Mono

Here’s the deal…I’m pretty sure I have mono, and I’m going to the doctor’s tommorrow to get tested. Of course I’m going to follow the doctor’s advice, but usually the information he gives is on the extremely conservative side. I was hoping to see if anyone had experience/advice on how long I’ll likely be out of training, how I should be eating, what’s safte to do and what’s not, whatever.

I know that this isn’t something to mess with, and to be honest, I couldn’t lift right now if I wanted to. Give me whatever info/advice/experience you have, please.

mono?as in the thing you get from kissing sometimes?

I’d just heal all the way and then start again.If you try to lift before you are fully well it might lead to more time off.

No way to tell for sure. When your liver enzymes are normal, it’s ok to train again. Not before then.

Eat your ass off.

High protein and low carb to avoid geting fat and muscle atrophy.

You wont be hungry though, you will have to force it.

-chris

ya, I’m not hungry at all…I’m having to force-feed myself just to eat at all. It’s been like a week since I’ve lifted, and it’s already driving me crazy.

Several years ago I got Epstien Bar Virus, like Mono but worse. Had to take almost 6 weeks off of lifting, lost almost 30 lbs of mainly muscle. It sucked, plus my throat was sore I was throwing up all of the time, had to go to the hospital, and couldn’t work. But the good news was in 6 months I was pretty much back to normal after I started lifting again. I think some people believe if you exert yourself when you have mono you can do serious damage to your liver. I was so tired lifting wasn’t on my mind, nor was eating, I couldn’t even play video games, just watch TV, drink some liquid, sleep 14 hours, and throw up. It sucked, but again I came back to a high level in about 6 months. The first weeks back are rough though.

But, if you want an awesome before and after pic, take one of yourself right as you are beginning to recover from Mono and then a few months later, you will look like the Bill Philips commericials! Good luck with it.

i had a not too bad case of mono while in college. i was only out for a month but it was the laziest month of my life. i had about enough energy to walk to the dining hall and eat and walk back to bed. i didnt lose any weight because i forced myself to eat as much as possible at every meal. obviously i lost strength but not as bad as i had expected.

my advice is eat and sleep as much as you can and hopefully it won’t last too long.

the other thing is…I’ve only got like 3 weeks till school starts. I can’t afford to waste the first few weeks of the semester. It’s my last sememster of college, and I’m not coming back in the spring. I was wondering if some Spike would help me get through the day…any thoughts?

As long as you rest these next three weeks, and I mean REALLY rest (I dealt with this last year in my senior year of highschool, and because I didnt rest (went to school every day) it prolonged the effects), you should be OK. In three weeks you should be able to make it through your day, just TAKE IT EASY the next three weeks. Do yourself a favor, please.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
the other thing is…I’ve only got like 3 weeks till school starts. I can’t afford to waste the first few weeks of the semester. It’s my last sememster of college, and I’m not coming back in the spring. I was wondering if some Spike would help me get through the day…any thoughts?[/quote]

No. Do NOT ingest caffeine or other stimulants while you have mono. That’s what they told me.

the problem here is that everyone’s course is a little different with mono. Some have a mild, flu-like illness that resolves quickly without complication while others have an enlarged liver and spleen and feel tired for 6 weeks.

the dreaded fear and classic (but not too common) complication is the kid or guy that starts running around outside a week later when he feels better and ruptures his spleen (your spleen can get quite large with mono and is dangerous if it does rupture or begin to bleed as it is REALLY vascular and would require emergent surgery). So, exertion for many weeks is something I would avoid without a doubt. Unfortunately when I had mono I slept for about 16 hours a day for 2 weeks. It just rendered me exhausted. Do things natural right now so you are at least rested for class. Avoid stimulants for a couple weeks. it is one thing to mask fatigue when you are healthy but when you are sick, don’t fight it.

Good Luck!