

You sound like you would benefit from some mobility work.

The weight there is too light to see anything, but you look way too bent over when you set up for sumo. Look up the “tactical frog” stretch, do that a couple times a week (in addition to other stuff) and it should help you to open your hips wider. A wider stance isn’t always the best for everyone, but in many cases it is.

1 Like

Sorry to bump this after millions of years but I feel I have special insight in this exact situation LOL

If I brace with a flat back my lower back hurts and gets progressively worse but if I just let it round a bit my back is fine.

Also totally normal to get to a certain percentage of 1RM and have your form break down and/or back rounding. this percentage is different for everybody.

To directly answer the question I think that maintaining a neutral spine is person dependent and not nearly as important as the Facebook Federation thinks.

2 Likes