T Nation

More Arms w/ Waterbury Method?

Im starting the Waterbury 10x3 workout and it seems really solid, and im really looking forward to upping my strength and getting some real muscle. one thing i was wondering, my arms are lacking and i was thinking about working an arm routine into the workout as well perhaps the Canadian cannons arm routine.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how i can work that routine into the Waterbury method. Any suggestions would be great.

Just shotgun it and see what happens.

Also try throwing into the mix:

-Smolov’s squat cycle
-Dynamic effort with bands for your bench
-GTG for olympic lifts
-Doggcrapp’s calf training
-EDT for your infraspinatus
-Crossfit (just in case you haven’t fucked everything up badly enough already…)

On second thought, maybe don’t mix two unrelated programs together at the same time. Kind of like trying to make a cheeseburger milkshake. They’re both great…but not together.

[quote]Ramo wrote:

On second thought, maybe don’t mix two unrelated programs together at the same time. Kind of like trying to make a cheeseburger milkshake. They’re both great…but not together.[/quote]

And lets just make it clear that the program should not be fucked with.

[quote]K-BRA wrote:
Im starting the Waterbury 10x3 workout and it seems really solid, and im really looking forward to upping my strength and getting some real muscle. one thing i was wondering, my arms are lacking and i was thinking about working an arm routine into the workout as well perhaps the Canadian cannons arm routine.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how i can work that routine into the Waterbury method. Any suggestions would be great.[/quote]

Trust me on this (I know you wont, but here it goes)

If you follow the program for awhile, you will notice your arms getting bigger w/out direct arm work. If you are like me you have curled and tricep extended until the cows came home.

As soon as I dropped direct arm work for Pull-ups and Dips, I noticed my arms start to take off again. Try it for awhile before you put direct arm work in. After a few months put the curls and extentions back in. Good luck.

I agree with everyone else…Chad W. is a brilliant trainer with time tested methods. Trust his methods. Do the 4 week Waterbury Method, take a week off, then maybe follow it up with Thib’s HSS-100 planif you’re still feeling the ‘itch’ to have more direct arm work.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
Just shotgun it and see what happens.

Also try throwing into the mix:

-Smolov’s squat cycle
-Dynamic effort with bands for your bench
-GTG for olympic lifts
-Doggcrapp’s calf training
-EDT for your infraspinatus
-Crossfit (just in case you haven’t fucked everything up badly enough already…)

On second thought, maybe don’t mix two unrelated programs together at the same time. Kind of like trying to make a cheeseburger milkshake. They’re both great…but not together.[/quote]

EDT for your infraspinatus
LMFAO!

[quote]K-BRA wrote:
im really looking forward to upping my strength and getting some real muscle.

my arms are lacking [/quote]

These two statements really say some things.

1. You are small and weak
  2. Your arms are not lagging. All of you is lagging.
  3. You need to get overall bigger and stronger. No one has 18 inch arms at 150 lbs and if they somehow did, they would look handicapped.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
<<< -EDT for your infraspinatus >>>[/quote]

LOL!

If you don’t have faith in the program, by all means do a different one.

it doesn’t really matter what you do as long as all your muscle groups are getting stronger and you are consistently gaining scale weight.

I tend to differ from a lot of people on this board in the sense that I do believe direct arm work is a good thing just as direct calf and shoulder work is.

If you want your arms to get larger, you have to make them stronger, and for a lot of people pullups are mainly going to target the back (as i believe they should), and the biceps won’t get the direct work they need to grow as fast as possible.
Dips could go either way depending on how you do them and what your body structure is. But I wouldn’t use it as BOTH my main chest and my main tricep exercise, as most likely one or the other muscle group will suffer.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
If you don’t have faith in the program, by all means do a different one.

it doesn’t really matter what you do as long as all your muscle groups are getting stronger and you are consistently gaining scale weight.

I tend to differ from a lot of people on this board in the sense that I do believe direct arm work is a good thing just as direct calf and shoulder work is.

If you want your arms to get larger, you have to make them stronger, and for a lot of people pullups are mainly going to target the back (as i believe they should), and the biceps won’t get the direct work they need to grow as fast as possible.
Dips could go either way depending on how you do them and what your body structure is. But I wouldn’t use it as BOTH my main chest and my main tricep exercise, as most likely one or the other muscle group will suffer.[/quote]

Agreed. Good post.

OP, if you want to do the Waterbury Method, then do the Waterbury Method. If you want to do something that has more direct arm work, then do something that has more direct arm work. Do not (as others have stated) try to combine programs. You likely do not have the expertise or experience to be able to pull that off effectively and will probably wind up getting sub par results.

Once again, if you don’t like the Waterbury Method’s lack of direct arm work, do something else.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
K-BRA wrote:
im really looking forward to upping my strength and getting some real muscle.

my arms are lacking

These two statements really say some things.

1. You are small and weak
  2. Your arms are not lagging. All of you is lagging.
  3. You need to get overall bigger and stronger. No one has 18 inch arms at 150 lbs and if they somehow did, they would look handicapped.[/quote]

I don’t see how you can conclude that K-Bra is “small and weak” from those two statements. Do you know him personally? Have you even seen him before? Maybe you should look into that before you call him small and weak for wanting to get bigger. So just because he wants to bring up one lagging muscle group his other muscle groups must also be lagging? That’s interesting. Maybe he has a muscle imbalance and wouldn’t need to gain as much in other areas.