More Dangerous: Not Bracing or Not Keeping a Neutral Spine?

“Competing for a national record” Translation: “I’m registered for a meet on December 8th.”

I didn’t see your resume posted anywhere.

1 Like

You took it personally, not me. What are your best competition numbers? Height/weight/age?

We need to understand why the OP should listen to you and not me an others, since you are so qualified.

Good guess. Altho im still not sure if my quads are weak or if its my hams.

Will do. Sounds like a good drill. And im sure my glutes are weak

Nope dont have one. The high bar thing is what makes me think maybe my hams are the weakpoint and not the quads. My highbar is very very close to my low bar,and my front squat also isnt far behind (315lbs).

I’m only going to comment on you. Not the others who have provided valuable feedback.

1. My lifting career is 2x the length of yours.
  2. I’ve spent much of that training others.
  3. You’ve mostly ridiculed the OP
  4. You boasted about being “significantly stronger” than the OP with the knowledge that you are at least 30lbs heavier, of course you’re likely to be stronger.
  5. You haven’t posted any actionable information.

Height: 5’11" BW: 183 Age: 26

Best numbers:
Squat-440
Bench-315
Deadlift-600

2 Likes

You obviously have not seen the OP’s other threads on this topic.

Ahh, so you feel the need to defend OP b/c I was hard on him.

You’ve been a competitive powerlifter for 9 years ? I suppose I could add in all my years when I was in my teens and 20’s but I’ve only been competing for 4.5 years. How many years actually competing? Are those competition numbers?

Hmm. You forgot to mention your other years of lifting. No I have not competed. First one is next month.

1 Like

Oh, so you aren’t a powerlifter, you’ve been training to become one. Roger that.

Lol. I didn’t realize that all my training knowledge will suddenly become relevant once I’ve done a meet.

1 Like

look man, I get you. I’m just saying you won’t get there doing what you’re doing.

Have you watched many Cailer Woolam videos? The dude deadlifts 900+, and has a lean, almost lanky frame. Watch how he deadlifts. If you’re going to pattern your deadlift after anyone, he’s the one to learn from.

I understand chasing world records. It’s what I’m trying to do too (although I’m actually only 5 lbs off from the one I’m chasing, but whatevs). I’m trying to be the best LW strongman in the world, and I’m willing to beat my body up and hurt when I’m old to try to get there now. But to me, that’s all the more reason to learn to do things right. Otherwise, your ceiling will end up being much lower than you want it to be.

See, this is actually a problem for you. That gap is too large to close at your weight class, because you’re already super lean. If you were 50 lbs or less away, then you could probably get there and still be able to cut water weight to get the job done. But you aren’t. At the rate you’re going, you’ll have to go up at least 1 weight class, and more likely 2, to hit that 750 deadlift. And at that point, you still won’t be close to a world record.

Just some things to keep in mind, along with the fact that, in the absence of AAS, you’re going to hit a wall pretty hard in the next year or 2.

ooooh we’re posting numbers now! ok here we go.

me: height: 5’11 on a good day, 5’10 when I’m feeling short
BW: compete at 181. that’s all that matters.

Best number: log press -285
other numbers: who cares

am I doing it right?

7 Likes

This is a very common mentality at your age, especially when you have nothing to lose. You may find your priorities shift if/when you accumulate a family.

1 Like

Actually, I think we’re going to need live video evidence, and please send your lifting resume to knobby22@myspace.com.

1 Like

Height: 6’
BW: 175ish

Best numbers:

Bowling: 162
Summer weddings attended: 4
Slices of pizza eaten: 9

Sorry dude, I think you listed the wrong numbers.

5 Likes

@ baum, LOL. flipcollar has been on these forums a long time and is a beast. Please don’t swing on his dick to make yourself feel better. It’s cute you are butthurt for the OP.

As for skinnydeadliftinggod, as against the general population you move a lot of weight. But the people on here who haven’t validated what you are looking for, that your form is A-OK and keep doing what you are doing, are speaking from experience and have been trying to guide you in the right direction. But you continue to show stubbornness. Consider taking two steps backwards to go one step forward, b/c in the long run it has a better chance of getting what you want, a record.

Finally, a contribution. Thank you.

But this is assuming i have maxed out my dl potential at the weight i am now,which i dont think i have. As everyone else has pointed out,according to these people,my deadlift setup and form is suboptimal and not as efficient as it could be,meaning i could move even more weight if i just fix the form. Add 10-15lbs of muscle throughout the next years and a good weight cut and i think i can make. Not saying its going to be easy or simple,but there is a chance,and fuck all if im not gonna be a believer and grind.

Why not go up to 198 and get the world record there?

Eventually yes. I just wanna max our my potential in every weight class before moving to the other.

You think it’s possible that it could have already happened?

If your hamstrings and glutes were weak then there is no way you would pull as much as you do, those are the two muscle groups that extend your hips. Maybe the issue with your deadlift is more glutes than quads but stronger quads can’t hurt and will improve your squat. Unless you squat with a ton of forward lean or with a super wide stance then your hamstrings don’t do a whole lot.

1 Like

You are limiting your potential by not trying to gain muscle. World records are broken regularly these days. You won’t add 200lbs to your deadlift just by improving your technique.

3 Likes