T Nation

More Chest For Bench

How can I work my chest more during the bench press?

Widen your grip and bench to your neck(or at least closer to your neck) to hit the muscles harder, also you can do combo reps where you bring the weight down, go half way up, bring it down again and then back up to the top as ONE rep.

Wide grip neck presses are a bit harder though, since they hit the chest more exclusively, you might not be able to press the same amount of weight you normally press, so be careful.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
Widen your grip and bench to your neck(or at least closer to your neck) to hit the muscles harder, also you can do combo reps where you bring the weight down, go half way up, bring it down again and then back up to the top as ONE rep.

Wide grip neck presses are a bit harder though, since they hit the chest more exclusively, you might not be able to press the same amount of weight you normally press, so be careful.

[/quote]

No more posts are needed…

Sorry, one more post: Search youtube for a video of the ‘Gironda neck press’. May help illustrate the point.

You can also grip the bar tight, and then contract the pecs harder by trying to slide your grip closer together while pressing(without actually moving your hands). Again, weights will have to decrease, but you will get a lot more pec activation.

CT ‘created’ (?) an exercise where you set up a bench inbetween the cable crossover machine. You take straps and wrap them around your elbows, so that the cable the stacks are pulling your elbows out, then, take dumbbells and do presses with them. I tried them out, and they’re incredible for your chest.

widen grip … add more weight.

check this thread for the gornda videos.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1428081&pageNo=0

Want to hit chest better with bench presses?

If you’re like me (and many other trainees), you’ll find the wide-grip bench press and other variations put too much stress on your shoulders.

Here’s a good trick to save your shoulders and get more chest work when doing bench presses:

Try to pre-exhaust the chest with another exercise before bench pressing.

You could use any of the following:

Dumbbell flyes followed by bench press

Dips followed by bench press

Pushups followed by bench press

You could do 2-3 sets of one of the above for 8-12 reps and then follow it with your bench presses. Just be sure to lower the weight on the bench presses to be safe!

Pause Bench with a wide grip

Use dumbbells

Holy shit.

Today I did the gironda bench with 135 lbs and it ate me up. My chest was just on fire and I usually rep with around 200 lbs.

I also tried to incorporate his techniques with my decline dumbell and incline dumbell and it felt great. I haven’t gotten that kind of pump in my chest in a long time!

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
How can I work my chest more during the bench press?[/quote]

I dont know how good your set up is right now on the bench…but most peoples in commercial gyms is shocking…retracting your shoulder blades throughout the set and pushing the bar in a straight line, not a j towards your face should take some strain off the shoulders and onto the chest(and tris). If you already do all that then everyone elses suggestions of wide grip presses to the neck sounds like a plan