T Nation

Mongolian Grill & Forearm Development

I ate last night at a mongolian grill. If you haven't been, it is one of those places that has a make line set up like a buffet. You pick your meat, fill your bowl with whatever vegetables and seasonings you want and the cook it together like a stir fry. The grill is usually a large circle with several cooks and multiple orders.

These cooks are an impressive sight. They use @3 feet long sticks to handle the food. They move at a blurring speed, over many orders. One thing I noticed, to a man, they all had remarkable forearms. I spend a lot of time working grip, with multiple implements. These guys had more definition and detail than me.

This just got me thinking about a Waterbury article about frequency. He spoke about a figure skater’s legs or a mechanic’s forearms. It wasn’t the load that builds these up, but the frequent stimulation. Watching these guys was a firsthand observation. I don’t know if there is any lessons to be learned from this, but it is nice to see something you read about in motion.

Hmm… just thinking out loud, but couldn’t you replicate this frequency by carrying a gripper around and working it for a few hours per day?

yeah…then a few hours curling barbells, a few hours benching…problem is on a whole-body level it’s quite impractical

I know a Paintless dent repair guy who has mad strength in his hands and fore arms. Pushing car door dents in with implements all day will do the trick very well.

Yeah, there’s a lot of truth to frequency of stimulation building impressive muscle groups.

Maybe Lee Priest worked at the Mongolian Grill?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
yeah…then a few hours curling barbells, a few hours benching…problem is on a whole-body level it’s quite impractical[/quote]

Working all of your muscle groups would be impractical in that sense, but forearms obviously benefit.

-dizzle

I knew a guy who had a job doing nothing but polishing chrome all day by hand, and he had some mad forearm development.

I always wonder when this stuff is mentioned how long it takes those people to build up that development. It might work, eventually, but is it really the most efficient route?

im a chef.chopping and whisking all day def nails your forearms…

When I was 17, I worked at a friendly’s ice cream shop. I didnt start training until I was 20, but lemme add that leaning into a cooler all day and scooping ice cream gives quite a forearm burn -lol

S

Stu, i had the exact same job at “The Custard Cup” so i know exactly what ya mean.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

On the whole body level training all muscle groups at all times would be impractical.

BUT

If your think about it your forearms and hand are your most important muscles. I say thia in the same sense that the tires are the most important part of a car. All the horse power in the world won’t get you anywhere without some tires. And if your tires can’t grip then you are not going fast at all.

So in the same vein feet/ankles and forearms/hands are your two most important parts because they are what connect all your badass muscles to things in your world. So I would say that developing a deadly kungfu grip something that should be emphasized.

I know for sure that in a grappling/MMA context a grip goes a long way and the stabler your wrist the stiffer you can stick someone in the chin.

-chris