T Nation

Monsanto is Evil

I know this org has been discussed before on this site. And I am sure I am preaching to the choir, but please try to inform the rest of the Sheeple of what is happening. This agency has more capos in the govt bureaucracies meant to protect us than probably any other "evil" agency yet it remains a secret to almost the entire US population.

Research this company, find the facts, join the CFS. Say no to GMO foods. This will be the end of us all.

Thank you for your time.
/rant

Yeah, they suck ass. They have a building at the local university here.

And if any of the students or professors were to attempt any studies that showed the dangers of their "science" (as many have done so already and presented to the USDA and FDA and EPA, which are overseen by past employees of Monsanto and their subsidiaries) the funding would cease, and the monetary extortion would begin.

Money makes the world go round. It also bends laws. Until it doesn't we have to resort to protests and the like. But yea, fuck them guys. It goes to show you that people worry more about making money and controlling shit rather then the health of their family and friends.

Yeah, I don't think I would have as much of a problem with them if they weren't fucking with seeds, and making those terminator seeds. Fucking with the food supply like that is extremely dangerous and should be illegal.

I should also add, about not having a problem with them, that the terminator seed and fucking with farmers is what I've heard about them. I can only imagine the things they do that aren't well known.

Exactly, you have to question "where does the application of the terminator gene end?" That is a GMO, which means in theory it can be applied to any other organism. I just can't fathom how any group would be granted the ability to Patent Life! Next they will find a way to Patent water. Oh did I mention that they have developed spermicidal corn? Sounds like population control to me.

And Matty you are right, they have recouped almost as much in litigation against farmers as from the sales of their products alone. Somehow the "Mediocre Courts" have deemed it the farmer's fault that there is wind, rain, animals and other natural means by which cross-pollination of plants occur. Not to mention that pesky natural law of propagation that plants seem to favor.

So yeah these mobsters can encroach any farmers land without consent (I'm sorry but isn't that trespassing?) and take samples and then produce results saying the farmer had committed copyright infringement, but when asked to produce these same tests or test samples in court, all that can be found are documents which support their claim with no availability for un-biased scientists to perform the same tests.

Then we get into the whole problem with GMO to begin with, the most common method to defeat a cell's natural defense wall is to use a carrier bacteria or virus, like our friend E. Coli. On top of that on the genetic sequence itself they add a marker to determine if the genetic modification is a success, guess what that marker is?

An anti-biotic, so now we run the risk of bacterium becoming super resilient to those things which traditionally killed them as they are given the opportunity to adapt at a significantly faster pace than normal. Oh wait, isn't that happening? And if they were so awesome and beneficial why would they have been continuously defeating legislation that would require the labeling of GMO food? Oh, they don't want to hassle with the thing called culpability.

What the fuck is the value of a dollar, when there are no humans left to value it.....

Yeah, Monsanto sucks. But do you really think injecting vectors into bacteria with antibiotic resistant genes is creating super bugs that adapt at super fast pases? Using bacteria do transmit vectors/plasmids is done all the time in the biotech industry. I just did it myself a few weeks ago. Used RNAi in C. elegans to knockdown their bli-4 gene. know how I did it? Inserted the target bli-4 gene into a vector with tetracycline and carenacillin resistance genes into E.coli OP50. Fed the E.coli to the C. elegans and knocked down the gene. Guess what we did after? Simply Autoclaved the Left over bacteria like you would bacteria that wasn't resistant to those antibiotics.

Probably because of they lose money from overreactions like this one. People will see that something is a GMO and think of some mad scientist in a lab creating their food in a petri dish and not want to eat it. There's a sort of gross factor to it for some people. Kind of like the thread that popped up a while ago about creating meat from stem cells

Yeah man, they even gave us rBST. Research that stuff!

lower nutritional quality to the milk, but other than that theres nothing really wrong with milk containing gh. its a peptide hormone so your body just breaks it down like it would any other string of amino acids.

btw just trying to play devils advocate here and get some of the science behind GMOs debated

I was trying for the same thing. rBST has NO downside, people just lack of understanding of the hormone and how it is harvested. People fail to understand a bovine hormone directly injected into another species' bloodstream will have zero effect. The public lacks the ability to understand that and many other points. In fact they don't even realize insulin for diabetics is harvested the same way as rBST. The only reason the hormone was taken off shelves is because people fail to understand science.

