More Dangerous: Not Bracing or Not Keeping a Neutral Spine?

Bro just do strongman and learn to hitch

Rounding your upper back is fine, lower back not so much. Bracing > Neutral Spine tho.

Yup def. Started doing it from this week.

1 Like

Did 315 for 3 sets of 12,10,8 today while being careful to maintain good and strong form. Heres the vid let me know what you all think

It’s not the best camera angle, right from the side would be better, and not from so low to the ground. It looks like there might be some slight rounding going on, you can see that your back position changes slightly from when you set up to when you break the floor but it’s definitely an improvement. Working on bracing would help with that.

The other issue that I notice is that your knees aren’t fully locked at the top, you could get red lights in a meet for that. Squeeze your glutes at lockout and just stand up straight rather than leaning back, and of course focus on locking your knees.

If you have issues with your technique then doing so many reps is probably not a good idea. 5x5 or 8 sets of 3 or something along those lines would probably work better, then do RDLs or SLDLs for some hypertrophy work. Those two exercises would also help you to work on the hip hinge movement pattern which you seem to have an issue with. And you could do the RDLs with a band around your waist as I mentioned before, I think that would help with your lockout as well.

3 Likes

What does your squat and deadlift training look like at the moment? How many days per week? Exercise selection? Volume?

The second and third set are right from the side,just watch the vid till the first set ends.

Idk how to fix this since i do lockout my knees fully and i actually was consciosly trying to do it even more in this workout. Idk why it looks like theyre not.

2x a week for both. Squat bench,deads close grip bench,high bar and dead press,pause deads and ohp. Doing high reps on comp lifts cuz high reps are a big weakpoint of mine on comp lifts. High bar is high reps too. Pause deads are lower sets of triples or 5s.

I see them, the plates still block the view of your hips and lower back about halfway up and the lights make it difficult to see clearly. If you are rounding it isn’t severe, but recording directly from the side would be better.

Sorry to tell you but if it looks like they aren’t locked then they are not. I’m not trying to be an asshole, it’s just that if I was a judge in a PL meet and your deadlift looked like that I would give you red lights for a soft lockout. You just need to find the right position at the top and you will be fine, plus squeeze your glutes.

Training is just a means to an end, which is a bigger 1rm. There is no necessity to get good at high reps and if your technique isn’t too great then it’s probably a bad idea. I started doing most of my deadlift volume as singles and my deadlift is better than ever, high reps made my technique sloppy despite helping me to get stronger. If technique is a weakness then you need to train with weights and reps that allow you to maintain proper technique. Higher reps will require lighter weight for you to do that.

1 Like

Not to be a hardass,but not even the ones on the first set? I feel like at least those look fully locked out.

What about mass building? Im at a hypertrophy phase now and was recommanded by Ben Pollack to do high rep comp lifts since i may be missing out on a lot of gainz in comp lift specific muscles.

I agree with Chris about the hinge pattern/knees/glutes stuff.

Start pushing your hips forward as the bar passes your knees on the way up. This way everything locks out at once. If you wait till the bar is halfway up your thighs to push with the glutes you end up with that over extended, too far leaned back, knees unlocked position at the top.

RDLs and Stiff legs, like Chris mentioned, are good to practice driving the hips/glutes when the bar get to your knees

I just watched it again, the first set actually looks OK from what I see but the reps in the middle of the 2nd are not good, the 3rd looks like mostly soft knees. This is not your biggest issue at the moment, but don’t let it become one either. Just get in the habit of locking out every rep fully so that nobody tells you this again.

You can still build mass with low reps, you just need to do more sets. So rather than 3 sets of 8 you would do 8 sets of 3 and keep rest periods short, like 1-2 minutes max. It probably isn’t optimal for hypertrophy (although it will still work) but it’s way better for technique and the deadlift isn’t great for hypertrophy anyway. SLDLs and RDLs are better for that, and pause deadlifts are probably the last thing I would recommend for trying to add mass. Your size is limiting you but so is your technique, so you need to strike a balance between the two right now.

What you need is to do some volume with proper form and then do assistance lifts for high reps to build mass. 45 degree back raises are good too, they will help your deadlift and you can do them with a bar in your hands.

1 Like

Lol i know it sounds stupid but thats exactly what i was trying to do throughout this workout. My glutes are actually quite fatigued right now. But anyways since it seems like it doesnt appear i do it enough,then i will continue to try to do it even harder and better.

1 Like

That sounds like a great plan. Will def do,thanks.

Keep at it! Its already improving.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea for you, since you need to work on technique and build mass. First deadlift day, work up to a challenging triple, something that takes a lot of effort to pull with good form but doesn’t look like shit. Not a PR attempt, just something moderately heavy, maybe 80% of your max, maybe less. Then do 5x5 with short breaks, not so short that you get tired and form goes to shit but 2 minutes or less, maybe start with a little over 315 since you can handle that decently.

Second deadlift day, something like 10 singles with 1 minute rest, you could use the same weight as the 5x5. After that, do your hypertrophy work - I would recommend either RDLs, SLDLs, or 45 degree back raises, strict form, 10-12 reps.

1 Like

Dimmel deadlifts really helped me with bringing my glutes into the lockout.

Just do a couple of sets during your ramp up or as you’re stripping weight off the bar after youre done.

You really need to focus on the hinge and bringing your hips forward explosively, otherwise these aren’t that useful. You should probably find a cue for your knees as well. Don’t pick too challenging a weight, move explosively.

You’re going to need to accept that you are going to look like an asshat doing these, if you go ahead with it.

1 Like

Hey guys,just checking in,my lower back has been hurting lately after i started to do the straight back deads. I considered the possibility of placeboo,bad sleeping position or other things but everything seems to be the same except from doing straightback deads now. I wouldnt worry that much aside from the fact that it didnt hurt like this when i did rounded back deads. Any idea whats causing this? Im thinking maybe the leaning back a bit during lockouts on deads.

That could definitely do it, maybe also wherever else in the lift your back rounded slightly. Remember what I was saying, setting up and pulling with a round back is dangerous but rounding during the lift (even if you set up with a straight back) is can be even worse. Improving bracing should help, even if you think you’re bracing well you could probably do it better.

2 Likes

The thing that helped me the most with keeping more of a straight back aside from doing all volume work with perfect form, was doing either 45 degree hyperextensions or doing them on the GHR, but pulling 45 pound plates hard into my chest, keeping my shoulder blades back and tight, similar to a deadlift. Alec Enkiri @ape288 has a video on these and I do something extremely similar to his video on these.

1 Like