T Nation

Moral Standards

This could be heated or not depends. And its kinda silly but relevant to how you live life.

I walk around sometimes and see animals such as insects dieing due to cold weather or something. Or when fishing you see a fish dieing on the top of the water but it is still breathing.

Do you?

A) Let nature take its course. Cause its a meal for some other critter. And that is just life.

B) Kill it now cause you hate to see other animals suffer needlessly. Its going to after all die and nature will consume the remains.

C) What there is animals dieing around me?

D) Try to nurse it back to health if possible.

I’ll give my 2 cents later…

How would you save insects or fish? Seriously, who nurses bugs and fish back to health?

when I was a child,my mom would be so mad at me,I would have milk crates stuffed with her good down blankets,buckets with shredded newspaper stuff like that.
she reached in to get the blanket and out comes a baby skunk i found attched to the underside of a momma skunk squished on the road.

she found a lil gorup of mice once and I ended up keeping them,she rather them be in a proper cage than running around eating the wires and stuff.

Lizards that didnt make it underground before the frost set in.

still to the day I will walk in to her house with a lizard in my cupped hands asking if she still has the liquid vitimins cause It got away from a cat,this happened bout 2 weeks ago infact.
Im weird I will watch a wild cat eating a rabbit,I appluad the cat for geting his mean but if he runs off or something and the rabbit is still alive Ill help the rabbit if I could.

thats what makes us human we can tell the difference between sensless suffering and killing,and we can make judgments accordingly.

another story I was driving home the other night and I saw a little kit fox on the side of the road,I pulled over and he saw the lights and walked up all curious like.
I kneeled down and he licked my hand but I reached to scratch his head he ran off.

I told my mom about this the other day nad she said I should have caught him,she used to have a fox when she was a kid and she loves the little critters.

if it was smashed all to hell but still breathing I would kill it,but if I could help it I would and it goes for anything really.

Answer A.

I don’t justify it, I just don’t care whether animals live or die. I had a much softer heart when younger. Then I grew up.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
How would you save insects or fish? Seriously, who nurses bugs and fish back to health?[/quote]

Duh, mouth-to-mouth.

Some people have no hearts.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
How would you save insects or fish? Seriously, who nurses bugs and fish back to health?[/quote]

I would feed the bugs to the fish. Then, when it got all better… I would bash it with a rock and fry it up for dinner.

But that’s just me.

E) take it home and eat it myself – I live at the top of the food chain mother-fuckers!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
E) take it home and eat it myself – I live at the top of the food chain mother-fuckers![/quote]

There’s a distinct chance we’re completely missing the point of this thread…

But at least we’re eating well!

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
E) take it home and eat it myself – I live at the top of the food chain mother-fuckers!

There’s a distinct chance we’re completely missing the point of this thread…

But at least we’re eating well!

[/quote]

…somewhere deep in my psyche I am remembering my grandmother’s obsession with starving kids in China.

[quote]Nich wrote:
when I was a child,my mom would be so mad at me,I would have milk crates stuffed with her good down blankets,buckets with shredded newspaper stuff like that.
she reached in to get the blanket and out comes a baby skunk i found attched to the underside of a momma skunk squished on the road
[/quote]

why were you playing with road-kill ?

Strange co-incidence.

Last week I was walking to work and saw a squirrel get run over by a car about a block ahead of me. He rolled a little ways like squirrels do when they get run over (it’s kind of funny actually). When I got to him I could see that every part of it’s body from about midway down was crushed and blood was coming out of its mouth and it was having difficulty breathing. It loooked like it was drowning in it’s own blood.

I stopped and watched it for a minute and felt a great deal of pity for the little critter. I wouldn’t have hesitated to put it out of it’s misery if I’d had a gun or a car, but the only means I had of ending it’s suffering would have been to stomp it’s little head into the road. I didn’t do it and this bothers me.

I eat meat like there’s no tomorrow, and I have no trouble killing an animal. But unnecessary suffering of another living creature, even if it’s just a tree rat bothers me. I had an opportunity to end it, but I didn’t because I found the means of killing it extremely distasteful. Basically, I failed to do the right thing because I was squemish.

A)… I believe everything that happens in the universe is part of a cosmic plan

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
A)… I believe everything that happens in the universe is part of a cosmic plan[/quote]

So you wouldn’t save your own mother?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
Nich wrote:
when I was a child,my mom would be so mad at me,I would have milk crates stuffed with her good down blankets,buckets with shredded newspaper stuff like that.
she reached in to get the blanket and out comes a baby skunk i found attched to the underside of a momma skunk squished on the road

why were you playing with road-kill ?

