More Dangerous: Not Bracing or Not Keeping a Neutral Spine?

How do you think i should go on about that? Because as far as hypertriphy goes,my lats are one of my best body parts and whar my friends know me for. How do i strengthen them otherwise?

If you want a good coach Iā€™d recommend:

Dude seriously knows his shit and have met him in person. Good price too. If i had a spare $50 a week thats who id go for.

Have no clue about rounding vs neutral, but if youā€™re ā€œlearningā€ how to keep a straight back, why are you doing sets of 5 touch and go?

Iā€™d make sure my setup is on point before pulling touch and go, that is, Iā€™d wait until I know I can mantain the form I want (in this case, straight back) before training that way.
If youā€™re still unsure about your straight back setup, as it sounds from your posts, going touch and go will probably just reinforce bad habits at a quicker pace.
At the very least, Iā€™d reset posture at every rep, even with weights that for you are light.
If your best pull is 500 something and youā€™re practicing with <400, you already know you CAN pull it. You can pull it with suboptimal setup easily, so you donā€™t need to prove you can crank rep after rep, itā€™s not a manhood test. Itā€™s lighter work you need to ingrain proper patterns, so take it as that.

Also, thereā€™s specificity. Youā€™re clearly aiming to get to the highest 1RM possible, you donā€™t pull your 1RM touch and go. Itā€™s kind of telling that you posted a set of 5 tng for the straight back, and a deficit single for rounded back. Youā€™d probably better served at practicing the straight back doing clusters, that is, split up your set (of 3, 5, or whatever amount you want) into singles, rest 15-20 sec between each rep and reset your whole posture every time.

1 Like

If thatā€™s true then maybe you just donā€™t know how to properly engage them when you deadlift. Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7ZbgjZklE&t=

Heres a form check i tried with the pause deadlifts. I think im learning how to brace the abs and the core felt fairly tense today.

Looks pretty good. Ditch the belt on these submax sets. Figure out a breathing pattern for bracing that you can replicate with consistency.

1 Like

out of curiosity, since youā€™re still insistent that a rounded back deadlift will always be stronger for youā€¦

have you come across any videos of a 750+ lbs deadlifter, under 200 lbs bodyweight, who deadlifts the way you do? if so, Iā€™d like to see that.

Consider the possibility that, if you cannot find such a video, then maybe youā€™re simply wrong, and that you cannot set a world record with the form you believe to be your strongest. Itā€™s highly doubtful that you are literally the only person who should be using that form.

Well theyre not under 200lbs but larry wheels,black tom cruise,steve gentili,KK,etc. But ye im pulling with straight back from now on so doesnt rlly matter.

right, thatā€™s my point. not under 200 lbs is a very important factor. Those guys also donā€™t pull like 400 lbs guys like Hafthor and Shaw and Hall. Body weight/ type affects leverages and form tremendously, so the guys you and I should be emulating are the smaller dudes. I learned that over the past year first-hand. I had been watching a lot of videos of the strongest deadlifters in the world, the 3 guys I mentioned above. I thought that I should be using their technique, because their technique was putting up the biggest numbers, and all 3 guys deadlift similarly. Turns out, that doesnā€™t work at all for me. When I was competing last weekend, I saw the deadlifts I SHOULD be emulating. These were guys my size who could deadlift 600 for reps. And their form looks so much different from what I was trying to do. Iā€™m going to be working pretty hard on my deadlift over the next 9 months, so this is a subject thatā€™s pretty close to me. For my weight class, 181, I need to be deadlifting around 650 consistently to be able to play with the best in the world. So I need to add 50 lbs to my deadlift while essentially maintaining current bodyweight. We have similar goals to each other, it seems.

5 Likes

Why dont you work sumo for a lil?

What is wrong with your deadlift vs. the technique you are now going for?

1 Like

Have tried sumo before for a mesocycle. Form was pretty good but it simply is just weaker than my conventional. Probably because of my hips

Larry nor Steve Gentili pull with a rounded back at all. Maybe in a video or two, but not consistently. Honestly, Iā€™m tired of everyone saying KK too. They always pull this picture here:

http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Konstantinovs.jpg

His back isnā€™t rounded that much of you look past his massive structure. Like flip was saying, bodyweight plays a HUGE role. KK, Wheels, Gentili, all have massive backs and erectors. If you watch them set up from the front, if they pump their legs up and down to rev up, their erectors are massive. If youā€™re known to your friends as a guy with massive lats, get new friends or stop listening to them.

4 Likes

Also wanted to say if you think this

Looks like this

Youā€™re delusional

3 Likes

Tough, but fair.

It looks like KK only rounded his upper back, which is also a much lower risk for injury since itā€™s the lumbar spine where most herniations occur. His lower back is either neutral or very close to it.

I didnā€™t even know low back rounding was a topic in this thread. If thatā€™s so, donā€™t do that ever. Youā€™ll fuck youā€™re life up.

2 Likes

Even then it is very minimal as compared to what the OP is saying. Iā€™m fine with upper back rounding, but I donā€™t see a point in purposely doing so. KKā€™s back round is partially due to the massive slabs of muscle he has built on his back.

This is somewhat a different discussion from the topic of this thread, but some people intentionally round their upper back to improve leverages off the floor. You can get your hips higher and closer to the bar (which makes it easier to break the floor) but the tradeoff is that the lockout becomes difficult. Itā€™s the same idea as with lower back rounding but with way less risk. KK actually said in several interviews that he intentionally rounds his upper back and has always pulled this way, I heard he was teaching people his technique at one point. I also heard more recently that he quit lifting because his back is fucked, but he blames squatting rather than his round backed deadlift.

I just happened to have this post from Dan Green saved in my favorites, take a look: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgFSyERgApb/?utm_source=ig_embed

good lord thatā€™s a bad position @skinnydeadliftgod is in in that screenshot. Damn. That should never happen.

OP: aside from the whole round back thing, look at where your hips are vs KKā€™s in those 2 shots. THAT is where your real problem is. Youā€™ve gotta sit back with your hips more. Your position here is atrocious, youā€™re getting the worst leverages there.

I seriously think you need to spend a lot of time working with 70% of your max or less, and ingrain better movement patterns.

1 Like