T Nation

Morbidly Obese Sedentary For 99 Percent Of The Day

I have to admit, this was actually surprising to me. I think it also shows how horrendously skewed people have come to view physical effort.

Hell with all our goverment programs we should have the fat police. Force these fatties to exercise at gunpoint. That would motivate them. I would sign up for that job.

my human growth and development teacher gave me the statistic that by 2010 50% of children will be obese.

…and then the coach from “Green Death” gets fired, bravo.

ughughughugh

“Increasingly, new technologic advances encourage individuals to move less and expend fewer calories.”

Those guys that wrote WALL-E were really onto something…

“On average, 23 hours and 51.6 min per day were spent sleeping or engaged in sedentary activity and the remaining 8.4 minutes were spent in moderate activity.”

I wager that that 8.4 minutes of moderate activity were spent walking to and from some sort of food source. What the hell do these people do all day?

Every time i see one of these whales on TLC or Discovery channel I get sick to my stomach. These people have a miserable existence and are enabled by the people around them.

this is somethig that all people need to realise about themselves. when im working, im on my feet all day doing labour, during uni terms, i do fuck all basically. need to change that

Yeah, I try to be careful that my time in the gym is not my only physical activity. I never pass up a chance for a nice long walk.

8.4 minutes a day of moderate activity? haha nice…

Fat people are so productive.

This makes me want to becomea lot more productive… Obesity = Laziness, I don’t care who you are and what genetics you have. If you work hard, there is no way for you to remain super fat.

I love the conclusion, “Our findings have important implications for the relationship between obesity and physical activity.”

No kidding. That’s not to say their findings are unimportant, but I think it’s sad that the obvious to most of us still needs to be proven and reinforced to a large part or at least some parts of the populace.

However, I’m also really fascinated by the studies that show that people who are morbidly obese don’t think they are. I wonder if these people are aware of how little physical activity they really do?

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
This makes me want to becomea lot more productive… Obesity = Laziness, I don’t care who you are and what genetics you have. If you work hard, there is no way for you to remain super fat.[/quote]

I work with a guy that is about 6’4"
he is huge fat.I wont even guess how much he weighs but it has to be in the 400s.

this man during the entire shift never sits down, even between jobs he is standing, he walks faster than most and he is doing the same manual labor that we all do.

infact he is the shop foreman so he takes on extra duties, which this is a very physical job. he is throwing around product that weighs well into 200-300 pound range like nothing. for 12-15 hours a day 7 days a week and it is outside as well.
he is not breaking a sweat nor is he breathing hard.

he is the exception rather than the rule but obesity does not always = laziness.
most times yes but not always.
ok, carry on.

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
SpartanX wrote:
This makes me want to becomea lot more productive… Obesity = Laziness, I don’t care who you are and what genetics you have. If you work hard, there is no way for you to remain super fat.

he is huge fat.I wont even guess how much he weighs but it has to be in the 400s.

this man during the entire shift never sits down, even between jobs he is standing, he walks faster than most and he is doing the same manual labor that we all do.
infact he is the shop foreman so he takes on extra duties, which this is a very physical job. he is throwing around product that weighs well into 200-300 pound range like nothing. for 12-15 hours a day 7 days a week and it is outside as well.
he is the exception rather than the rule but obesity does not always = laziness.
ok, carry on.
[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that. Maybe he is just one of those big burly lumber jack kindof guys. Or you are exagerrating his weight, but there is no way a guy like that trains like that, still has rolls and doesn’t break a sweat.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

[quote]SpartanX wrote:
MaddyD wrote:
SpartanX wrote:

ok, carry on.

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe that. Maybe he is just one of those big burly lumber jack kindof guys. Or you are exagerrating his weight, but there is no way a guy like that trains like that, still has rolls and doesn’t break a sweat.

Pics or it didn’t happen.[/quote]
being totaly serious.
and did I mention anything about training?

no I did not I mentioned that he worked with me,he is obese and he is strong as hell.

no exaggeration at all.
as we all know the body adapts to extremes, correct?
so how is it hard to understand that someone that is overweight can get used to a workload that they are placed under every day of their lives?

you guys saying that EVERY fat person is lazy is kind of ignorant and closed minded.

yes,like i said the majority of them are lazy and this is how they became fat, but there are too many variables in life and the human body to just be black and white like these studies claim.

I am not trying to argue, and I am also not trying to lay claim that this study is wrong, I am just saying that obesity like anything that is medical or related to the human body should be treated on a case by case basis and not generalized.

but then again, if you are not obese yourself, what does it mater?
why this obsession to dig on other people based on how they look.
they will die before you anyways so why worry about it unless they are someone close to you.

I just came up with one famous example.
Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle
better known as “fatty” Arbuckle
this man was a huge fat man, but he was far from lazy and he was also very light and agile on his feet,look him up you’ll see that it is not impossible.

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
SpartanX wrote:
MaddyD wrote:
SpartanX wrote:

I just came up with one famous example.
Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle
better known as “fatty” Arbuckle
this man was a huge fat man, but he was far from lazy and he was also very light and agile on his feet,look him up you’ll see that it is not impossible.

[/quote]

Another famous example is Curly Howard of the Three Stooges. Long before any film shorts were made they did long vaudville acts of nothing but physical slapstick comedy.

I read the article and thought “well duh”. However, the low level of physical activity was stunning to me.

I think most of us need to think long and hard about ourselves regardless of whether we are obese or not.

Many of us have jobs at which we are sat on our asses most of the day. That includes me. The physical act of sitting all day and leaning over a desk has negatively impacted my body in ways that have become apparent once I started lifting.

My point is that I think we are all probably more sendentary than we think we are.

There’s a huge difference between being big and fat and being morbidly obese.

It’s ironic I came upon this topic on a day where I have basically only moved between bed, chair, fridge, and toilet (I wish I’d timed it now).

This is far from the norm for me but it does give me an insight into just how the morbidly obese might manage such a low activity level.

Thankfully I’m going walkies as soon as I finish syncing my ipod and I was eating salad with skinless chicken breasts and yohgurt with fruit rather than doritos and cookie dough but it’s a slippery slope.

[quote]MaddyD wrote:

ok, carry on.
[/quote]

My uncle is like that, He also is 6’4 but is in the mid 300’s. He has himself a potbelly, but he also wears size 17 shoes and can crush my hand with his no problem. I remember I used to avoid shaking his hand whenever I saw him because his hands were so damn big and his crushing strength was unbelievable.

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
SpartanX wrote:

ok, carry on.
[/quote]

I knew a guy I used to work with named “Tuffy”. He was old and really obese and man could that mother fucker run. He flew up the stairs faster than everybody.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I read the article and thought “well duh”. However, the low level of physical activity was stunning to me.

I think most of us need to think long and hard about ourselves regardless of whether we are obese or not.

Many of us have jobs at which we are sat on our asses most of the day. That includes me. The physical act of sitting all day and leaning over a desk has negatively impacted my body in ways that have become apparent once I started lifting.

My point is that I think we are all probably more sendentary than we think we are.[/quote]

Honest and unbiased.

Well, from what i’ve seen and talked to from medical professionals, the evidence seems to say more that sedentary living and poor diet are the causes of poor health. Obesity is just a common symptom of that and comes with it’s own problems. But you can have a particular body type where being lazy and eating like shit won’t make you fat - but you’ll still have poor health and probably will die earlier than most. On the flip side, there are those people who got fat but are still active and healthy - just either they have a really tough time losing the weight and don’t care enough or it’s not a goal of theirs.

Fat people live lives of lies.