More Advice From An Old Man

Along the lines of #12.

• If you do something nice for me, then later use what you did as a reason for why I need to do something for you, you no longer have done something nice for me.

Fine list, but I have to disagree with #1. (If we take ‘badness’ to mean bad. I would suggest that the opposite of ‘badness’ is ‘badassness’).

“Apocalypse Now” has the most helicopters of any film I can think of, and I thought that movie was pretty sweet. Critics praise it as well.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
Along the lines of #12.

• If you do something nice for me, then later use what you did as a reason for why I need to do something for you, you no longer have done something nice for me.

[/quote]

That depends on who it is you helped and how much help was given. If I bail a frat brother out of a tight situation, I would expect that I have a favor in the bank should I need it. That’s just how it works. Even on minor shit like going out with friends and picking up the tab once.

Well, I would expect to eventually get my lunch paid for (assuming we are all on equal social terms). In any real acquaintances, friendships or even families, that shouldn’t even need to be said.

Minor shit like opening doors for people or helping a lady carry heavy shit doesn’t count.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:
Beyond saying that Ben Franklin started it and that it has something to do with maximizing daylight for farmers, I don’t really know.

Nope. On both.

Ben may have said “Early to bed, early to rise…” and urged the lazy-ass French to get up earlier in the summertime, but the notion that he proposed DST in the US is a common misconception.

It was actually invented in 1905 by a British golfer named William Willett, who didn’t like having to cut his rounds short in the dusk. It was established in the US in 1918, but the farmers hated it. They lobbied to get it repealed, but Woodrow Wilson, another golfer, vetoed the repeal vote.[/quote]

You guys realize you all sound like Cliff Clavin on this DST thing right?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
2. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight-saving time.

Well, how 'bout this one? In the higher latitudes of the northern and southern hemispheres, DST allows one to make late night bank deposits in the car without having to turn on the dome light in order to find the slot.

Compelling?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1485961
[/quote]

You see, the problem is we don’t have DST in South Africa, even though it being the southern most tip of Africa, so late night deposits were a problem in the past.

Since I moved, finding a bank that was open wasn’t as much of a problem, it’s just whether they would accept my currency or not…though there are also other advantages such as drive through banks you can trust - a luxury not available in 3rd world countries.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
You guys realize you all sound like Cliff Clavin on this DST thing right?[/quote]

The difference being, of course, that Cliff only thought he knew stuff.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Nope. On both.

Ben may have said “Early to bed, early to rise…” and urged the lazy-ass French to get up earlier in the summertime, but the notion that he proposed DST in the US is a common misconception.

It was actually invented in 1905 by a British golfer named William Willett, who didn’t like having to cut his rounds short in the dusk. It was established in the US in 1918, but the farmers hated it. They lobbied to get it repealed, but Woodrow Wilson, another golfer, vetoed the repeal vote.[/quote]

You expect me to believe that? They said Ben Franklin started DST in National Treasure. Nicolas Cage himself said it. I can’t possibly believe that a Hollywood movie would get their historical facts all screwed up.

What’s next? You going to tell me that there really weren’t rhinos and elephants and ten-foot-tall mutants at the Battle of Thermopylae? That Xerxes wasn’t really eight feet tall and that Ephialtes really wasn’t some troll-man?

Please! I wasn’t born yesterday!

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I hate meetings, committees, anything like that. Absolute wastes!

In any job I ever had, I was hired by one man relying upon his own judgment.

We should have more meetings.[/quote]

This may be an example of #14.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
You expect me to believe that? They said Ben Franklin started DST in National Treasure. Nicolas Cage himself said it. I can’t possibly believe that a Hollywood movie would get their historical facts all screwed up.

What’s next? You going to tell me that there really weren’t rhinos and elephants and ten-foot-tall mutants at the Battle of Thermopylae? That Xerxes wasn’t really eight feet tall and that Ephialtes really wasn’t some troll-man?

Please! I wasn’t born yesterday![/quote]

Hahahaha! Well, Xerxes was, of course, the founder of the Illuminati, whose mission was to keep safe and secret the treasure of Croesus, stolen by Cyrus the Great. During the Crusades the Persians entrusted their secrets to a small band of Frankish Knights, who formed the order of the Knights Templar, and…

Oh, never mind. :wink:

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:
Beyond saying that Ben Franklin started it and that it has something to do with maximizing daylight for farmers, I don’t really know.

Nope. On both.

It was actually invented in 1905 by a British golfer named William Willett, who didn’t like having to cut his rounds short in the dusk. It was established in the US in 1918, but the farmers hated it. They lobbied to get it repealed, but Woodrow Wilson, another golfer, vetoed the repeal vote.

You guys realize you all sound like Cliff Clavin on this DST thing right?[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]etaco wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I hate meetings, committees, anything like that. Absolute wastes!

In any job I ever had, I was hired by one man relying upon his own judgment.

We should have more meetings.

This may be an example of #14.[/quote]

…and #13 as well…