Your example of lower quality milk is mistaken. Kind of pointless because the hormone is gone these days.

lower nutritional quality to the milk, but other than that theres nothing really wrong with milk containing gh. its a peptide hormone so your body just breaks it down like it would any other string of amino acids.

btw just trying to play devils advocate here and get some of the science behind GMOs debated
[/quote]

I like debates. That's how I learn. I don't know everything, especially with regards to biotech. My view in that regards is limited. So I liked the previous post in which you detailed some of the procedures that I would not have otherwise have known. That's pretty interesting.

Overall, I have a logical mind, I am no scientist, and I agree that SOME of the things that have been advanced with regards to food and the increased production and distribution is good, what the overall basis for my original rant was how Monsanto has now turned into mobsters in which their science is the only science and clamps down on any evidence that may counter their own findings. Once you cease to objectively prove or disprove things you open up a chasm that swallows proper advancement.

I like debates. That's how I learn. I don't know everything, especially with regards to biotech. My view in that regards is limited. So I liked the previous post in which you detailed some of the procedures that I would not have otherwise have known. That's pretty interesting.

Overall, I have a logical mind, I am no scientist, and I agree that SOME of the things that have been advanced with regards to food and the increased production and distribution is good, what the overall basis for my original rant was how Monsanto has now turned into mobsters in which their science is the only science and clamps down on any evidence that may counter their own findings. Once you cease to objectively prove or disprove things you open up a chasm that swallows proper advancement.
[/quote]

monsanto has definitely become way to powerful and theres definitely 2 sides to the coin with the industry. monsantos roundup is an example of that. its starting to appear to be harsher on the environment than previously thought

to patrick and/or relentless - Please find a study that shows milk is a lower quality while the nutrition needs are met through the diet of the cow. In fact I know a few Dr.s and Professors would would all love to see this science, compared to just speculation by people who do not understand the science behind the production of the hormones and other products. I am by no means a Monsanto guru but the products they have produced are pretty impressive stuff, at least to a hick from ID.

A professor I had for microbio also happened to be a dairy farmer and brought up lower nutritional value of the milk as a possible concern with rbST not a definitive thing.

I'm looking through some of the literature now and you actually find the complete opposite. Higher protein and fat concentration with lower lactose with rbST cows. Some studies have shown higher somatic cell count but still within the accepted ranges

Rejecting all GMO as dangerous is silly. There are obvious benefits from improving organism genetics in a controlled and specific manner. What bugs me is the possible dangers because of our lack of complete understanding of genetics.

Remember, at one time we had no idea what a carcinogen was. Only after we realised that certain chemicals caused people to die in strange and horrible ways did we realise what was going on.

Another example is thalidomide. A whole branch of chemical biology was completely unknown, and it took many thousands of horribly deformed children, and the misery of their families for us to discover it.

In the history of science, the modus operandi has always been "fuck up first, explain why after". I fear that when we fuck up with genetic engineering, the consequences will be dire.

rBST has been studied more than any other drug in history, BEFORE it hit the market all those years ago. Peoples lack of understanding drove it into extinction. The sad part, all of the benefits to the dairy industry. More nutritional liquid all while using less resources including the best production from highest producing cow making her even the more efficient. Yet milk prices are still tanked. Sucks to be in the field these days.

edited for clarification

monsanto has been doing a major PR push in my area. they donated tons of money to schools and curriculum development. There image is in the shitter and they know it. What did they expect when they tried to take over food production?

Possibly the most dangerous company on the planet. I like GM foods but in their hands.....