Monopoly Questions

Hey all
I was playing monopoly with my friends the other day.

I made a trade of properties with my friend and during the trade he asked me how much money I have. I lied to him and told him I had a certain amount when I had about double.

He was so mad he gave all his money and his properties to our other friend screwing me over.

Who was in the wrong?

Were you playing with monopoly money or real money?

Either way, I say you are in the wrong because you lied about the amount of money you had.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
Hey all
I was playing monopoly with my friends the other day…

Who was in the wrong?[/quote]

You boys sure know how to party don’t you! You were all in the wrong for playing Monopoly in the first place.

You sound like the people I played Monopoly with when I was in jail.

Fuck Monopoly. Real T-men play Scrabble and Apples to Apples.

Monompoly is all about screwing everyone else. Of course you were wrong because you got caught in the lie.

Were you playing by official rules or house rules?

It’s been a while since I played, but, if you were playing official rules, I don’t think there is a rule regarding your money. But there is a rule against giving away property.

However, if you play house rules, I can’t help you. Only you and your friend know those rules.

Isn’t the whole fun of that game to lie, scheme, plot, threaten, cajole and ultimately screw everyone else before they do it to you?

I’ve even had my wife threaten me with no sex for a month because I wouldn’t sell her the property she need to complete one of her set.

As long as the rules are respected, we play “anything goes.” I think your friend should stick to tic-tac-toe, tiddlywinks and similar games until he matures a bit.

By the way, idiots who put money on the free parking spot get a slap on the back of the head. That has to be the stupidest house rule ever.

Monopoly destroys families.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Were you playing by official rules or house rules?

It’s been a while since I played, but, if you were playing official rules, I don’t think there is a rule regarding your money. But there is a rule against giving away property.

However, if you play house rules, I can’t help you. Only you and your friend know those rules.[/quote]

I Agree…From what I remember, there’s not a rule regarding telling your opponent your true money situation, but giving property away to another player to aid in the bankruptcy of another is against the rules. You would win in forfeit. If you need me to come over and make them vacate your property, just let me know.

~KONG

[quote]Ryu wrote:

[/quote]

Along with freindships…

Neither of you was wrong. I’m not sure why your money situation was an issue. Either it was a fair trade or it wasn’t, unless he was trying to cut you a break because of your $ situation - which is stupid in its own right.

Basically, what he did was die and bequeath his property to his family (the other player). So, you’re screwed. It’s a douche move for sure.

My advice, don’t play with him anymore, citing his past douchebaggery.

DB

[quote]pookie wrote:
Isn’t the whole fun of that game to lie, scheme, plot, threaten, cajole and ultimately screw everyone else before they do it to you?[/quote]

I’m not sure the game is complex enough to incorporate all of these things. I don’t know that I’ve ever had occasion to lie in Monopoly - it’s all about the money. The only way I know to be marginally dishonest (aside from skimming from the bank) in that game is to not tell someone who isn’t paying attention that you landed on his property.

That’s just not right.

Doesn’t “anything goes” mean there are no rules?

[quote]By the way, idiots who put money on the free parking spot get a slap on the back of the head. That has to be the stupidest house rule ever.
[/quote]

What’s so wrong about found money? It’s a part of life, is it not? Think of it as government subsidies or changes in tax or accounting laws that allow businesses big tax breaks or one time writeoffs. It’s all perfectly plausible.

DB

[quote]pookie wrote:
By the way, idiots who put money on the free parking spot get a slap on the back of the head. That has to be the stupidest house rule ever.

[/quote]

These are the same idiots who say you can’t collect rent while in jail. House rules suck. Learn to play the game right.

[quote]Ryu wrote:

[/quote]

No, theme versions of Monoply destroy families. Who wants to play Star Wars Monoploy?

I’ll trade you Dantooine for Endore. It just ain’t right.

I’m a pretty hardcore monopoly player myself. I’m pretty imposing, so I can usually intimidate my opponents into making trades that disproportionately benefit me. However, I don’t use too many strong-arm tactics, as that would cause my opponents to gang up on me. That said, I won’t even play with anyone who doesn’t have official documentation of a .500 career record or better. Other men do not dare bring their girlfriends/wives to the monopoly table when facing me, as I will no doubt steal them by the end of the game due to my overwhelming prowess.

In my family the laws of the United States and the State of California take over where the rules leave off. As a result our games end up being a mess of intertwined contracts granting privileges and restrictions on just about every deal we make.

There is no OSHEA or ADA though. They would probably make some good chance cards.

[quote]etaco wrote:

There is no OSHEA or ADA though. They would probably make some good chance cards.[/quote]

But are your accounting practices SOX compliant?

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
What’s so wrong about found money? It’s a part of life, is it not? Think of it as government subsidies or changes in tax or accounting laws that allow businesses big tax breaks or one time writeoffs. It’s all perfectly plausible.[/quote]

There’s already Chance and Community Chest for that.

Putting cash on the Free Parking space injects unearned money into the game and lets bad player survive longer than they should. It also turns some games into 4+ hours marathonw. Sticking to the rules lets us finish usually in 90-120 minutes.

Other annoying house rules are selling back houses and hotels for the same price you bought them; not paying the mortgage fees when paying off a mortgage. Basically, any house rule that removes a fee or adds money into the game accomplishes nothing useful, except drag it out uselessly.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
These are the same idiots who say you can’t collect rent while in jail. House rules suck. Learn to play the game right.[/quote]

Exactly.

I don’t know why everyone feels the need to change all the rules with that game. People don’t change the movement of the pieces at Chess, or the values of the letters in Scrabble… why does everyone dick around with the Monopoly rules? The games is a lot better when played correctly.