T Nation

More Crossfit Hating

I think my knee just blew out from watching 3:33

34 likes, 1,828 dislikes.

Little else to say.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
They do compound lifts, cardio and workout most days of the week.

I’m sorry but no matter what you label it or how a program is structured, if they are deadlifting, snatching, push pressing or some weird combo, doing chin ups et cetera, they are a part of the “iron game” even if not competitive bodybuilders or powerlifters.[/quote]

Do you think that 105 pound blond has any clue how to teach/critique a strongman lift? That’s the issue, and that’s really the issue with everything they do. They churn out a bunch of fitness hipsters who have no idea to teach such technical lifts, yet pretend as if they do. The end result is thousands of people doing terrible lifts repeatedly, and they don’t really know any better.

That looked so awkward with the reverse grip and then to change grip mid lift, that made my back hirt watching it. I guess if you where using lighter weight and doing the rep quicker you could change hand position easily but it just made the people doing the lift look untrained

It’s a continental clean. We do them when we’re repping a heavy clean and press, like in a competition. It’s not pretty, theirs look way sloppier than we try to do em, and I generally end up with weird bruises, but it is a viable lift. You do a normal clean and press as long as you can, and then you go on to continental if you must.

I will say I continental clean double overhand, but I have a friend who just placed at Nationals who does them mixed grip.

You guys sound like the YouTube commenters who tell me I’m an idiot for arching in a bench.

It looked like they were going for thier one rep max.

I do crossfit sometimes and it can be fun. They wouldn’t do that on the WOD, but there are days where they try to test out their max on a lift.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
It’s a continental clean. We do them when we’re repping a heavy clean and press, like in a competition. It’s not pretty, theirs look way sloppier than we try to do em, and I generally end up with weird bruises, but it is a viable lift. You do a normal clean and press as long as you can, and then you go on to continental if you must.

I will say I continental clean double overhand, but I have a friend who just placed at Nationals who does them mixed grip.

You guys sound like the YouTube commenters who tell me I’m an idiot for arching in a bench.[/quote]

Its the sloppiness that kills it for me. I don’t have the tightest form on cleans but shoooottt

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

You guys sound like the YouTube commenters who tell me I’m an idiot for arching in a bench.[/quote]

Its the sloppiness that kills it for me. I don’t have the tightest form on cleans but shoooottt[/quote]

Yeah, if people are criticizing the form, I agree, but the first comment was “apparently that’s a real lift” or something to that effect. Not sure if that comment was tongue in cheek and referencing the form rather than the kind of lift.

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken…or perhaps not.

No one has mentioned it yet, but it’s a Continental Clean.

P.S. Continental Clean

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Here’s one

I heard Dr. Stuart McGills tashe fell off after watching this!
[/quote]

GAWDAMMIT ARKANSAS WTF

Given the length and history of the Squat Rack Curls threads I’m always amazed that somebody sees a person do some stupid shit once at one Crossfit location and assumes that everybody that does Crossfit does that kind of stupid shit on a daily basis. Just because they do it one place doesn’t mean we all do it. I’m an ACSM PT, soon to be USAW level 1 trainer and there’s no way in hell I’d have people doing some of the dumb shit I see in some of these gyms. Safety and common sense have to be considered first and foremost.

Ever have a slight tinge of anger when somebody makes an assumption about the way YOU lift and train because they saw a video of some douchebag high school student wrecking their self on Youtube??? Don’t be quite so quick to jump to conclusions guys, you’ve been doing this long enough to know that there’s usually more to the story than what’s on the evening news, or for Fuck Sake Facebook…

In that first video, i just saw a bunch of people having fun doing odd lifts, i think i even saw a fast-curl/ press at one point.
You guys saying ‘oh that looks dumb/painfull’, i wonder when was the last time you lifted a heavy weight from the floor and while standing, pressed it over your head

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Here’s one

I heard Dr. Stuart McGills tashe fell off after watching this!
[/quote]

I don’t know why, but that looks like fun to me.

:slight_smile:

Crossfit funnies.

The person opening the vid is Dave Castro…Crossfit HQ’s Director of Training, and his magical 40 second deadlift.

[quote]usaffirefighter wrote:
Given the length and history of the Squat Rack Curls threads I’m always amazed that somebody sees a person do some stupid shit once at one Crossfit location and assumes that everybody that does Crossfit does that kind of stupid shit on a daily basis. Just because they do it one place doesn’t mean we all do it. I’m an ACSM PT, soon to be USAW level 1 trainer and there’s no way in hell I’d have people doing some of the dumb shit I see in some of these gyms. Safety and common sense have to be considered first and foremost.

Ever have a slight tinge of anger when somebody makes an assumption about the way YOU lift and train because they saw a video of some douchebag high school student wrecking their self on Youtube??? Don’t be quite so quick to jump to conclusions guys, you’ve been doing this long enough to know that there’s usually more to the story than what’s on the evening news, or for Fuck Sake Facebook…[/quote]

Mostly correct…most of the lolz is provided by Budding, Castro and Glassman…they truly suck.

There are some really good boxes that have turned out some serious athletes (Rob Orlando, Grahamn Holmberg, Chris Spealler, Mikko Salo ect.) but HQ is just a running joke, led by the chief gin swill-er in charge…Glassman.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
Crossfit funnies.

The person opening the vid is Dave Castro…Crossfit HQ’s Director of Training, and his magical 40 second deadlift.

http://youtu.be/dRLVvIVvyrY[/quote]

LOFL! That Benny Hill theme tune gets me everytime - the close up of the guy ‘straining’ hahaha

[quote]usaffirefighter wrote:

Ever have a slight tinge of anger when somebody makes an assumption about the way YOU lift and train because they saw a video of some douchebag high school student wrecking their self on Youtube??? Don’t be quite so quick to jump to conclusions guys, you’ve been doing this long enough to know that there’s usually more to the story than what’s on the evening news, or for Fuck Sake Facebook…[/quote]

I agree with everything you said. I couldnt care less what a person is into, be it bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfitting etc. but when someone is doing it wrong they’re ‘doin it rong’

I think its actually pretty cool that theyre teaching people this lift, but its clear that these people are by no means advanced enough to be doing this kind of one rep max exercise. They should lower the weight and have them work on heavy triples or something similar.

And btw if you want to get technical its the “Two-Hands Continental”, its improper to call it a clean as the clean is one quick, …clean movement.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
In that first video, i just saw a bunch of people having fun doing odd lifts, i think i even saw a fast-curl/ press at one point.
You guys saying ‘oh that looks dumb/painfull’, i wonder when was the last time you lifted a heavy weight from the floor and while standing, pressed it over your head[/quote]

Check the Overhead Challenge Thread for a count. Something less than ten, I think.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
You guys saying ‘oh that looks dumb/painfull’, i wonder when was the last time you lifted a heavy weight from the floor and while standing, pressed it over your head[/quote]

Right, right, x1000 right! Of all places, I can’t believe there are comments on this forum like “oh, that hurt my back, knee, little toe, vagina, etc. just watching it”. Go fucking analyze why your Paladin isn’t leveling fast enough. They’re lifting, they enjoy it, no resultant deaths from it to my knowledge. It diesel weasel is still alive, these people will be just fine.