Monosaturated Fat from Olive oil

I read a post Bill Roberts made regarding MUFAs and how 1 table spoon of Olive Oil should be included in my low carb Metabolic Drive shake. I was wondering if it was ok to use 1 table spoon per shake if I’m drinking upwards of 3 shakes per day. Will this be going overboard with the monosaturated fats?

Basically how many tablespoons of Olive Oil should be consumed per day to be beneficial to my health and aid abdominal fat reduction, as Bill Roberts suggests?

Thanks!!

Three tablespoons of olive oil daily is far from going overboard.

Yeah that’s too much in my opinion.

Oleic acid in Olive Oil is non essential (but greatly beneficial) to the body. But you also get it in fattier cuts of red meat.

Replace the other two times w/ fish oil (not as fun) and walnut oil.

The amount of olive oil you consume per day should depend on your total daily fat intake.
Are you on low/mod/high carbs etc…? MUFAs are imporant, but overall you want a balance of fat sources. Saturated(meat/eggs) Monounsaturated(olive oil/nuts) Polyunsaturated (fish/fish oil).

I personally consume 3 table spoons of olive oil per day w/ shakes/meals along with fish oil, flaxseed, walnuts etc.

My carbs are on the low side.

I have the following supplements for my diet plan.

Superfood
Low carb Metabolic Drive shakes
HOT-ROX Extreme
Flameout
Fiber
CLA

[quote]hexx wrote:
Yeah that’s too much in my opinion.

Oleic acid in Olive Oil is non essential (but greatly beneficial) to the body. But you also get it in fattier cuts of red meat.

Replace the other two times w/ fish oil (not as fun) and walnut oil. [/quote]

What’s wrong with three tablespoons of Olive oil exactly?

There’s nothing wrong with it, i just said it was a bit excessive considering if you eat fatty cuts of meat you also receive the benefits of oleic acid.

To balance this out it would probably be more effective to balance it out with Polys or MCTs.

It’s just a question of calories. Each tbsp is 120 calories. Over a month, for example, an extra 120 calories per day adds up almost exactly to an extra pound of bodyfat (assuming no change in energy expenditure, which probably is not an exactly correct assumption but which serves for illustration anyway.)

So if keeping calories pretty tight, the added tbsp either has this effect or one has to for example reduce protein by 30 grams per day, or carbs by 30 grams per day, or some hybrid of those two. It might be chosen to use only 2 tbsp per day for those reasons (I do when on quite low calories.)

HK and pvieira are certainly right that inherently there’s nothing excessive at all about 3 tbsp/day and it can be perfectly appropriate or actually preferred.

On the research, I haven’t seen anything that tried to determine a dose/response curve. But a fairly typical value in studies showing body composition benefits to olive oil intake had diets with 20% of calories from MUFA.

So for example on a 2000 cal/day diet that would be 400 MUFA cal/day, which would be 44 g MUFA per day.

Since each tbsp of olive oil has 10 g of MUFA, three tbsp is hardly excessive if the calories are no problem.

But if the calories are a problem, two tbsp seems to be substantially helpful even though below that studied value.

Haymaker33,
Your supplement list looks pretty good, but why the CLA? Flameout contains a good ratio of CLA in it.

That’s a question I have had.

The daily recommended CLA amount I have seen is 3-4 grams, reading 3 research double-blind trials. It is also the daily serving size for CLA gels. Flameout only contains 212mg of CLA t10 and c12 and 140mg of CLA c9 and t11.

Now I am sure I have this wrong, but whats the difference between regular CLA and the CLA found in Flameout? Why is it in such small amounts compared to the recommended daily serving for straight CLA gels?