More Awake in the PM than AM

so When I follow a meal plan that eats p+c in the first meals of the day and p+f in the last meals of the day, I have run into some problems.

I am more tired in the AM through afternoon following my p+C meals.

Then when I consume my p+f meals I find that im more alert and awake than when I was in the early day. sometimes i cant even sleep.

I find this to really suck, be all relaxed and carb calm in the day, and be all focused at night and not relaxed.

before you say oh your eating your carbs first , or overconsuming them im not.

Ps after I consume Surge or PWO I feel the absolute worse, like a crossed eyed tired coma. This continues witht he second postworkt meal, and than finally stops when I get my low carb meals in.

This leaves me to question this method of eating.

bumpa!

You stay up too late at night!

jeeze thanks for the amazing advice.
I don’t stay up late.

What im saying is throughout the day eating protein with carbs, Im more relaxed and more sleepy from the carbs.

Then when I stary eating my P+f meals Im more alert, and the lack of carbs at night Keeps seratonin low thus im more alert.

did you not read the post.

Most people are more tired in the morning than in the afternoon, regardless of diet.

A simple trick I learned a long time ago, that many people laugh at, is to have a small amount of carbs a few before bed. Everyone thinks you shouldn’t eat carbs before bed. Well how bout a little bit? How bout if they make you tired and you need that? How about if you’re already kind of lean?

Why not try P+F meals all the time except PWO. use P+ some C before bed and see how that goes.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
A simple trick I learned a long time ago, that many people laugh at, is to have a small amount of carbs a few before bed. Everyone thinks you shouldn’t eat carbs before bed. Well how bout a little bit? How bout if they make you tired and you need that? How about if you’re already kind of lean?

Why not try P+F meals all the time except PWO. use P+ some C before bed and see how that goes.[/quote]

Maybe eating pure sugar before bed will, but eating some carbs with a high fiber content won’t.
I eat an apple or peach with cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed sometimes.

[quote]Shortest Straw wrote:
I don’t stay up late.

What im saying is throughout the day eating protein with carbs, Im more relaxed and more sleepy from the carbs.

Then when I stary eating my P+f meals Im more alert, and the lack of carbs at night Keeps seratonin low thus im more alert.

did you not read the post.[/quote]

I don’t know about all that but your first post was time stamped after midnight. Not sure when you wake up in the morning but I have found getting to sleep before midnight really helps me in the AM.

I have never thought I was more awake or alert when I was low-carb.

Your confusing your timing here SS. Meal timing is not necessarily related to your immediate feeling or mood, unless you overeat of course. It’s likely that you feel better in the evenings because you ate carbs all day. And you feel crappy during the day because you didn’t eat any carbs the night before.

Why are you doing the P+C and P+F thing anyway? What are your current goals and what led you to this eating pattern? I’m not saying it’s good or bad, just that people think this is the only way to eat.

Also- completely unrelated- maybe you aren’t sleeping well. Try some ZMA.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Shortest Straw wrote:
I don’t stay up late.

TIME STAMPED 930pm pacific time! not 1230!

I switched to a zone type diet today and my energy levels were much better.

and yes I do believe that meal to meal ratios of protein to carbohydrate can have an immediate effect on energy levels.

did you not read the post.

I don’t know about all that but your first post was time stamped after midnight. Not sure when you wake up in the morning but I have found getting to sleep before midnight really helps me in the AM.

I have never thought I was more awake or alert when I was low-carb.[/quote]

Your adrenal glands put out a second surge of cortisol at around 11:00pm to keep you going through the night. Incidentally 10pm to 1 am is the time in which your adrenal glands repair themselves.

[quote]keaster wrote:
Your adrenal glands put out a second surge of cortisol at around 11:00pm to keep you going through the night. Incidentally 10pm to 1 am is the time in which your adrenal glands repair themselves. [/quote]

Surely this is not universal. Not everyone wakes at the same time, nor do they sleep the same number of hours, nor a lot of other factors.

Besides- cortisol is at it’s highest in the morning and it’s lowest at night. I’ve never read anything about a surge in the evening.

I was on a low carb diet for a while, and when I came off, I have noticed the same thing. When I eat p + c I feel terrible, but when I eat p+f I feel fine.

on a side topic, cortisol can be out of whack if you have drained your adrenals.

If youve never heard about it your just haven’t read up on adrenal problems.

Poliquin routinly diagnoses adrenal problems. starting with saliva tests of cortisol taken at 4 points in a day.

This shows your ratio of cortisol to testosterone. can show if there low.

I actually had a test that showed my levels were depressed in the early am.

This is a sign of adrenal fatigue.

The days of P+C and P+F are over. Let’ all move on…