[/quote]

Because when we was young that was all we had punk!

[quote]Vegg wrote:
triple-10sets wrote:
A)… I believe everything that happens in the universe is part of a cosmic plan

So you wouldn’t save your own mother?[/quote]

I would.

But I believe the cosmic plan is written by 10000000 monkeys that mindlessly hammer on a typewriter.

Bugs and fish don’t have souls like cats and dogs.

[quote]orion wrote:
Vegg wrote:
triple-10sets wrote:
A)… I believe everything that happens in the universe is part of a cosmic plan

So you wouldn’t save your own mother?

I would.

But I believe the cosmic plan is written by 10000000 monkeys that mindlessly hammer on a typewriter.

[/quote]

Eh, I’d still vote for them over Obama or McCain.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Strange co-incidence.

Last week I was walking to work and saw a squirrel get run over by a car about a block ahead of me. He rolled a little ways like squirrels do when they get run over (it’s kind of funny actually). When I got to him I could see that every part of it’s body from about midway down was crushed and blood was coming out of its mouth and it was having difficulty breathing. It loooked like it was drowning in it’s own blood.

I stopped and watched it for a minute and felt a great deal of pity for the little critter. I wouldn’t have hesitated to put it out of it’s misery if I’d had a gun or a car, but the only means I had of ending it’s suffering would have been to stomp it’s little head into the road. I didn’t do it and this bothers me.

I eat meat like there’s no tomorrow, and I have no trouble killing an animal. But unnecessary suffering of another living creature, even if it’s just a tree rat bothers me. I had an opportunity to end it, but I didn’t because I found the means of killing it extremely distasteful. Basically, I failed to do the right thing because I was squemish. [/quote]

I believe this has somewhat to do with the fact that the majority of the people (in the US anyways) do not really associate with real live animals during most of their lives (besides pets of course). I mean, when we go to the supermarket to purchase meat, it is already processed and packaged for us. There is no real association to the actual animal that it is coming from. We even have names for the foods (ie. pork and beef) that differ from the animal.

Oh, and I would let nature take its course. By this I mean if an animal killing another for survival. If the poor animal was like caught in a fence or something, I would help it.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Strange co-incidence.

Last week I was walking to work and saw a squirrel get run over by a car about a block ahead of me. He rolled a little ways like squirrels do when they get run over (it’s kind of funny actually). When I got to him I could see that every part of it’s body from about midway down was crushed and blood was coming out of its mouth and it was having difficulty breathing. It loooked like it was drowning in it’s own blood.

I stopped and watched it for a minute and felt a great deal of pity for the little critter. I wouldn’t have hesitated to put it out of it’s misery if I’d had a gun or a car, but the only means I had of ending it’s suffering would have been to stomp it’s little head into the road. I didn’t do it and this bothers me.

I eat meat like there’s no tomorrow, and I have no trouble killing an animal. But unnecessary suffering of another living creature, even if it’s just a tree rat bothers me. I had an opportunity to end it, but I didn’t because I found the means of killing it extremely distasteful. Basically, I failed to do the right thing because I was squemish.

I believe this has somewhat to do with the fact that the majority of the people (in the US anyways) do not really associate with real live animals during most of their lives (besides pets of course). I mean, when we go to the supermarket to purchase meat, it is already processed and packaged for us. There is no real association to the actual animal that it is coming from. We even have names for the foods (ie. pork and beef) that differ from the animal.

Oh, and I would let nature take its course. By this I mean if an animal killing another for survival. If the poor animal was like caught in a fence or something, I would help it. [/quote]

My original post made it sound like I was really bent out of shape over this. I wasn’t. I didn’t stand there crying over the poor squirrel for very long. I weighed my options and not seeing any that I liked I moved on.

I grew up in the country, knew plenty of cows, chickens, pigs, etc. My uncle slaughtered pigs for sausage, and it was damned good sausage too, so I know I would have no problem killing my own food.

The interesting thing to me was how easy killing something with a car or gun is, but how unpleasant that is when there are no tools and no neccesity. I had a chance to help along a fellow living creature, but didn’t bother because I didn’t want to get my shoes dirty.

These questions are pointless and are convoluted.

Morals? I protect my loved ones from danger.

Animals? WTF? Who cares?

My loyal dog or something? I’d protect it.

Your question is NOT relevant at all.