Moral Standards

[quote]Spry wrote:
These questions are pointless and are convoluted.

Morals? I protect my loved ones from danger.

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

My loyal dog or something? I’d protect it.

Your question is NOT relevant at all.[/quote]

I am going to take it for granted you have never sent a check to PETA and have never been subjected to their stupid brochures in your post box?

:slight_smile:

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
Nich wrote:
when I was a child,my mom would be so mad at me,I would have milk crates stuffed with her good down blankets,buckets with shredded newspaper stuff like that.
she reached in to get the blanket and out comes a baby skunk i found attched to the underside of a momma skunk squished on the road

why were you playing with road-kill ?

[/quote]

finally someone caught on.
I dunno I think I was hungry actually

I’d take option A if they were just insects or fish, let nature take its course. You can’t do much to nurse them back to health anyway! Once they’ve decided to die, they die.

If it was a dog or cat, I’d try to nurse it back to health.

If it was a bird, squirrel, or any other mammal, I’d take it to an animal shelter because they have special needs and I wouldn’t always know what to feed them in order to restore their health.

If it was a reptile or amphibian, I’d treat it the same as fish or insects.

Unless it was a turtle, in which case I’d try to nurse it back to health or take it to a shelter.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Spry wrote:

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

Your question is NOT relevant at all.

I am going to take it for granted you have never sent a check to PETA and have never been subjected to their stupid brochures in your post box?

:)[/quote]

I’ve seen the phamlets. A vegetarian tried to gross me out at dinner once. I kept eating unphased.

PETA are fools.

Is it moral to spend a single dollar on animal protection when there are starving children in this world?

Again, things aren’t so simple.

Animals are low on my list of priorities.

[quote]Spry wrote:

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

What makes your dog more important than a random animal you dont know ?

[quote]Otep wrote:
I had a much softer heart when younger. Then I grew up.[/quote]

I’m the same, although in the exact opposite direction.

I’m with Nich on this one. I’ll add that I’ll put an animal out of it’s misery if required. I kill rabbits with mixamatosis on site - not a nice way for them to go (the mixamotosis that is - not how I kill them).

Having said that, I’ll kill and eat anything that looks tasty without a second thought.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
I believe this has somewhat to do with the fact that the majority of the people (in the US anyways) do not really associate with real live animals during most of their lives (besides pets of course). I mean, when we go to the supermarket to purchase meat, it is already processed and packaged for us. There is no real association to the actual animal that it is coming from. We even have names for the foods (ie. pork and beef) that differ from the animal.

Oh, and I would let nature take its course. By this I mean if an animal killing another for survival. If the poor animal was like caught in a fence or something, I would help it. [/quote]

I agree with what you’re saying by the way. If you want to hear some crazy shit ask a vegan what they would do with all of the livestock if they had their way and people stopped “exploiting” animals.

The vast majority of vegetarians are spoiled sub-urban babies with no concept of reality.

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
Spry wrote:

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

Your question is NOT relevant at all.

What makes your dog more important than a random animal you dont know ? [/quote]

Nothing at all. Its more important to ME.

I make perfect sense.

A for the most part.

Unless I’m hunting and then it’s none of the above. I’m actively searching for animals, usually furry cute ones, to kill.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
How would you save insects or fish? Seriously, who nurses bugs and fish back to health?[/quote]

I nursed a beached shark back to health once. With my bare hands. And yes, I’m bragging. And yes, I ended up pretty bloody but it was worth it. Sharks are amazing animals.

Hmm I should probably clarify. I didn’t give it the heimlich. A previous fisherman’s hook was pinning one of its gills shut, so pulled it out and then gave it a little fish-CPR. You know, where you glide it back and forth in the water to get some air in there. I’m not a marine biologist but it worked. Why not help a fellow T-Creature out?

You D) people are a bunch of stupid assholes. I hope you die by breaking your ankle in the woods and having a bear “nurse” you back to health and you are haunted by the ghost of Charles Darwin for all eternity.

sorry, I have family members that think they are God

Umm…I’ll put an animal out of its misery, as long as it’s not inconvenient to me. I mean, they’re animals. Not people. Seriously, do you think people talked about this 200 years ago?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Umm…I’ll put an animal out of its misery, as long as it’s not inconvenient to me. I mean, they’re animals. Not people. Seriously, do you think people talked about this 200 years ago?[/quote]

I seem to think they were for some odd reason.

The reason I ask is that my kid brings up a situation where I think it had a profound impact on her.

In the spring my 4yr old and I are going for a walk. When we come across 2 baby squirrels that have fallen out of the nest. One was dead and cold. The older still breathing but not much longer to live. I knew the outcome if the Momma squirrel didn’t get her baby.

My daughter said we should take both home and rescue them. I told her we can interfere with nature and we have to let it take its course. Just watch what you see and learn from it is what I told her.

Its been month since this happened and she still brings this up and remembers it clearly. Where I am like dead animals?? Oh that. “Yeah honey I think the mommy squirrel came and got the one. Oh don’t worry about the one that was cold. Another animal got that one too.”

I don’t believe in lying to my kid about real things she sees. If she asks I tell her what she wants to know very basically. Was I wrong in this case?

I came to work one monday morning last winter after a particularly cold weekend. There was a dog curled up on the grass by the front door of my office. I watched it for a few minutes, and noticed it wasn’t breathing. Felt so bad for it. What a horrible way to go.

Well if I see bugs that are dieing I do them a favor and stamp them out.

I hit a bird with my car and I felt bad about it. Generally I don’t like to run over road kill. That I feel bad for. Just little critters getting caught on the highway and getting smacked by transports.

When I was a kid I use to love to kill frogs and mice and stuff. I could care less. But not I feel bad when I see living things die.

[quote]Spry wrote:

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

Not relevant to what? The guys allowed to ask a question.

last night on the way home from work i saw a raccoon in my street and my first instinct was to swerve to hit it and i did so, but he escaped by inches

[quote]Otep wrote:
Answer A.

I don’t justify it, I just don’t care whether animals live or die. I had a much softer heart when younger. Then I grew up.[/quote]

+1