T Nation

More Cop Fails

An elderly woman who called 911 gets shot by police.

Fuckin’ trigger-happy pigs.

A tough situation with a sad ending for sure.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Fuckin’ trigger-happy pigs. [/quote]

Well, they didn’t shoot the dog, for once.

Don’t you know, every profession has bad employees

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Don’t you know, every profession has bad employees[/quote]

Not mimes.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Yea, I’m sure these cops felt really good about shooting an old lady.

On arrival, they heard shots being fired. After taking cover, they saw the old lady and realized she had a gun, which she pointed at the officers. They told her to drop it, she didn’t. If she was visually and hearing impaired, she shouldn’t be leaving the house with a gun. What if she wandered outside and shot her neighbor while he was taking out the garbage, thinking he was the burglar?

Regardless of age or sex, what would you do if someone was pointing a gun at you and didn’t put it down after you’ve told them to?

[quote]Matt_D wrote:
A tough situation with a sad ending for sure.[/quote]

x2

This will be ruled a clean shoot. I don’t like cops but I don’t see what choice they had. If I’m a LEO and somebody draws on me, it’s either shoot them and go home to my wife and kids, or not. That is the choice and I would take me over them every day of the week.

This is why police shouldn’t carry guns. Someone, not for the first time, ends up shot by the police who is not an actual threat.

I’m amazed that the police are so inadequate at communicating with suspects - it seems that anything less than absolute compliance on the part of the public is a mandate for the police to feel absolutely and totally threatened to the point that they can use absolutely any force they want, including shooting someone dead.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]Matt_D wrote:

x2

This will be ruled a clean shoot. I don’t like cops but I don’t see what choice they had. If I’m a LEO and somebody draws on me, it’s either shoot them and go home to my wife and kids, or not. That is the choice and I would take me over them every day of the week.[/quote]

You don’t even know if someone’s gun is loaded, or whether they will shoot you, or whether they even know they are drawing the gun at you…

All you know is that you will shoot to kill if you feel threatened :S

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

On arrival, they heard shots being fired. After taking cover, they saw the old lady and realized she had a gun, which she pointed at the officers. They told her to drop it, she didn’t. If she was visually and hearing impaired, she shouldn’t be leaving the house with a gun. What if she wandered outside and shot her neighbor while he was taking out the garbage, thinking he was the burglar?

Regardless of age or sex, what would you do if someone was pointing a gun at you and didn’t put it down after you’ve told them to?
[/quote]

Move away from them… especially if they were an old lady lol

[quote]Trocchi wrote:
This is why police shouldn’t carry guns. Someone, not for the first time, ends up shot by the police who is not an actual threat.

I’m amazed that the police are so inadequate at communicating with suspects - it seems that anything less than absolute compliance on the part of the public is a mandate for the police to feel absolutely and totally threatened to the point that they can use absolutely any force they want, including shooting someone dead.

[/quote]

Communications failed because the woman was apparently deaf. I would feel “absolutely and totally threatened” if someone pointed a gun at me, and I would use all the force I could to prevent them from killing me, including shooting someone dead.

I’m not responding to your other points.

You say that like it’s bad or unjustified? I like living. Someone pointing a gun at me is a credible threat to me continuing to live.
I’ve got a lot of problems with law enforcement’s increasing militarization, but this doesn’t really strike me as a bad call on the cops part.

[quote]Trocchi wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]Matt_D wrote:

x2

This will be ruled a clean shoot. I don’t like cops but I don’t see what choice they had. If I’m a LEO and somebody draws on me, it’s either shoot them and go home to my wife and kids, or not. That is the choice and I would take me over them every day of the week.[/quote]

You don’t even know if someone’s gun is loaded, or whether they will shoot you, or whether they even know they are drawing the gun at you…

[/quote]

Which is exactly the reason you should shoot.

[quote]Trocchi wrote:

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Move away from them… especially if they were an old lady lol
[/quote]

You’re right. Police should leave immediately if a situation becomes dangerous.

Thanks for the laugh.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Well, they didn’t shoot the dog, for once.[/quote]

LOL! Oh, man! I didn’t wanna laugh at that one, but damn that was funny.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Of course the cops SAID she pointed at them. I highly doubt that she did. She called 911. You don’t call 911 and NOT expect police to arrive.

[quote]Trocchi wrote:

[/quote]

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

[quote]paulwhite959 wrote:

You say that like it’s bad or unjustified? I like living. Someone pointing a gun at me is a credible threat to me continuing to live.
I’ve got a lot of problems with law enforcement’s increasing militarization, but this doesn’t really strike me as a bad call on the cops part.[/quote]

IF it is loaded.

IF they will actually shoot you.

IF it is even a real gun.

IF there is nothing else you can do to stop them shooting at you.

Just because it looks like a gun, it doesn’t actually constitute a credible threat to your life. That is a FACT.

You can’t even find statistics on how many people the police in America have killed. The use of proportional force is clearly not a moral issue in the US - which should be a big concern.

The case of Jordan vs New London is perhaps the biggest inditement of American police, where:

“Jordan applied for a police job in New London and scored 33 on his qualification exam, equivalent to a 125 IQ. That’s one standard deviation above the mean â?? smart, but no genius by any definition. The city refused to hire him, stating a preference for those who scored 27 or lower; the suggested median for a patrol officer was 21. New London’s argument was that smart people would find police work boring, and leave the profession after receiving expensive training. Jordan sued for discrimination â?? and lost. The court ruled there’s nothing discriminatory about a city’s desire to ensure only C-students get to carry police badges.” (the Guardian newspaper).

What would you be saying if this ladies warning shots through the window killed one of her neighbors? Do you know if any of the rounds were fired in the vicinity of the responding officers? Tragic for sure but a legit shoot.

[quote]Trocchi wrote:

[quote]paulwhite959 wrote:

I’ve got a lot of problems with law enforcement’s increasing militarization, but this doesn’t really strike me as a bad call on the cops part.[/quote]

IF it is loaded.

IF they will actually shoot you.

IF it is even a real gun.

IF there is nothing else you can do to stop them shooting at you.

Just because it looks like a gun, it doesn’t actually constitute a credible threat to your life. That is a FACT.

You can’t even find statistics on how many people the police in America have killed. The use of proportional force is clearly not a moral issue in the US - which should be a big concern.

The case of Jordan vs New London is perhaps the biggest inditement of American police, where:

“Jordan applied for a police job in New London and scored 33 on his qualification exam, equivalent to a 125 IQ. That’s one standard deviation above the mean â?? smart, but no genius by any definition. The city refused to hire him, stating a preference for those who scored 27 or lower; the suggested median for a patrol officer was 21. New London’s argument was that smart people would find police work boring, and leave the profession after receiving expensive training. Jordan sued for discrimination â?? and lost. The court ruled there’s nothing discriminatory about a city’s desire to ensure only C-students get to carry police badges.” (the Guardian newspaper).
[/quote]

So enlighten us how do you tell if a gun is loaded if your not the one handling it?