T Nation

Moon Face

I have always heard about “moon face” and people who use steroids. Is this a condition caused by bloating and water retention while in a cycle? If so, does this condition vanish after the cycle is over, just as the excess water does? Or is this some sort of permanent facial change? I was reading a thread on another site where everyone was telling stories about how their friends’ faces changed after a cycle using Anadrol or Dianabol. If this condition is indeed caused by water retention, then using Arimidex would eliminate it, right?

Yes to all questions. With the exception of is it a permanent change, that’s a no. You only look bloated when you’re bloated.

I’ve never heard the term “moon-face” before, but I certainly get it when I’m on heavy androgens. It does indeed go away. I can see the changes related to the comments people make from photos that are taken throughout the year.

The only way you may permanently change your face is with high GH use (forehead, jaw, etc.)

Using an aromatase inhibitor with anadrol is useless since anadrol does not aromatise. It interacts directly with the estrogen receptor. Using some nolvadex may help to some degree, but it would also reduce the gains.

Once again p-22 picks up the ball. Thanks bro, I forgot to mention that.

Having moon face is most definitely a result of using aromatizables w/out an estrogen inhibitor or antagonist.
A little trick to combat this, other than diet and ancillaries, is go in the sauna a time or two per week for 15-20 mins…seems to help.

MK

[quote]mikekatz wrote:
Having moon face is most definitely a result of using aromatizables w/out an estrogen inhibitor or antagonist.
A little trick to combat this, other than diet and ancillaries, is go in the sauna a time or two per week for 15-20 mins…seems to help.

MK[/quote]

Just make sure you are replacing all the water lost in the sauna by mouth, as dehydration will only cause your kidney’s to further retain sodium and water. The best method of keeping down bloat is to control both estrogen levels and your carb intake, and drink a lot of water, which will lower your sodium levels, which inturn will decrease water retention.

To add to what P22 and MikeKatz has said…Cranberry is key. This will help with you kidney pain and water retention for sure.
DA